Fairy Tail

DrumRoll

Well to put it simply to each is his own right. Like Max said and a few others, if you watched the Jap Dub first your probably going to go watching it like Byakuya_Boy, but you must admit man your comments were a bit biased unlike Koby who did point out specifically to what he did not like while you no offense seemed as if you were just bashing the hell out of the Eng Dub version.

So all in all I rather enjoyed the Eng Dub very much so far and think all the voices much it quite splendidly and yes I did switch over to the Jap Dub at times to hear how they sound like and I must say they did quite a good job. Even though my anime blood is made of English Dubness I give credit where it is due and both the Eng and Jap did a great job. It is just a matter of weather you able to adapt to either one and which one you watched first.

But one thing we can all agree on in the end is that Fairy Tail is an awesome series and one of the best out there.

I don't really like happy anyway. I think he's one of FT weakest characters and I bloody hated that arc where there were cats everywhere:( Especially the one who kept moving his damn arm all the time!

Happy has always been one of my favorite Fairy Tail characters. It’s true that he’s one of the weakest, but you can’t have every single character possessing crazy strength and endurance. He is a cat after all. And unlike Lily, can’t manifest.

Regarding the dubbed version I can’t say that I have been overly impressed. It’s a valid point in saying that you can’t compare the dub to the sub without having a personal bias, but there’s nothing wrong with saying which you prefer. You probably should watch each version as though you’re enjoying it for the first time, but for those who have seen an adequate amount in both sub and dub it’s hard not to have an opinion over which one is preferred.

As for the English voice actors, I honestly don’t have a huge problem with Natsu. I did at first, but after a while it grew on me. Todd is a good choice, although he needs more vigor in his lines. I can’t say that I was surprised when I heard he had been chosen to voice the dragon-slayer, but like Koby mentioned, he lacks the energy and playful personality that the Japanese voice actor brings. Happy’s voice is god-awful! While the Japanese voice is seemingly perfect for Happy, there is NOTHING that could make Happy’s English voice actor work. For those who have seen both versions and think Happy’s English voice is fine for the character—then as said above—you seriously need higher standards. A definite recasting is needed. Erza and Lucy are fine. And Gray…mixed feelings there. Needs more “feeling” in his words. But I wouldn’t say the English dub for Fairy Tail is “horrible”.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I'm fairly new to anime, I'm going to go off on a limb and guess that the reason why the dub is getting so much hate is because the majority of people first watched the series with the Japanese voice cast. You tend to get used to the style and voice acting of whatever you watch first so it implants the idea that "this character must act and sound a certain way". So when the sub viewers watch the dubbed version they find it hard to accept the new voices compared to their original experience. Of course the reverse can have the same effect. I personally watch the dubbed version of a series first and occasionally give the subbed a try. However when I watch subbed I can never really get used to the characters voices even if they are the original cast. But that's just my opinion.

I liked Funimation compared to the other english dub.. that one sounded like they recorded it in a basement -_-

As far as Natsu goes.. he's done by a talented voice actor (Todd Haberkorn) but really, he normally does the goofy character/guy who's getting his butt saved by some random chick with powers. On the other hand he's one of the few guys I recognize in dubs that sound decent doing "power screams" and crap.

I found Gray dry and boring.. it's not a bad voice but I get what you mean.. lacking in intensity. Happppy though, that hurt things for me. But in another sense, can you really match the voice of happy in the subs. It's so perfect. High pitched, a little cute but oblivious/semi-stupid... such an odd but great character. On the other hand I like Laxus' voice and I think Erza's is pretty good.

I don't really like happy anyway. I think he's one of FT weakest characters and I bloody hated that arc where there were cats everywhere:( Especially the one who kept moving his damn arm all the time!

How can you not like Happy?!:oh: Of course he's weak ( i mean come on he is a cat ) but he is so funny and his japanese voice is SOOOO beautiful which all makes him adorable. I mean the dude is my wallpaper. sorry to hear you hate him though

Personally, I think the Funi dub is half decent, but if there's one thing that urks me, it's Happy's voice. Holy Frigging crap, I swear, I can't tell whether he's a male or female with that type of voice. Don't get me wrong but Happy, PLEASE FIND ANOTHER VOICE ACTOR/ACTRESS. As for the others, I guess they fit but they really lack that umph from the original voices, if you understand what I'm saying...

After finishing the complete first season, i'd say it's overall decent, some of the voices weren't the best choice but the dialogue and scripting and the delivery of the lines make it enjoyable and like i guessed, the VA's got better when the plot started to thicken and the show started to pick up, if they ever get season 2 i hope they do better and have better casting

Doesn't Funimation screw up every series they got ahold of?

At least that's been my experience.

They didn't screw up DB/DBZ/DBGT, Baki The Grappler, Lupin The 3rd, or FMA/FMA:B (okay maybe a little on FMA:B, though it was only because, the kid who originally voiced Alphonse, grew up to the point to where he couldn't do the voice anymore)

• 2 weeks later...

i am the biggest nut bout fairy tail, i'v watch the sub all the way to the latest ep and read the manga up to the latest chap TWICE (yeh i know i'm nuts XD)

now when i heard natsu's voice in the dub is was mortified (oh and also in a murderous rage shortly after wards)

i first had to ENDURE happy's voice... OMG FUNI YOU GUY'S ARE ASSHOLES I HATE YOU, F**K MY FAVORITE ANIME OF ALL TIME UP WILL YOU!!! BURN IN HELL YOU MOTHERF**KERS!!! :anger: (RAGE OVER.. for now)

but being a true FT fan i persevered. lucy's voice was ok, next up gray ok

most of the other cast were either ok to great (mirajanes was awesome ^^)

but what i was really waiting for was my favorite anime character of all time.. ERZA

when i heard her voice it made my heart light up with tremendous joy, my hope in the dubbed fairy tail was restored ^^ (i was in seventh heaven XD)

but because of natsu's and especially happy's voice... i find watching the dub to be a grind... a painful grind...

also WTH is up with the narrators voice i really don't like it, it sounds lame and like he's talking to children imo