Bitcoin mining for the average miner advice

Moodkiller

Im looking at doing a bit of bitcoin mining from home. I'm not planning on making a living off of this, but rather just doing it for the fun and experience of it - also Mega accepts bitcoin payments for their pro plan :nosebleed:  

Currently I have my desktop doing all the mining at this stage with an HD7850 OC'ed to 1000MHz from 860. It is averaging about 280 Mhash/s, which is pathetic to say the least... not that I was expecting a lot from it.

I am looking at buying a Jalapeño 10 GH/s from Butterfly Labs and possibly a Raspberry Pi B+ to keep it all independant and something I can run 24/7. Does anyone have any better ideas/suggestions for something to start out with? Bare in mind, student budget, so prices are a concern. I also had a quick look into USB ASIC's but the availablity of them seems quite low, no resellers in NZ at least, and I will need to buy about 30 of them (@336 Mhash/s) to get close to the Jalapeño's speed...

A part time job would earn you more money and also save your power bill. It's what I did~

Seriously though, Bitcoin mining isn't something you do half-heartedly. You either go big or go home. If you have 50 of those Jalapeno things, then you would be onto something. Just one is laughable.

Lol was thinking the same. But u know bitcoon mining is just cool. I'm glad moodkilla decided to post this cuz I was interested in trying to create asic miner. I've learned verilog so I wanted to learn how to make one. Maybe not for mining but something on a smaller scale.

A part time job would earn you more money and also save your power bill. It's what I did~

Seriously though, Bitcoin mining isn't something you do half-heartedly. You either go big or go home. If you have 50 of those Jalapeno things, then you would be onto something. Just one is laughable.

Lol, hence why I mentioned that I wasnt planning on making a living off of this, but its definitely not something to be dependant on for the good income... dont think it will ever be seen as there was only something like 21 million coins made and the last batch is predicted to be mined in 2150 (if memory serves correctly)

Im to lazy at the moment to go and find the maths that someone did working out how long you have to run it before it can even pay for its self, never mind make you a profit of some kind. If were to buy this set up tomorrow, according to Alloscomp's Bitcoin Mining Calculator, I would get around $3.70 a month (I assume this is solo mining as opposed to being part of a pool), but then already at the next difficulty (estimated to change every 3 days or so) it drops by 58c...

f68bc6a013.png

So that supports all your statements. 

Lol was thinking the same. But u know bitcoon mining is just cool. I'm glad moodkilla decided to post this cuz I was interested in trying to create asic miner. I've learned verilog so I wanted to learn how to make one. Maybe not for mining but something on a smaller scale.

When you say make one, as in the actual hardware or the programme code that ASIC use to mine? Best of luck with that though, sounds very interesting...

On another note, I have successfully earned my first part of a bitcoin... lol

e40ac74a4c.png

Yup you are right there. HD7850 is achieving 290 Mhash/s while my 840m in my laptop only gets 70 Mhash/s (granted its on a laptop, nvidia, and not really recommended to use for mining - but hey it increases my average, so what the hell)

I think you are referring to ASIC's?... while they are not GPU's, they are specialized chips purely made for mining, or more specifically, SHA-256 coin type mining. 

U can achieve higher rates at lower cost in power consumption and heat output. If u can go asic or use fpga. Is a little bit slower due to the architecture but u can achieve good results.

Yup, hence why I was looking at a combination of Pi and Jalapeno, best recipe if you ask me... ha! And I could at least leave that running 24/7. 

I've heard rumors of delayed shipping (up to a year) and gimped ASICs among other horrors from Butterfly Labs. I wouldn't trust them.

I thought the delays were for the pre-orders? I didn't read up fully on it in all honesty, but it was something that caught my eye. Thanks for the reminder.

ASICs are the only way to go with Bitcoin mining, though. 

And I assume you are referring to USB ASIC's (The Jalapeno is a form of ASIC so you are contradicting yourself there - if I read right). If so, then you would need a whole lot of them to get anywhere close to, say, the Jalapeno's 10 GHash/s calculations. 

And I assume you are referring to USB ASIC's (The Jalapeno is a form of ASIC so you are contradicting yourself there - if I read right). If so, then you would need a whole lot of them to get anywhere close to, say, the Jalapeno's 10 GHash/s calculations. 

I was referring to GPU Bitcoin mining not worth it anymore because of ASIC. GPU mining is still strong on Litecoin, though.

I was referring to GPU Bitcoin mining not worth it anymore because of ASIC. GPU mining is still strong on Litecoin, though.

Ah right yes. And after you mentioned it, I had a look into Litecoin, it may be a better way to go until I set up mining rig I had planned. There also looks like there is a coin exchange system so that any Litecoins I earn in the meantime can be traded for Bitcoins (at a price though). Unfortunately I haven't seen many sites accepting Litecoins as a method of payment.

Yea. Me personally I'm just gunna setbup a dodgecoin mining rig. It'll provablly way cheaper.

Yet another coin I havent looked into. If its going to be cheaper, does that mean it might not be worth much??

Looking at buying this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=768504059&cc=61&pid=328523743&hbc=12&member_hash=&ct=title-link