Welcome to Kametsu

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

63 posts in this topic

Hello my name is Gilbert,  I am currently trying to get a project off the ground.  I have 2 decent PCs I can use for rendering  and I already have done some working  creating my own custom version of warriors of the wind, bubblegum crisis, and a few other releases.     My project involves both Dragon Box sets of DBZ,   Jap DBZ dragon box set for video and USA dragon box for English audio.   I would very much like to upscale the dragon box to 1080p  clean up the video and color correct it.   I was inspired by a guy who has already completed a project similar and then refused to release it...  So I did some digging and research and this is what I found online.     Here is what he was able to find

"

AnimeBytes

Avisynth - Lanczos4Resize?

Filtered Dbox to showcase the effectiveness of free tools

DVD (R2)
Left = Region 2 Dragon Box
Right = Colour Corrected, Stabilised, Denoised, Sharpened.

More specifically, it has been Denoised, Sharpened, Stabilised and Colour Corrected
3. YUV has been remapped from 16-235 to 0-255, 16-235 is a false colour scale and was only used to accomodate old TVs. This means that blacks will actually be black and white will actually be white now.

4. Colour intensity has been increased by 11.65% to stop colours from looking washed out.

5. Every episode has been Inverse Telecined to change the soft telecined interlaced framerate of 29.970 (the standard for NTSC TV) to the true 23.976 progressive framerate. There is no visual difference between these two other than the native switch from interlaced to progressive, most players will auto de-interlace anyway.

6. The pixel aspect ratio has been switched from 10:11 to 1:1, this results in a change of aspect ratio from 720 x 480 to 648/652 x 480.

7. The black border buffer has been cut off as much as possible without losing any picture detail, there will still be some borders because the cropping that needs to be done is different for the first and second half of each episode however the final encode can only be one resolution. To minimise this problem I have averaged the cropped resolution of each episode and used that as the basis for calculating the final resolution.

9. I have added a Contour filter that makes all lines appear more defined or bold, however the real purpose of this filter was to remove blur, the next filter I added counter-acts the bold effect.

10. I added a Sharpen filter that makes lines thinner and gives the image a sharper cleaner look, this can make super thin lines disappear entirely but with the effect of Contour, this should not happen at all. I have yet to see a line disappear compared with the Dragon Box rip and I have very picky eyes.

11. Perhaps to your dismay, I have applied Noise Reduction. This was a hard choice, I did two encodes of the first episode, one with NR and one without and I came to the conclusion that the NR one was better. The benefit of NR is that the small 'dots' or 'grain' that appears everywhere on the screen with the dvd rip is blended together to smoothen out the picture. In this picture the left segment is what the grain looks like and the right segment is what it looks like with NR applied. The downside to NR is that very small tiny detail is potentially lost when it is surrounded by a different colour. I have seen the effect of this but it is very minor and is something I'm willing to accept as the price of the smoother looking image.

12. The video has been encoded with a 2 pass variable bit rate between 570 - 620 Kb/s depending on the length of the episode. This makes every episode fit almost exactly 100 Mb which would mean the whole series would take up 29.1 Gb.

he episodes I'm doing will be upscaled to 1080p (for best quality on HD TVs), stabilised (wayyy less jitter, less than the blurays), colour corrected (the dragon box's are known for bad colours), denoised (temporal, not spatial like my old settings) and sharpened (with overshoot/undershoot limiting to prevent haloing/ringing). Each episode will also have the US replacement music as well as the 5.1 English Dialogue + Original Japanese music. They will also have the japanese track from the ORIGINAL BROADCAST (which, if you dont know, is EXTREMELY rare and is the best quality in existence). Not even Toei Animation has the audio in this quality. Each episode will also include the previous episode preview as well as the next episode preview which has now been correctly placed immediately after the episode end and not after the credits. The opening and closing animation for each episode has been cut.

The orange bricks were hd remasters which were then downscaled to 480p to adhere to dvd standards. Automatic or not, the film scan was tampered with and is where these "remastered" sets were born from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuB7q558sM

Ashura, I did ask him once, because he did something like this. Here's the response:

Hi,

I'm not sure if your familiar with Avisynth but if you are I used:

#Restores 23.976 fps
AssumeTFF()
TFM()
VinVerse
Tdecimate(mode = 1)

#Sharpening
LimitedSharpenFaster(exborder=4, strength=150)
AAA()

#Denoise
MCTemporalDenoise(settings="high")

#Colour Correction
Tweak(sat=1.17)

Then I opened that .avs with TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works and added the filters:

Contour: 100, Wide
Sharpening: 15 (This is the difference between the pic and video, the video has this filter and the pic doesnt)

And that was encoded with x264 with settings:

cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:1:1 / analyse=0x1:0x131 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.40:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / slices=1 / nr=100 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=cbr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=800 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=800 / vbv_bufsize=786 / nal_hrd=cbr / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:0.60

And it took my computer 6 hours to encode :) I think the result is magnificent. The biggest problem is the denoise as it is difficult to remove noise without destroying detail. MCTemporalDenoise does a good job of denoising while keeping most detail, I think the trade-off with these settings is worth it but each to their own I guess.

"

Anyone who can help me make heads or tails of all this  and of course help me  correct the settings    because these settings the guy at least admitted were older than his last settings...

Im ignoring his file size  quotes  cause I know they are going to be decent size per eps,  I would also like to encode in 10bit.     I do feel the steps he takes in the order  does improve the quality of the upscale and over all image.   and IMO this would be a much better release than  the "Remasters"  where they cut and crop :(

Edited by LordFenix

*scratches head* Why do you want to upscale Dragon Box?  Plus, if you can't make heads or tails out of a avisynth script, I don't think you should be doing this.

Because the cropped versions are crap...  and not a fan of kai...

Better way to put it...  its been done... by the publishers... but they didnt do it right.   so we know its possible.   and other people have already either did this and left it because of what ever reason but showed great results.   or  just wanted to fix the color or correct music, sounds, or other minor stuff.       This project isnt going to be simple.  But if someone with AVIsynth experience could just help me get it set up properly I have 2 machines that can handle all the renderings...   I have the patience to get the audio to sync up...    My past projects have given me the experience there.    I also have a background in adobe.   But adobe alone cant do what i want and it seems avisynth seems to be the best way of going about it.   

The question of why...   but  why not?   Why sub something?   why  mux DVD audio with jap exclusive bluray,   Why do anything...   but really  WHY not should be the real question.   Why not do this?   people are already excited about a similar project that is pretty much going to be enhancing the dragon box but cutting it down to match Kai pacing and replacing the music.   that project is a big one  and I hope he succeeds  and i am even providing him with the dragon boxes for his project.   If you have a passion for something just do it.  I was just hoping with a forum like this there would be senior members  that could help me on the right track.

Edited by LordFenix
better explination
1 person likes this

9 hours ago, LordFenix said:

Because the cropped versions are crap...  and not a fan of kai...

Better way to put it...  its been done... by the publishers... but they didnt do it right.   so we know its possible.   and other people have already either did this and left it because of what ever reason but showed great results.   or  just wanted to fix the color or correct music, sounds, or other minor stuff.       This project isnt going to be simple.  But if someone with AVIsynth experience could just help me get it set up properly I have 2 machines that can handle all the renderings...   I have the patience to get the audio to sync up...    My past projects have given me the experience there.    I also have a background in adobe.   But adobe alone cant do what i want and it seems avisynth seems to be the best way of going about it.   

The question of why...   but  why not?   Why sub something?   why  mux DVD audio with jap exclusive bluray,   Why do anything...   but really  WHY not should be the real question.   Why not do this?   people are already excited about a similar project that is pretty much going to be enhancing the dragon box but cutting it down to match Kai pacing and replacing the music.   that project is a big one  and I hope he succeeds  and i am even providing him with the dragon boxes for his project.   If you have a passion for something just do it.  I was just hoping with a forum like this there would be senior members  that could help me on the right track.

Dragon Box was mastered in Standard Definition so I don't see the point of "upscaling" dvd quality especially if you plan on doing what is shown in this thread http://kametsu.com/topic/56065-what-softwares-do-i-need-to-get-this-vídeo-quality/#comment-509963. And the part I bolded in yellow, like, why? How is cutting down Dragon Box to match Kai pacing and replacing the music enhance Dragon Box? 

Anyways, here: https://ffmpeg.org/

that is what another member on this forum wants to do...  Me  I just want to   correct the color and do a proper up scaling..

If you check out the first youtube link at the top  and see the others.  This guy actually found way to get around most if not all the issues  of up scaling a SD source to HD.  SO again  why not do it?   the bluray box sets  are cropped and shifted around so much and even suffer from jitters. I would just prefer a Proper release. or at least a proper fan service...   

1 hour ago, LordFenix said:

that is what another member on this forum wants to do...  Me  I just want to   correct the color and do a proper up scaling..

If you check out the first youtube link at the top  and see the others.  This guy actually found way to get around most if not all the issues  of up scaling a SD source to HD.  SO again  why not do it?   the bluray box sets  are cropped and shifted around so much and even suffer from jitters. I would just prefer a Proper release. or at least a proper fan service...   

For the most part, there is no reason to upscale something, because you're not going to magically create more detail, all you're going to do is blow up the image to a bigger size and introduce bloat.

Side by side    Dragon Box color corrected and upscaled    and  DBZ Bluray      Goku first time going super saiyan

Side by side dragon box color corrected and upscale    and bluray release motivational piccolo  

does it really look bloated?  

does it look worse? or does it actually compare very well and even shows how much they really cut from the top and bottom frame.

6 hours ago, LordFenix said:

Side by side    Dragon Box color corrected and upscaled    and  DBZ Bluray      Goku first time going super saiyan

Side by side dragon box color corrected and upscale    and bluray release motivational piccolo  

does it really look bloated?  

does it look worse? or does it actually compare very well and even shows how much they really cut from the top and bottom frame.

1. You can't tell bloat from a YouTube video. Bloat refers to the size of the video. 

2. I never argued anything about colour correction or the Blurays being cropped. My whole point is that just upscaling a video is pretty much pointless, as you can't magically create detail that isn't there to begin with. You would be better off leaving it at the source resolution and letting your player upload it. The only time upscaling can make a difference is if the person doing it knows what they are doing, and even then, the benefits are minimal. Looking at the filters you mentioned earlier, there really wasn't much "enhancement" done. 

You've already admitted you're not familiar with this stuff, so I'm not really sure why you're arguing, it's like you've just picked up certain buzzwords and you're throwing them around like fact.

just been my experience every time I play a 480p source  full screen on a 1080p display   I get allot of blurring and artifacts..     that is including me playing the box sets.  naturally I assumed  if I upscale it digitally and find the correct settings  in encoding it.  I could correct all the blurring and better hide the artifacts that appear.   

5 hours ago, LordFenix said:

just been my experience every time I play a 480p source  full screen on a 1080p display   I get allot of blurring and artifacts..     that is including me playing the box sets.  naturally I assumed  if I upscale it digitally and find the correct settings  in encoding it.  I could correct all the blurring and better hide the artifacts that appear.   

Artifacts aren't something that happen from upscaling. So if you're seeing that, it was already on the unupscaled encode or you're seeing something else and calling it artifacts rather than what it is. As for upscaling when encoding, or upscaling on playback... depending on your video player configuration, and what you used to resize upon upscaling when encoding; it'd be identical. If you're getting different results, you're doing it wrong. Upscaling a 480p video during playback will have the same blurring as upscaling a 480p source to 1080p during encoding. To counter this people often use dumb filters like warpsharpening which ruin line-art. The problem is the majority of anime and cartoon encoders don't know how to encode. They think they do, but they don't. Unless you're capable of using x264 CLI (no GUI) and writing your own .bat and your own avisynth script with proper scene by scene masks, rather than a "one setting rules them all GUI encoder" or a "filter the whole episode the same with no masks".

1 person likes this

>100mb/episode

>upscaled 1080p

>sharpening: 15

why

On 1/20/2017 at 4:48 AM, LordFenix said:

They will also have the japanese track from the ORIGINAL BROADCAST (which, if you dont know, is EXTREMELY rare and is the best quality in existence). Not even Toei Animation has the audio in this quality.

also, where are you planning on getting this supposed broadcast audio from? because I highly doubt you have access to such a source

Edited by PDoggy77
2 people like this

let me explain better... if you noticed i quoted the whole thing... this was all the info i found on a project that was going on 3 years ago...   that was his plan... the 100mb was for 480p which i still didnt see working... and the 1080 he never said a file size goal... and again  his goal was to cram every audio source he could...     I myself  only want to  Remaster it  correct the colors.  clean up the image if need be  and tweak it to the point where it should look GOOD if not PERFECT at any resolution.      and just Keep the original Jap audio  and the original English with jap music track...   and of course Subs.

As for sources...  i have stumbled across the parts of the original broadcast audio (have no interest in it)  over a year ago...      and again...  if you would have read everything   I clearly pointed out this is EVERYTHING i found of the  last project that was close to what i wanted to do.    If you check out  the side by side links i posted  you can see what he was able to do   and im just trying to figure out how he did it... can it be improved  and actually release it  instead of  what this guy did  which was  get  Help from Doom9 and a few other forums  and then not share his finished project or even released his final notes to allow someone else to do it.

here  more  video proof  of what this guy was up to before he just dropped it...  

Edited by LordFenix

On 1/23/2017 at 4:23 PM, PDoggy77 said:

>100mb/episode

>upscaled 1080p

>sharpening: 15

why

also, where are you planning on getting this supposed broadcast audio from? because I highly doubt you have access to such a source

I wholly agree. I would also like to know. 

Personally, I wouldn't bother color correcting DBox. Don't believe there's any reference quality copies of the show out there, as in there's nothing to make the DBox look like. Without a reference, all you can really do is guess, which is completely pointless. The entire purpose of color correction is accuracy to the source, if you don't have anything representative of the source, what's the point?

there are Cels  that collectors have... and thank god  i know a few in NC..  plus you can go by the bluray releases  for the most part on the colors..  yes its still a guessing game..

I have both Dragon Box sets...   if you want links let me know..

Edited by LordFenix
add info
1 person likes this

If you could provide the Dragon Box untouched ISO's I would be forever grateful LordFenix. I've been thinking about taking a shot at attempting the definitive Dragon Ball Z release since Funimation has yet to (or ever will) release 4:3 sets (with all three audio). Seems like multiple people have attempted this but ending up dropping the project. Doing so without the proper resources (untouched ISO's) seems like a waste. I have searched all over but it every link is now dead. Speaking of which since you own both the JP release and US release what's the quality difference between the two? I know the R1 release is slightly brighter due to the NTSC standards in North America. I know Kanzenshuu has compared the two but was just wondering what your opinion was.

1 hour ago, UsaraKa said:

If you could provide the Dragon Box untouched ISO's I would be forever grateful LordFenix. I've been thinking about taking a shot at attempting the definitive Dragon Ball Z release since Funimation has yet to (or ever will) release 4:3 sets (with all three audio). Seems like multiple people have attempted this but ending up dropping the project. Doing so without the proper resources (untouched ISO's) seems like a waste. I have searched all over but it every link is now dead. Speaking of which since you own both the JP release and US release what's the quality difference between the two? I know the R1 release is slightly brighter due to the NTSC standards in North America. I know Kanzenshuu has compared the two but was just wondering what your opinion was.

Video bit rate is the difference.    Jap has higher bit rate   due to only having 1 audio track and subs.  US release has a lower bit rate to make room for the 5.1 English audio.  I grabbed both sets  because the 5.1 English has the jap music

1 hour ago, UsaraKa said:

Actually Fenix is giving me his R2 ISO's (which are a bit better quality and less compressed than the R1) to work on my project with. Now, unfortunately I tried but am flunking at AVIsynth, so I'm primarily working in Premiere and TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works to color correct and sharpen the image a little. Any DNR applied on the NLmeans setting in Handbrake will be minimal.

3 hours ago, Masquerade said:

Actually Fenix is giving me his R2 ISO's (which are a bit better quality and less compressed than the R1) to work on my project with. Now, unfortunately I tried but am flunking at AVIsynth, so I'm primarily working in Premiere and TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works to color correct and sharpen the image a little. Any DNR applied on the NLmeans setting in Handbrake will be minimal.

Well, if anyone reading this wants to share their Dragon Box ISO's or point me in the right direction with working links please pm me. :D

Hey LordFenix, is the same guy who posted this video the one who started the project (I assumed so)? Because maybe he'd be willing to share his method/settings which he used for his project. He did reply to a comment 1 month ago from the video above so at least he's still somewhat active on his youtube page.

1 minute ago, UsaraKa said:

Well, if anyone reading this wants to share their Dragon Box ISO's or point me in the right direction with working links please pm me. :D

Hey LordFenix, is the same guy who posted this video the one who started the project (I assumed so)? Because maybe he'd be willing to share his method/settings which he used for his project. He did reply to a comment 1 month ago from the video above so at least he's still somewhat active on his youtube page.

I have tried talking to him a few times... and got him to confirm the stuff I pasted at the top convo  are his OLD settings he used when he first started the project... but he wouldn't tell me  his more recent settings...   so we are stuck using his old settings  and then improve on them...      Ignoring his Bitrates of course lol...  but  the type of filters  and the order he uses them could be the key to keeping the quality while improving on it.