Suggestion - Option to lock/delete your OWN topics

Moodkiller

Have an option to lock/delete your own threads?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Have an option to lock/delete your own threads?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not necessary

Users should have the option to lock/delete threads/topics that they have started.

This I think would help out the admins so that there are not so many requests for it. It would also help out with new users who create a topic by accident and then want it removed and have to report it to be deleted. Having the option to lock it would also stop a lot of unnecessary bumping of threads and pointless posts/increasing of post counts.   

Edited by Moodkiller
  • Like 3

It would also allow users the ability to abuse things. A hot topic of discussion with hundreds/thousands of replies and the user decides to randomly remove it? There goes mah baaaabyyyy!

We've had users before go through and edit all their hundreds of posts to simply say edit/removed... which was a bit o.O

• Like 1

It would also allow users the ability to abuse things. A hot topic of discussion with hundreds/thousands of replies and the user decides to randomly remove it? There goes mah baaaabyyyy!

We've had users before go through and edit all their hundreds of posts to simply say edit/removed... which was a bit o.O

I wouldnt understand why the starter of a hot topic or one that has lots of replies to it would remove it... but it is a possibility. Perhaps then just introduce the "lock" thread ability? And yes I have seen that a few times already :?... 

What about to change topic names of topics they started?

You can already do that by using the full editor option when you edit the topic? You can also change the tags that you used or add more... 

Edit: Koby beat me to it, but it is possible. 

Voted no. You give people some power, they will sure as shit abuse it.

On a side note: please, please stop writing with white text.

Fair enough, you could add the ability that once a topic is locked/deleted, it cannot be undone (perhaps only by an admin accompanied by a valid reason) or that you have a limited number of locks/deletions to use.

Sorry for the white text, I felt that it helped with answering questions when quoting and drew your eye to it. What is wrong with it?

P.s. Thanks for making this my 500th post 

Edited by Moodkiller

trusted with?

if i made a thread and would like it removed,why not be able to delete it without hassling a mod.

and from my experience,mods dont respond O.o"

im curious as to why Koby is against a user being able to delete a thread thats popular

wats the difference between removing an unpopular one over a popular one

and omg i dont ever wanna use the word popular again haha xD

-_-

I don't see why this would need explaining.

Say a user makes a thread. 4 years pass and the thread now has 700 replies. The user who made the topic suddenly got pissed over something random and they go through and delete every topic they made.

Voila, instant community discussion death. Years of replies out the window.

There is a reason why it takes a lot of work and trust before being given a staff position or any such capable powers.

Alright, if we put the option to delete the thread completely aside, what about a giving the thread starter the option to just lock his/her thread/s? (and again with rules such as cant unlock without an admin or limited amout of locks etc etc)

Also I think on this community the number of people with legitimate reasons who will actually make use of this feature will far outweigh the immature ones, who, quote 'will abuse the power given to them'. There are immature people on the rest of the internet... but not here (Kametsu).   

True, but it also just takes a single person to mess things up.

And if you want to cut down on abuse, every time a thread was locked or deleted, a report was sent saying that X user locked Y thread. This way, even if they were immature then it could just be unlocked or moved back from the Farplane. Of course, this would only work if you could revoke their power to lock/delete as well.

Yes, thats also a good point. And a good idea that you suggested. As an alternative you could also take away users's ability (to lock/delete) if they abuse it to keep collateral damage to a minimum.  Topics with a few comments on it wont cause concern, but say if its rated a "hot" topic, has had many views, or there are tons of comments on it, then this would have to go through an admin for reviewing before the user can delete it (locking it may be a different story). . . 

Well now i think i should be able to but why would i? i mean i made it for a reason. suppose some jerkwad pissed me off and started a cult uprising. That's not gunna hurt me in the least bit since they are pissed as "professa" not at me.

PS Haven't spoken you in a minute MoodKillaa! How u bin?

Edited by professa

Well now i think i should be able to but why would i? i mean i made it for a reason. suppose some jerkwad pissed me off and started a cult uprising. That's not gunna hurt me in the least bit since they are pissed as "professa" not at me.

PS Haven't spoken you in a minute MoodKillaa! How u bin?

So you would want the locking/deleting option for a thread that you started?? (I apologize, but I don't quite understand what you typed :) )

and I have been good thanks for asking, hope you have too?