What first got you sucked into anime and mangas?

Vonnie

Watching Cartoon Network in when I was 11 and one day seeing the ad for Zoids: Zero. I was like "have to watch that!" I'm 21 now and that is still my fave anime series to date. From that point I became a fan of anime and am always looking out for new titles to screen. Unfortunately it's slim pickings for good shows over here in Australia. Cartoon Network will only screen S7 of Naruto and rerun DBZ, there's no more Adultswim, and SciFi ran a short Animax block for about 26 weeks. Gone are the days... :(

One time I'd just finished a major web design project one day, felt tired, and wanted to cool off. Started clicking around Youtube, found the first episode of Suzumiya Haruhi, and watched. It was the wittiest thing I'd seen in a while.

At that point I realised not all anime were like the shōnen fighting ones I'd watched (and grew out of) as a teen, and there were a lot of clever ones out there to go and find.

Since then, just cruised from one series to the next when there's no work to do, don't feel like gaming, and have a couple of free hours to sink into a marathon.

hmmm, i watched DBZ a lot when i was a little kid, about 5 or 6 and i loved how the show was full of these awesome fights and techniques, unlike the cartoons that used to come at the time like GI Joe or the superhero ones cuz they didn't have a linear story.

and also pokemon

I hate to say it, but fan service, at least initially. I'll just admit to being a perv right up front to get that out of the way. :sexy_girl:

Basically, I happened to see the Ghost in the Shell movie on the shelf in a video store once, back in ye olde high school days. Fast forward to college, and I happened to catch an episode of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG on Adult Swim. Back then I didn't know the difference, so I thought I was watching the movie I saw implied nudity on the cover of a while back. Of course that ended as soon as the episode I was watching did and it became obvious that this was a series and not a movie. As the series was already mostly over, I had no freakin' clue what was going on, but you know what? It was awesome all the same, and I was instantly hooked. Needless to say, when Adult Swim started the series over in syndication, I watched every episode.

Adult Swim being what it was at the time, Cowboy Bebop also happened to be on at around the same time as GitS:SAC, so I started into that. I also happened to know the right friends at the right time, and they suggested some others I might like, and the rest is pretty much history.

What first got me into anime was actually my brother started watching Pokemon back somewhere around 1995 and since I always wanted to be doing everything he was doing at the time (I was 5 by the way he was 8), I started to get up every weekday morning at 6am and watch it before school. I have enjoyed it ever since.

Manga I actually only got into back in 2007 when I got tired of waiting for fillers of bleach and naruto to end and go back to the main storyline so I decide to read the manga and have got more into it then I ever thought I would with so many different kinds of manga and their stories.

I first got into anime, when I came across it on TV by accident, My first anime was sailor moon technically but at the time I was so young i didn't even realize it was anime, I just liked how clumsy and strong the heroin is (especially because i am a total and complete klutz myself... i'm prone to accidents). The anime that really got me to watching other animes though was inuyasha and I watched that when I was highschool, at first when I saw it on TV, I thought it was extremely stupid and didn't know why anyone would watch it ( i think it was because it was dubbed I hated it so much) eventually it grew on me because of how comical it was)

• 2 weeks later...

I remember watching DBZ as a little kid, and the action and story really got me sucked in. After some years I guess I stopped watching toonami and everything. Then like maybe when I started high school as a freshman, I got into titles like Naruto and Bleach. And then I saw Deathnote...and then after that I wanted to watch more awesome anime...so then I landed myself on To-love ru which was ecchi but still I wanted to watch more genres...and yeah. I can go on forever. I guess until like 2 years ago....I started getting more and more otaku. Today I'm probably watching more series every month than I was 5 years ago. Damn it's like a addiction or disease or something...lol.