Mail server back in operation

Nekone

We have enabled mail functions again on the forum after clearing up the original issue with spam. There are a couple of things I need to let you know about though, because some changes were made to the system.

First thing to note is that a lot of you may not receive notifications as fast as you had before. We had to throttle down how fast the mail server sends mail out to any given domain. Any noticeable delay will be dependent on the mail server's current load at the time the message is sent for any given email domain. Rest assured though mail will still be delivered.

Another thing to note is, we forcefully unsubscribed all members from the mailing list option, which is what got us into trouble in the first place. Members must now explicitly enable that checkbox on their own if they want to receive admin-generated mails. However, Koby and I had a talk about it and he decided that for now no more admin-generated emails will be sent until proper controls can be put into place. This does NOT affect emails for threads you wish to be notified of replies for, or for received private messages, or any other such settings. It only affects bulk email, aka admin emails.

Lastly, new registrations will now have the "send me news and updates" box unchecked on the registration form itself. Users can then opt-in on this form, or later after registration if they want.

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused.

• Koby locked this topic