Last Live-Action Movie you Watched?

Koby

Went to see A Star is Born last month. Lady Gaga was excellent. Bradley Cooper was good too, but he looked so greasy throughout the movie.

Looking forward to seeing "How to Train your Dragon III" ... now that's a big difference from the other movie, but I'll bet I enjoy it even more. 😋    

• 2 weeks later...

So Alita: Battle Angel [2019] was actually pretty good. Only a few small differences between the anime OVA and the movie and imo the added scenes were definitely for the better as the OVA felt very choppy and rushed, while the movie worked. There was a little bit in the 2nd quarter of the film that kind of dragged for a moment, but it picked back up and overall we liked it.

If you thought the "love story" was bad in the live-action, you should have seen it in the original anime OVA. The movie at least tried to build it somewhat.

On 2/2/2019 at 2:27 PM, anifan said:

Went to see A Star is Born last month. Lady Gaga was excellent. Bradley Cooper was good too, but he looked so greasy throughout the movie.

She really was. I expected a good performance for a singer, but she gave a great performance that puts many actors to shame.

As for Cooper, yeah, he was really greasy, although I believe that helped sell the point of his unhealthy lifestyle. It is not unusual for addicts to not take showers when they're on a streak, and they usually end up looking really greasy.

Great movie, overall. Nice cinematography, performances, and music make for a fun watch.

On 2/6/2019 at 5:53 AM, Scyrous said:

Overlord (2018).

Had my eye on this ever since it was announced. Watched a WEB-DL version last night.

Admittedly it was rather disappointing. Plot turned out the be fairly generic. The ''villain'' also felt very forced.

Same.

I expected more. I had heard it was really entertaining and clever...I just couldn't see any of that. The first half was extremely boring. It takes quite some time to develop the characters and atmosphere, yet it never really pays off as the ending is super generically boring and uninspired. It was almost too B-movie-esque if that makes any sense.

The film clearly had budget limitations but they could've made something more interesting out of the premise.

As for me; yesterday, I watched John Wick 2.

It was relatively fun. The first act bored me a bit as I believe it suffered from the same problem horror movies suffer, which is over-explanation. I didn't need so much information about the Hitman underworld. Part of what made the first one so good was the mystery surrounding John Wick and his world; knowing that there's an all-seeing group of killers was enough. I didn't need to know about their pacts, high table, and what not.

The first act gets really caught up on it. We see a really long montage of John getting equipment which serves as visual exposition of how the underworld works, but it was just too much! The movie got lost in world-building which is weird because that wasn't really the strongest of points in the first one. It had only what it needed to pique your interest and nothing more. In this one, world-building dominates a large part of the focus of the film.

As far as choreography goes, well, it's John Wick, so that's pretty self-explanatory. I did see more digital blood splatter and Stormtrooper-aim in this film than in the first one. There were also noticeably less interesting set pieces in the first action scenes than in the original. Many fights were very linear and while they're dynamic in terms of camera movement and cinematography, the movements and cleverness of the kills were not on par with the original.

The last act was my favorite part of the movie. The last scene is especially good.

That's all I say because anything else would be spoilers.

Overall, it was a fun watch but not nearly as good as the original. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good (pure)action flick.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Predaking-117 said:

Captain Marvel. Screw this haters, I enjoyed this movie, and now I really can't wait for Endgame.

Almost all of the "hate" has nothing to do with the film itself and everything to do with Brie Larson as a human being outside of the film.

I'm going to watch it regardless because I've seen them all so far and I can separate my dislike from someone irl from a movie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Predaking-117 said:

I might as well be that person and ask, but Disney Marvel, Fox Marvel, or Sony Marvel?

I should clarify I was referring to the MCU when I said 'Marvel flick'. Out of the 20-something movies made so far, quite a few of them just feel very average, especially the music. I can't think of a single track from Captain Marvel that stood out to me.

I suppose the origin movies would feel kinda average, but have to do some things to get a character's backstory out of the way in moving forward. In this case, not everyone knows who Carol Danvers is, and of course general audiences who don't read comics (or in some cases can't be bothered to do any research) will likely just take things at face value and assume the comics are the exact thing and move on, hoping for either the same level of entertainment next time, or something better somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

Shazam (2019).

While it was funny at times, ultimately I did not enjoy it. The family/school scenes felt extremely cringy, characters were very clichéd and the villain was as one-dimensional as it gets.

I feel like the entire reason this movie was made is because the producers liked the premise of ''young kid tries out newfound superpowers for the first time'' and they thought they could make a 2-hour comedy out of it.

While those gags may be entertaining at first, it gets dull after a while.

I was expecting something a little more serious, but alas. This one is definitely meant for the youngest of audiences.

Edited by Scyrous

• 2 weeks later...