The Walking Dead (TV Series)

cannabis 30

you'll understand that infection with the walker disease doesn't "primarily" originate from the most obvious scenario, i.e. physical injuries via wounds but hints more towards a infection as you've described, though I think airborne infection is still a possibility.

Pretty much every zombie flick has been this way. Any bodily fluids getting into your system from a zombie can turn you. It's just it rarely happens outside of getting bit because zombies main focus is eating.

I thought they commented that the police offers were likely infected from the scratch marks they had or something?

Anyhow that was completely stupid of Shane to cut himself on purpose with a knife that had zombie blood on it.

That is another thing I've wondered since the deer Daryl killed in season 1. He goes around killing zombies all the time with that crossbow, but never runs out of arrows because he's recycling them (which is a good thing). However the idiot is also using those same arrows when he hunts for their food. I mean, it's a disease outbreak and you're not sure how it's actually transferred.. wouldn't you be a bit more worried about not mixing zombie blood with the meat you eat?

After all they did comment about the well water, but that was about it. I guess the creators fail to understand how a well works too. Seeing as my dads house is ran from a well I know... a well is simply a pipe drilled down into the ground till it hits big pocket of water. What this means is likely every well on Hershal's property is connected to the same pocket of water, which the well the walker was in could seep back into and therefore they're drinking contaminated water regardless of the well they use.

But has anyone ever seen Cabin Fever for example? One dead body in a lake contaminated the entire lake. I mean really in a world full of zombies, how would you really be able to get water and know for a fact it wasn't contaminated unless it was all from bottles before the outbreak started (which would be hard to come by in large supplies anyhow)... That and food after a while. Farm animals getting killed, zombies bleeding on your fresh fruits and vegetables in the garden, etc.. The store bought food would only last so long. Pretty much, you're screwed one way or another if it goes on for a long ass time without a cure. Unless you find some form of safe haven with a huge concrete border fence and it's own pond for water and plant/grow your own food inside where they can't get to.

The director mentioned something to Rick before he made his way up and out of the building. People believe the director actually figured out how infection occurred and people believe that he told Rick how it happens.

To be honest this is when I realized that Lori was pregnant. I figured that was how Rick figured out that she had also slept with Shane.

If we take your theory on how Shane turned, then how would we explain Randall's turning? (Was that actually Randal that the second pair fought off? I thought it was a random walker in the woods...)

We really don't know anything about his past. He may have already been infected before hand, if we're going with the transfer by bodily fluids idea. I'm still leaning towards some kind of airborne based infection. It's the only way I've been able to explain the bodies in the cars so far.

I thought they commented that the police offers were likely infected from the scratch marks they had or something?

They did mention that, but I just couldn't see how that could be the case. If a tiny scratch is all it would take, surely T-Dog would have gotten infected on the highway when Daryl put the dead walker on him after he cut himself.

@Kasoivc, have you read all the comics so far? I want to read them, but I'm afraid it will take fun away from watching the show if I have an idea of what will happen next.

I own a collector's book of the first two seasons actually (A family member accidentally opened it from it's plastic wrap... So I went ahead and started reading it rather than letting it sit and go to waste), can't quite remember if it covers the third "major" arc post-Hershel's Farm but I have read enough to understand that the TV Series Definitely Is Not following the comic books at all now in terms of what happens, however I do applaud the show's directors for giving it a good write up since there are so many other ways they could have done season 2 after the ending of season 1 had they chosen so.

To me, reading the comic book series doesn't take away from the actual TV Series. It just makes me anticipate things that won't happen. Like Shane's death. I was on the edge of my seat, every episode since they arrived on Hershel's farm since reading the book.

I KNEW he would die eventually, but I had no idea that the directors would make it that late in the arc - it actually took me by surprise. (In the comic book series, it is actually much earlier, though the way the TV series works, I guess its a comparable and plausible alternative considering how they changed a few things around; though I was really looking forward to the Dale's comic book counterpart's fate... I wanted to see some cannibal action)

Could someone tell me were I could watch TWD season 1 episodes? I want to start from the beginning of this great series.

Thanks

I know Netflix has the entire first season, and not too soon from now Season 2 outta be up as well - plus not to mention DVD/Blu-Ray releases in store. I saw Season 1 for $20 at Best Buy/Futureshop once for regular Dvds.

@L4ugh: Yup, it really is neat how they'd changed the story around. Some of the subplots are still coherent, but in most cases things have been re-ordered or taken to a different path. I mean, some characters like Tdog; aren't even in the comic book series (Then again it does make sense why he gets so little screen time LOL) but still, that character never existed in the book; or certain events didn't happen in the comic book series at all that the director included in the tv series.

Though that is something we should expect since it's taking from a book format and creating a tv series, as we all know - books tend to get butchered if their visual counterparts don't hit the nail on the head.

----------------------------------------

I really don't want to believe that Walkers are created from just a gene that everyone in the world carries, that just feels kind of lame. The comic book series leaves the question open to debate but heavily hints at a certain tidbit that it never thoroughly explains, leaving most comic book readers questioning the true method of infection as well as other possibilities.

I saw Season 1 for $20 at Best Buy/Futureshop once for regular Dvds.

Amazon had a sale on the first season back in November-December for only $8. I snagged it then. Although I wish I'd have got the Blu-ray instead. I forget how much the Blu-ray was for, but I couldn't pass up buying the season for $8 brand new.

I really don't want to believe that Walkers are created from just a gene that everyone in the world carries, that just feels kind of lame. The comic book series leaves the question open to debate but heavily hints at a certain tidbit that it never thoroughly explains, leaving most comic book readers questioning the true method of infection as well as other possibilities.

I don't think it's actually part of their DNA itself, but something more like the flu. Highly contagious, but affects people in different ways. In one group, the people on the highway, it killed off without turning; but only after giving them a little time to spread it first. In another smaller group, it mutated and became the walker virus. The last group had a strong enough immune system to fight off the first wave, and then developed a limited immunity to the more deadlier walker version. I think when these people come in contact, or maybe even close proximity with walkers. They contract the zombie virus and turn into walkers when they die.

I still haven't convinced myself of all this yet, and the water theory sounds pretty plausible as well. Problem I have with that theory is that it doesn't explain the people on the highway. How did they die, and why didn't they turn? They didn't seem to have any wounds, so what could of killed them while they were still setting in their cars.

I think if it is airborne, then there may be a group that's not infected with any form of the virus yet.

I also like how they haven't explained how the infection works yet. Half the fun of this show is trying to figure out what's going to happen next, and how all these people are getting infected in the first place.

I see a few possible ways Shane could have gotten infected. But the first thing I will do is clarify a point from the school episode.

Everyone is saying that Shane cut himself with the same knife he used to stab the walker, but if I remember right, he lost that knife during the fight with Rick. Because Randal picked it up and used it to stab a walker to death. He used a different knife on the bus to cut himself, and then AFTER he'd cut himself he used it on a walker.

Now for the fun part.. How Shane got infected...

Theory 1: Airborne Zombie Virus. It is entirely possible that the virus has mutated, or that it was always airborne, and the connection to bites was nothing more than an already infected person dieing from the attack, and getting up again.

Theory 2: The blood from the walker he stabbed on the bus may have ended up infecting the cut on his hand.

Theory 3: Rick's knife that he stabbed Shane with was the one he stabbed at least one walker with, unless he threw that one away and got another exactly like it.

On to Randal... Because he was not bitten either. However, he was also not stabbed.. there are three theories I can apply to him...

Theory 1: Airborne virus, same as above.

Theory 2: Infected fence post to the knee. In a town full of zombies, it's possible that one ran into the fence at some point.

Theory 3: Open wounds inside the barn that had all of the walkers in it. Zombie saliva on the hay, dead skin cells all over the barn.. His wrists were bloody from trying to escape, so he could easily have become infected there.

@Mute point Never read the comics, huh?

Everyone reanimates after they die, there are no uninfected and it's cause is unknown.

Didn't read the rest of the posts did you?

Regardless of how it is in the comics, we've already talked about that not being the case with the TV show, such as all the dead bodies on the highway, etc.. that shows not all people who die get re-animated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...