Godzilla Anime Film to Stream on Netflix Globally This Year

Koby

i3naSjE.jpgPolygon Pictures' Godzilla anime film will stream globally on the Netflix service this year. The Japanese arm of the world's largest online streaming service will collaborating with TOHO, Japan's largest film distributor, on the coordinated theatrical and global streaming release.

7MNiwhF.jpg   LiA27D2.jpg

The film will star:

• Yuuki Kaji 
  • Takahiro Sakurai 
  • Mamoru Miyano 
  • Junichi Suwabe 
  • Kana Hanazawa 
  • Tomokazu Sugita 

The film will have a stage event at AnimeJapan 2017 on Sunday, March 26. The six main voice actors will appear at the event.

Kobun Shizuno (Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare and other Detective Conan movies, Fist of the North Star: The Legend of Kenshirô, Fist of the North Star: The Legend of Toki) and Hiroyuki Seshita (Ajin, Knights of Sidonia) are directing the film at Polygon Pictures. Gen Urobuchi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Psycho-Pass) of Nitroplus is credited with the story concept and screenplay.

The film is the first anime film in the Godzilla franchise.

TOHO's newest Godzilla film, Shin Godzilla (known as Godzilla: Resurgence in Southeast Asia and other distribution territories), opened in Japan on July 29. Funimation screened the film in North America in October. The film has earned 8.11 billion yen (about US$69.30 million), and was the second highest-grossing domestic film in Japan in 2016.

• Like 6

Nice. I was kind of hoping it would do well enough in Japan for Funimation to pick it up and do a limited theatrical run like they did for Shin Godzilla and Kimi no Na wa. Especially seeing as Gen Urobuchi is involved. Then again, at least it'll be available in 1080p right away rather than delayed for the Japanese BD to come out first like with... Shin Godzilla and Kimi no Na wa. Might be a blessing in disguise.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PDoggy77 said:

Nice. I was kind of hoping it would do well enough in Japan for Funimation to pick it up and do a limited theatrical run like they did for Shin Godzilla and Kimi no Na wa. Especially seeing as Gen Urobuchi is involved. Then again, at least it'll be available in 1080p right away rather than delayed for the Japanese BD to come out first like with... Shin Godzilla and Kimi no Na wa. Might be a blessing in disguise.

"coordinated theatrical and global streaming release"

This suggests it'll still have a theatrical run too...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Koby said:

"coordinated theatrical and global streaming release"

This suggests it'll still have a theatrical run too...

Oh. Shit. Would you look at that. Guess I just missed the "theatrical" part of the sentence. 

Still, I doubt it'll be anywhere as large as a Funi theatrical run. Netflix has never done a theatrical run that large to my knowledge-- perhaps for The Little Prince? I don't remember exactly what happened with that though, just that Netflix picked it up abnormally close to the planned theatrical run.

When I read the headline, it got me excited. As a Godzilla fan, I'm glad to see him, and the kaiju genre in general, making a resurgence in recent years. Though I'm just as curious like everyone anticipating this as to what the Big G's design will be, not to mention the plot will be about, if there will be monster fights, etc. Regardless, I'm cautiously optimistic.