Final Fantasy VIII (8) Discussion

phxofgrn

I loved final fantasy 8 and agree with alot of what you said, it was quite a breath of fresh air and seemed more modern than ff7, ff7 is still my fave though, but I thought it was a really good game, I actually loved the junction system and preffered it to ff7, the summonings looked alot better, and the graphics were better than ff7, the thing i really didn't like about ff8 was how short a game it really is, I recently played it on my psp and I didn't realise just how quick you could get through the game even with levelling up and doing the side quests.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, it is easily my favourite game in the series. I cried when our Playstation broke and it occurred to me that I would probably never be able to play the game again. My only qualm with the game was that it became too simple once you really understood the junctioning system. Everything else was the essence of perfection. I'm both craving a remake and fearing it. Craving it because I would love to hear the characters speak and even better graphics and sound quality and maybe even a few new sidequests. Fearing it because, like reading a book and then seeing the movie, if these voices don't match up to my image it could damage the appeal of the game to me.

Still, I'd love the chance to play it again. It's only been 7 or so months but nghhhhh! I WANT IT!

Personally, it is easily my favourite game in the series. I cried when our Playstation broke and it occurred to me that I would probably never be able to play the game again. My only qualm with the game was that it became too simple once you really understood the junctioning system. Everything else was the essence of perfection. I'm both craving a remake and fearing it. Craving it because I would love to hear the characters speak and even better graphics and sound quality and maybe even a few new sidequests. Fearing it because, like reading a book and then seeing the movie, if these voices don't match up to my image it could damage the appeal of the game to me.

Still, I'd love the chance to play it again. It's only been 7 or so months but nghhhhh! I WANT IT!

I agree about the remake. =P My Final Fantasy VIII freezes up on the opening video, so I can't start a new game. :( I'm trying to buy it from Amazon now, but it keeps denying my credit card although there is even money in it for it.. so I dunno whats up. :(

• 2 weeks later...
I agree about the remake. =P My Final Fantasy VIII freezes up on the opening video, so I can't start a new game. :( I'm trying to buy it from Amazon now, but it keeps denying my credit card although there is even money in it for it.. so I dunno whats up. :(

if you go a gamestop store and for disk repair they'll give it to you, it might help with whatevers messin up your game.

and whiplash you can play FFVIII on PS2 if you still have the game and a PS1 memory card thats good.

As for me I loved VIII its just one of those games that i can play over and over and never get bored of it, The story line was great and I loved the idea of drawing magic and junctioning it, and the idea of GF's becoming out faster the more compatible they are with the person. I do agree with a remake though I would love to see FFVIII with PS2 or even PS3 graphics

I've had similar problems when I lost my PS1 memory card and none of the shops sold them anymore. I spent a good two months playing it everyday, seeing how far I could get in one sitting before having to switch the PS2 off.

FFVIII is a wonderful game, I would put it just behind my personal favourite, FFVII.

The gunblade idea was unique to me thou.

Not really, do a google search on gunblades and you'll see what I mean.

In FFT the monsters from random battles got stronger as you levelled up, which was what made me die so many bloody times because I was overlevelled but not overpowered, so I got pwned a lot by monsters a billion times stronger than me. >.>

Well if their lvl goes up as yours does what do you do? You don't lvl up :) I used the Card command to stay at low lvl the whole game :) If you card the enemies you get the AP(I think it was) and none of the EXP, a little slow it may seem, but it isn't, and makes the game easier, plus you always have cards to refine :).

And yes, FFVIII is my favorite game, next to Xenogears and FFX, FFVII and FFVI.

Exactly. this game seem like lving doesn't matter at all. if you just get the non-encounter and hidden draws from GF siren, head to the island closest to hell/heaven. Bam you got yourself a pretty god like character. Str is locked at 255 for all my characters and hp is just risen up. and for all tends and purposes in battle, just save time and throw a hero/aura stone and just limit break away. the spells only comes in handy like auto life, haste, triple, etc. i had no use for holy, ultima and etc. just for stocking up and keeping the stats at the highest peak. congrats you've done the easiest thing FF ever gave to you.

• 2 years later...

People just didn't like the Junction system. Made the game too easy.

For instance, a few hours into the game, I can have my health at almost 9,999 and by junctioning Death to my status-attack, I was able to kill most enemies that weren't bosses with a single strike.

People want some kind of challenge in a Final Fantasy game. The junction system, once you fully understand it and embrace it, takes away most, if not, all of the challenge.

People just didn't like the Junction system. Made the game too easy.

For instance, a few hours into the game, I can have my health at almost 9,999 and by junctioning Death to my status-attack, I was able to kill most enemies that weren't bosses with a single strike.

People want some kind of challenge in a Final Fantasy game. The junction system, once you fully understand it and embrace it, takes away most, if not, all of the challenge.

That and later it got to where if you used magic you were weakening your character so at least for me it stopped me from using magic. Though honestly I still enjoyed the game. Squall is my favorite FF character and I much prefer FF8 over FF7.

Hold on, I'm confused. Do you think it's overrated or do you like it? I mean, usually when something is overrated, you wonder why it was popular, but if you like it...?

Anyway, if anything, FFVII is the overrated one. I played it and it was okay...but seriously, I don't think it deserves all that fanboying that it gets. It's ugly (yeah, even back then it was ugly for its time), and half the time I was bored out of my mind.

I like FFVIII a whole lot more. Honestly, I think it's underrated. It doesn't get the praise it deserves. It always ranks so low in popularity compared to FFVII, and I'm always like...why? The characters are better, it looks a whole lot better, and I can go on and on since it's one of my favorite final fantasy games.

Oh yeah, and I loved the Junction System. But also, Koby's right, it meant pretty much never using magic (I didn't).

That and later it got to where if you used magic you were weakening your character so at least for me it stopped me from using magic. Though honestly I still enjoyed the game. Squall is my favorite FF character and I much prefer FF8 over FF7.

You could still use magic. Just not any that you had junctioned to your character.

Personally, I rank IX higher than VII or VIII. IX, I thought, had a much better story, more likable characters, looked much, much better than the other two and presented a much improved and much more enjoyable Chocobo mini-game.

VIII is always going to have a special place in my heart since it was the first Final Fantasy I ever played. And I'm always going to love it. But the Junction system really wasn't one of the best ideas Final Fantasy threw out there. I personally prefer the Sphere Grid and Crystarium Expansion that they introduce in Final Fantasy X and XIII since it gives one much more control over the progression of your character's abilities.

Perhaps I'm just the weird type, but I do know that in the pages of history, VIII is always going to be remembered as just one of those games that closed the time gap between VII and X.

You could still use magic. Just not any that you had junctioned to your character.

Personally, I rank IX higher than VII or VIII. IX, I thought, had a much better story, more likable characters, looked much, much better than the other two and presented a much improved and much more enjoyable Chocobo mini-game.

VIII is always going to have a special place in my heart since it was the first Final Fantasy I ever played. And I'm always going to love it. But the Junction system really wasn't one of the best ideas Final Fantasy threw out there. I personally prefer the Sphere Grid and Crystarium Expansion that they introduce in Final Fantasy X and XIII since it gives one much more control over the progression of your character's abilities.

Perhaps I'm just the weird type, but I do know that in the pages of history, VIII is always going to be remembered as just one of those games that closed the time gap between VII and X.

I like the PSX-era games aalmost equally. The only problem I have with VIII is the exploitations of the juncion system that do remove the challenge as many say. The challenge is what keeps an RPG Gamer playing it, followed by the story. If it is too boring in either category, they won't like it much. The junction system isn't the main problem, though, but I don't know what it is. When people blame it on one thing, it is actually for a very different reason than what they say. An example of this would be the Resident Evil series starting with RE4.

Cause it's a pretty catchy title.

That is nowhere near the reason why it is called Final Fantasy. I believe I read somewhere that the game was called Final Fantasy because the creators made it not expecting it to be that profitable. They thought it would be the only game in the series. It turned out that it was more popular than they ever imagined and they continued the series under the same name, especially since it was the most profitable game series and still is one of the most profitable.

• Koby changed the title to Final Fantasy VIII (8) Discussion