How's your hard drive doing?

joske

1TB fusion drive with 930 open, 2TB WD Raid with 200GB open and shrinking as I shrink down both video and sample libraries.

It's kind of strange, I seem to spend a lot of time lately stripping down to dubs with signs and reformatted to use with standard players (never been a fan of mkv as a format and it's never made any sense to use a non standard format that needs a special player - at least for myself)

Edited by spheris

• 2 months later...

I havea few HDDs that are almost full (A few GB free for each one):

Internal ones:

1 WD Black 500GB partitioned in 2 part, one for the OS and the other for some torrenting media.

1 Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB wich I use mainly for encodes.

2 Seagate 4TB 3.5" mainly for storage/viewing movies/anime/etc etc.

External ones:

1 WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0 for transfering large data.

2 WD My Book 3 TB USB 3.0

I'm seriously thinking about getting/building a NAS near the future, but atm I don't have any cash :(

• 2 months later...

Let's see:

Samsung 250GB SSD (Has OS, programs and part of the user profiles on it.) 81.3GB Free

Western Digital 2TB HDD (Has Profile data, Music, Videos, Photos, Docs, etc)  536GB Free

Seagate 4TB HDD (Has Anime on it) 100GB Free

Western Digital 3TB HDD (Has Anime on it) 29.8GB Free

Western Digital 2TB HDD (Has Anime on it) 39.9GB Free

Western Digital 2TB HDD (Has Anime on it) 1.51TB Free

External 2TB HD for backup and boot drive image storage

8.71TB of anime is stored on Computer

Right now I'm attempting to replace the 2TB HD's with 4TB HD's, Space not so limited anymore since one of the 2TB HD's was replaced with a 4TB HD.

• 1 month later...

Let's see:

Samsung 250GB SSD (Has OS, programs and part of the user profiles on it.) 81.3GB Free

Western Digital 2TB HDD (Has Profile data, Music, Videos, Photos, Docs, etc)  536GB Free

Seagate 4TB HDD (Has Anime on it) 100GB Free

Western Digital 3TB HDD (Has Anime on it) 29.8GB Free

Western Digital 2TB HDD (Has Anime on it) 39.9GB Free

Western Digital 2TB HDD (Has Anime on it) 1.51TB Free

External 2TB HD for backup and boot drive image storage

8.71TB of anime is stored on Computer

Right now I'm attempting to replace the 2TB HD's with 4TB HD's, Space not so limited anymore since one of the 2TB HD's was replaced with a 4TB HD.

what made you decide on the Seagate 4gb over WD or HGST?

It never ceases to amaze me how many people run JBOD with no backup and/or redundancy.

If you use WD instead of Seagate you wouldn't have to worry so much. =)

The only drives I've ever had completely fail (unbootable) were Seagate and I've been using PCs since 1998.

Anyhow I would like to start using raids, but the issue is the cashflow man. I'd like to get two or three of those boxes that hold 4-5 hard drives and run them in raids, but I need money I don't have.

8EnPv7C.png

In this picture: G, H, I, J, and M are externals.

C is an SSD; while E and F are internal WD Blues iirc.

The only non-WD drive there is the SSD which if iirc is an ADATA.

• Like 1

Uh, I wouldn't buy multiple NAS's... One chassis with as many hard drive bays as possible is good enough. Then just start building up your hard drives and adding them to your array.It's how I do it, except I've a) stopped caring about archiving every release of every show and B) trying to save money to buy a new workstation.

The whole WD vs Seagate thing is overhyped. I used to care about that sort of shit, but what it really comes down to is your experience with each brand. I've had one Seagate external hard drive that I bought 3 years ago and it's still going, but I've also had many more WD internal/external hard drives with only one failure. Take from that what you will, then read this: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

Edited by JohnFlower

The whole WD vs Seagate thing is overhyped. Take from that what you will, then read this: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

avOpHtJ.jpg

But this chart isn't exactly unbiased; considering they apparently tested only 45 WD drives compared to almost 18k Seagate drives. Any test that doesn't do so with a large identical number of the brands isn't going to be something that can be fully trusted to be an accurate representation.

However to say 40% of 18k drives failed is still a pretty big statement.

• Like 1