What first got you sucked into anime and mangas?

Vonnie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My sister introduced me to anime, even though she doesn't watch anime. She just came back from school and was like "their's  this really cool [cartoon]  that my friend told me about, would you like to watch it"  and i was like sure. And there you have it, that is how I started watching Naruto [yes that naruto, she called it a cartoon] and from then i couldn't stop watching anime. 

DragonBall Z was the main one for me lol. I made an OC when I was like... 6 xD 

But when I got older I wanted to write my own stories so I took my OC's basic look and transformed his story into something else. My friend was also a major reason I got dragged into this because out of all my artist friends, he was the best and he drew things in an anime style. I followed that style and I became super obsessed when I was in Highschool lol... I still am obsessed xD 

Well, when i was kid I really liked watching DBZ, Pokemon, Bay-blade, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh & many more but it was on TV only & in native language. And then After my college completed I saw one friend Watching Naruto & Again I got Excited & went into the Anime & Manga World Again, Before that I even didnt know that usually anime's are created from Manga stories. And My favorites  are 1. One Piece 2. Fairy Tail 3. Naruto 4. DBZ 5. Bleach and many more.

I watched DBZ on TV when I was really young. I then started watching Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and other anime on Adult Swim. Although I watched anime on TV, I just thought of it as cartoons that didn't have that cheesy "very special episode" or "now you know ending."

AMVs were my real gateway into anime. I started looking for the anime in the videos. It was then that I started to see that look on people's faces when I started to talk about anime. I think I'm going to walk into an anime intervention soon. AMVs also introduced me to all kinds of songs and music genres too.B|

*AMV = Anime Music Video

Oh, I was hooked at a young age. It was back in the early to mid-80's with things like Robotech (US title) and Voltron (Lions and Vehicles). I was an adult by the time DBZ hit the states and got it's hooks in me. Yes, I'm old...just turned 44 ^_^ Which reminds me...Voltron Legendary Defender S02 starts tomorrow on netflix :D

Edited by allan1973

I started with Saber Rider back in the day not knowing that it actually was anime. It was when Sailor Moon aired when I really got into it. The next thing which actually showed what anime could be was when a private TV station aired Neon Genisis Evangelion in the middle of the night around the end of the 90s. 

They aired it in a really weird way, though. Like every monday 5-6 episodes merged together into a movie for 6 weeks. They did this with a lot of classic anime (Lodoss War, Macross and more) for a few years. They were in japanese with subs, too. I really loved that time, monday nights was special because of it.

hnnng. Nostalgia hits me now. Dx

Grew up with it.

Dubbed Japanese kid's cartoons aired on Nickelodeon when I was in grade school, along with vaguely censored adult stuff on SciFi channel before the network became crap. Some came on TV channels subbed, like on IFC before it also became crap.  When I was in 4th grade or so, nobody really knew what the heck anime was. When I hit jr high, most people were into it.  Japanese games and comics were all over the place. You could actually buy it on VHS. Later on DVD. To watch it become a huge thing so widely available was pretty amazing. In high school it was already mainstream and I didn't have to feel like an eccentric weirdo since every other person I talked to enjoyed it. I started going to anime conventions with friends. Buying up tons of merch for stuff like Digimon and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Anime consumption became kind of an addition until I passed through my wild teens.

Anime holds a load of nostalgic sentimental value for me even though I watch a lot less than I used to. I barely read manga anymore, but I used to be heavy into it for the art.