Favorite Books

Whiplash

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Doris Kearns Goodwin, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. A decent biography of Lincoln, but even more a portrait of the time period and its major players.

Walter Karp, The Story of Two Wars Which Altered Forever the Political Life of the American Republic 1890-1920. Provides a unique look at American governance from the lead up to the Spanish-American War, to the conclusion of the Great War. According to Karp, Presidents McKinley and Wilson were conniving war mongers, and the Congress used war to, on a bipartisan basis, distract citizens from domestic issues. The greatest assertion made in this look at history is that the Great War was Wilson's excuse to destroy all proponents of reform... permanently.

Frank Herbert, Dune. A political drama that pits Renaissance-type societies against each other in the far future. The book makes consequential scenes that were considered unimportant in the movies, and does a good job of bringing a sort of romance to a distant age.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Honor Harrington series by David Weber, it is IMHO a brilliant piece of writing. It is basically a fusion of Horatio Nelson's time and military crossed with CS Forrester's Horatio Hornblower series for both characters and cultures involved, especially in the early books the political environment is very much like western Europe from right before the Reign of Terror in France through the Napoleonic wars, but also the military aspects follows the evolution in military technology that happened from before WWI through to WWII, set 2000 years in the future from now with a female lead the equal of any Navy Captain fictional or historical. Before I encountered this series when it first started I would have said the Amber series by Roger Zelazny, and possibly Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress for single shot title as favourite.

My fictional preferences tend to be in Science Fiction and Fantasy, military (Naval mainly) and espionage/political/mysteries, although this last grouping is a minor area compared to the first two. My non-fiction tastes tend to be far more eclectic ranging from hard sciences to history to current events/politics etc.