Anybody else excited for the new Amd/Intel processors?

zeondx

I'm hoping it finally adds a processor that's equivalent to Intel's high end cpus like the i7 6700. My Amd 8370 is still holding pretty well for most games these days. The new line of i7 7 series cpus are coming out pretty soon, so I don't know how Amd Zen will even compare. It seems like Amd is always a step behind Intel/Nvidia, but not bad for price for value in computer builds. Im not a fan of Amd gpus, been sticking to Nvida gpus. I think it's why Amd is always behind, its that their R&D is stretched between doing Cpus and Gpus. Vs Intel focusing on cpus and Nvidia focusing on gpus. Amd processors have notably weaker cores, so maybe that will change with Zen. Not sure how the new Intel processors will change much, unless you go for 3000-4000 dollar computer build. Pricing with Intel has always been high, they have to make up their R&D costs in the end.

• Like 1

@zeondx Unfortunately, probably yes. As far as I understand it this is what we need for 4k on pc's:
- Motherboard with HDMI 2.0a (which even the newest graphics cards don't have I think), and support for HDCP 2.2
- Intel processor with 630 Graphics (so at least an i5 CPU)
- And of course a display with HDMI 2.0a

So unless you have a motherboard that already has 2.0a you definitely need a new one. It would be so much easier and cheaper if the graphics cards from AMD/NVidia support this. Than you just have to buy a new graphics card. Now you have to buy an entire new computer basically.

On ‎27‎-‎1‎-‎2017 at 10:48 AM, SpiderMiles said:

I'm very exited for the new intel processors. Especially because their (supposed to) make watching 4k material from Netflix and eventually 4k blu-ray possible on pc. It is crazy though when you think about it. You need an entirely new processor just to handle the new encryption (aacs 2.0) ¬¬.

Maybe you're right for the UHD-Discs what will be Playable into April 2017 with the New CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 17. :( 

But I'm using NVIDIA GTX 780 (Maximum Digital Resolution: 4096x2160) & Intel I7 4770K, and I can Play NetFlix just fine into 4K. ;) 

But I can tell you this my NVIDIA Card doesn't have HDMI 2.2 (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780/specifications).

Edited by DJHulp

@DJHulp Hmm interesting. As far as I know you can watch 4k Netflix on pc. But it I read an article on theverge that it at least required the skylake processors because of the 10 bit hevc codec support and the HDCP 2.2 support, which the 4770K doesn't have I believe. Do you know if this has changed since the announcement (was in november or december I believe)? Or am I just getting some stuff messed up? 9_9
At the very least thanks to the new processors and motherboards we can enjoy Netflix 4K content with HDR ;) (which is way more important than the extra resolution IMO).

3 hours ago, SpiderMiles said:

@DJHulp Hmm interesting. As far as I know you can watch 4k Netflix on pc. But it I read an article on theverge that it at least required the skylake processors because of the 10 bit hevc codec support and the HDCP 2.2 support, which the 4770K doesn't have I believe. Do you know if this has changed since the announcement (was in november or december I believe)? Or am I just getting some stuff messed up? 9_9
At the very least thanks to the new processors and motherboards we can enjoy Netflix 4K content with HDR ;) (which is way more important than the extra resolution IMO).

I can tell you this, I don't know the anwser of above question but what i do know is this:

1. HDR is only possible with 23, 24 & 50 HZ/FPS, do you change it to 59, 60 HZ/FPS then the HDR will be Disabled (This is the case with my NVIDIA CARD GTX 780 :().

I don't know if the 1070 GTX, 1080 GTX Card or the Titax X is the same, but I hope the 60HZ/FPS works also! ;) 

1070 GTX: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1070/

1080 GTX: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080/

Titan X: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/titan-x-pascal/

2. Apperently 4K NetFlix works with my Intel 4770K & NVIDIA Card GTX 780, the thing about 10Bit Hevc I don't know if NetFlix use this or not.

3. Yes, you need a new Processor, VideoCard & Motherbord for getting the UHD Discs (4K Blu-Ray Discs 110GB) to work with you're PC, but you can play them into April 2017 with CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 17. 

https://www.cyberlink.com/eng/press_room/view_4125.html?AID=10471867&PID=7649589&SID=72705X1521812Xe1864ffa89cfe26d513e52602425f159&utm_source=Skimlinks&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=affiliate&affid=2581_-1_37_CJaffiliate

But: Maybe later with RedFox AnyDVD HD, you don't need it anymore if they can Disable the HDCP 2.2.

This means you can play the movie even with HDCP 1.0, and then you also don't have to buy above settings. ;) 

Offcourse this means you don't have the full potential of 4K, but Upscaled 4K. :( 

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anydvd-redfox-and-uhd-aacs-2-0-there-is-hope.68358/

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/ultra-hd-blu-ray-is-slysoft-support-coming.67139/

Edited by DJHulp

@DJHulpYeah I'm following the Redfox forum for some time now, hoping on some news for ultra-hd support. We probably won't know anything for sure until those people get their hands on the Pioneer Player. I know one thing. I won't upgrade my pc for uhd blu-ray until Redfox (or another company?) has a solution to play my own bought uhd-blu-rays without all of these ridiculous restrictions -_-.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpiderMiles said:

@DJHulpYeah I'm following the Redfox forum for some time now, hoping on some news for ultra-hd support. We probably won't know anything for sure until those people get their hands on the Pioneer Player. I know one thing. I won't upgrade my pc for uhd blu-ray until Redfox (or another company?) has a solution to play my own bought uhd-blu-rays without all of these ridiculous restrictions -_-.

Same here, but I will only upgrade if my PC is getting to Old and there is more stuff for 4K there are only 30 titles so far.

I feel like I am in the stone age with a 1080p monitor, but it's one of those with the 144hz. Overall the Asus vg248qe has been a nice monitor for gaming. I just can't justify that the price for new 4k monitors for pc's are entry level $300-$400 vs a big tv is around $400-500 depending on sales. Asus also released that high end 144hz 4k monitor, but going off previous pricing. Its going to be $1000+. Anywho I just really haven't experienced much with 4k, though I hear the rage about movies and games being so much better. I hate having to upgrade for silly reasons, but to enjoy that uhd content; I might have to keep it mind when buying new computer stuff.  At least with a full tower, 850 PSU, 1080 gtx, and Noctua Dh14; I will be ready for 4k movies. 

Is there anything beneficial with the new 10 series cards from Nvidia? Hdcp 2.2? I'm not sure if the gpu will become useful for doing much with 4k on it's own, other than gaming at ~ 60 fps. The cpus are up there in cost with the gpus. $500-600 for top of the line computer parts(cpus or gpus), not too mention all whole new chipsets that come out for the processors. At least with the gpu, you wouldn't have to change out the mobo as well. Good mobos tack on another $100-$200 to an upgrade. Ddr4 isn't cheap either, though I'm not sure what the whole hurrah is with that either.

Side note: Does consoles even have the capability to play native 4k blurays or 3d blurays? I remember hearing the hurrah about PS4 pro not being native 4k, but some kind of upscale. 

Edited by zeondx

Ah ok, HDCP is sort like a drm imposed by Intel. Well, that sort of sucks for watching movies from blurays. How exactly does making things harder to watch legally stop/keep people from pirating from movies? It also makes copying and backuping up your blurays a pain in the rear. Though HDCP 2.2 strippers exist, from what I read on wiki. A company called LegendSky made something called HDFury, which completely removes HDCP 2.2 from movies/blurays. So who knows what kind of wonky setup to watch your own legal content might happen. New processors/mobos/gpus being setuped just to fall in line with new drm mechanisms. Um, wouldn't a bluray player at this point just be cheaper? Unless you backup your own sources and transcode/mux them into a giant cloud drive for watching at home. Alot of people end up doing that, too many disc to go through. Also simplifies watching things from folders vs large stacks of blurays.

Edited by zeondx

@zeondx Yeah your right at this point its much more convenient to just buy a uHD player. The Xbox One can play uHD BR movies. PS4 Pro does not support uHD BR but it can play games in uHD. If it's native 4k or upscaled depends on the developer. The devs of Rise of the Tomb Raider did this really wel I think. You can choose between 3 different options to use the extra graphics power of the PS4 Pro:

1. Play the game at 4k resolution 30fps

2. Play the game at 1080p at 60fps

3. Play the game at 1080p at 30fps with more impressive graphics

I do not own a PS4 myself, so I don't know if 4k is actually 4k or if the 60fps is solid. But I do like the idea of the developer giving you options to choose what you prefer the most (I personally would choose 60 fps anytime :))