Ghost in the Shell Gets New Anime From Kenji Kamiyama, Shinji Aramaki

Koby

nNQyyPS.jpgKodansha and Production I.G announced on Friday that a new anime based on Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell manga has been green-lit. Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex) and Shinji Aramaki (Appleseed) are co-directing the anime. The format and release date have not yet been announced.

Kamiyama had teased in September that he wanted "to report" on new information about Ghost in the Shell "in the near future" in response to a fan inquiring about a possible third season of the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex anime series.

Production I.G previously produced Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence films in 1995 and 2004, respectively, as well as the 2002 Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex television anime and its TV sequel, original video anime (OVAs), and film. In 2013, Production I.G adapted the material into the Ghost in the Shell Arise prequel OVA, which it later remixed into a television series. Most recently, the studio debuted Ghost In The Shell: The New Movie in 2015 and the Ghost in the Shell VR Diver smartphone video in 2017.

Dark Horse Comics and later Kodansha Comics published Shirow's original 1991 manga and its sequels in North America.

Dreamworks and Paramount's live-action film adaptation starring Scarlett Johansson opened in the United States on March 31. The film will open in Japan on Friday.

• Like 6

Yeah I had extremely low expectaions for the movie, but im still sad it turned out so....not good. I actually would prefer the original GITS english VAs though. Always thought they were some of the best id heard. Suuuuuper stoked for this though. Funny because i had just decided to watch SAC again before i even knew this was a thing. Timing was poifek!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the best news I have heard in regards to what happened with the live action movie. It was too alien in my opinion from what Ghost in the Shell is. the movie was all action and no substance. I mean it had some decent visuals and sure some of the special effects were interesting to see but that is never enough, I mean where was the story, it was like the director Rupert Sanders said hey lets take bits and pieces of each aspect of the anime, its original movies, the manga, the video games and lets hope it works.  There was no philosophy or commentary on the state of technology and humanity. The near future technology aspect was gone and it went to dark, I mean sure the anime had violence and had overarching  elements in tis world of corporate control and docile consumers, but I mean the characters had at least some hobbies, or friends, and I mean there was some humor, and light hearted moments showcasing the positive effects of the technological developments( remember the tachkomias or the chat room via the cyberbrains). The live action was lets make it too dark, too foreboding, lets kidnap people and make cyborg warriors and throw a lot of tropes like that. 

The original anime and movies are where its at They have the proper pacing, character development, world building, and storytelling methods.

The live action  movie was mostly  noise, watered down, and to dependent on visuals. They gave no care to even make mad Ghost in the SHELL UNIQUE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

• 2 months later...
  • Nekone locked this topic