Little Witch Academia (TV)

Koby

xshCdun.jpg

MAL

TV version of Little Witch Academia.

Akko Kagari is an ordinary girl who joins the renowned witch academy for witch girls, Luna Nova Academy. When she was younger, she went to Magical Festa, a magic show hosted by a witch named Shiny Chariot. Akko was so mesmerized and inspired by Shiny Chariot's performance that she dreamed to someday be a "cool" witch like her. This young and impressionable Akko takes Shiny Chariot's words as her own motto: "Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.“

• Like 1

YES! I DIDN'T KNOW IT STARTED! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!

Although. It appears that they are somewhat taking the DragonBall Super route. But I appreciate they aren't 100% re-doing the OVA's and putting a new spin on things. This will be interesting

Edit: After actually watching the whole episode I have decided that I jumped to conclusions... because it's almost nothing like the OVA's xD all they did was kind of re-do the start with her seeing that witch (Forget her name already...) 

Edited by K Universe

On 1/14/2017 at 2:05 AM, K Universe said:

YES! I DIDN'T KNOW IT STARTED! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!

Although. It appears that they are somewhat taking the DragonBall Super route. But I appreciate they aren't 100% re-doing the OVA's and putting a new spin on things. This will be interesting

Edit: After actually watching the whole episode I have decided that I jumped to conclusions... because it's almost nothing like the OVA's xD all they did was kind of re-do the start with her seeing that witch (Forget her name already...) 

I thought it was good in this case that they were starting from scratch rather than continuing from the OVAs. It's been confirmed for 25 episodes so they should be able to flesh out the characters more and still advance the story past that; and so far they've done it in a way that feels fresh, rather than just some long recap of the same events. It feels different, and I'm enjoying the show much better than I thought I would. In fact I thought the OVAs were kind of meh because the lack of time to actually develop the characters and the world and still progress the plot, while this series I feel has been doing great. It's a surprise hit for me this season so far, because honestly I'm usually not that fond of Trigger productions and I went into this show expecting to drop it within the first couple episodes.

On 1/21/2017 at 1:16 AM, Koby said:

I thought it was good in this case that they were starting from scratch rather than continuing from the OVAs. It's been confirmed for 25 episodes so they should be able to flesh out the characters more and still advance the story past that; and so far they've done it in a way that feels fresh, rather than just some long recap of the same events. It feels different, and I'm enjoying the show much better than I thought I would. In fact I thought the OVAs were kind of meh because the lack of time to actually develop the characters and the world and still progress the plot, while this series I feel has been doing great. It's a surprise hit for me this season so far, because honestly I'm usually not that fond of Trigger productions and I went into this show expecting to drop it within the first couple episodes.

I agree, I'm not saying they should recap lol 

I think an ideal thing studios should be doing is use OVA's as a buffer zone, or maybe even use it for canon origin stories or something. An example would have been Konosuba. An OVA came out in between the 1st and 2nd season, I didn't read the LN's but I thought it might have been canon... but tbh it ruins the "Original Video Animation" name xD but it's a good way to kind of continue the story. 

But I guess that really wouldn't work here since the OVA's were before the TV series... plus it might have been weird if the episodes were leading up to it then it was like "Whoa! so that thing that happened the other day. Right?" AHA HA! But, not really complaining. Loving the series right now

On 2/3/2017 at 1:26 PM, sebros02 said:

the story seems a bit generic but the art is great

i agree with you on this one. and yet, others make it seem like its a whole lot more. i'm not really one to go along with hype, especially, if its Trigger hype. for the record though, i like most of the studio's work. especially Ninja Slayer.

also, good animation can only take you so far.

• 3 months later...

I dropped the show sadly.. I got up to episode 8. 

My problem with it from what I can tell is, it feels like one of those "What are these characters doing THIS week?" and... I just don't think the characters are strong enough for that dynamic to be completely honest. Like, it's hilarious. Yeah. I LOVED the episode where they went into Sucy's mind. But I don't think they have an overall collective chemistry to hold up "just doing random things every week". I feel like they might be building up a huge grand story somehow. Like.... maybe everything ties together with the end or they'll do something huge with Ursula being Chariot. But I personally feel like it's kinda weak. I want to like it. The OVA's were fantastic. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT hating. But it's just... meh. When it's done I might binge watch it. But I just don't think it's interesting enough to keep me coming back every week 

Again, not hating. Just some random fatass's opinion... 

1 hour ago, K Universe said:

I dropped the show sadly.. I got up to episode 8. 

My problem with it from what I can tell is, it feels like one of those "What are these characters doing THIS week?" and... I just don't think the characters are strong enough for that dynamic to be completely honest. Like, it's hilarious. Yeah. I LOVED the episode where they went into Sucy's mind. But I don't think they have an overall collective chemistry to hold up "just doing random things every week". I feel like they might be building up a huge grand story somehow. Like.... maybe everything ties together with the end or they'll do something huge with Ursula being Chariot. But I personally feel like it's kinda weak. I want to like it. The OVA's were fantastic. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT hating. But it's just... meh. When it's done I might binge watch it. But I just don't think it's interesting enough to keep me coming back every week 

Again, not hating. Just some random fatass's opinion... 

Yeah, I'm up to episode 20 and things haven't changed. It's still just random episodic events that don't really mean anything in the grande scheme nor really progress the plot. Apparently the whole thing is about reawakening the 7 words on the staff that Akko has, but doing so has mostly been by accident all along the way. And like you, I don't really care about any of the characters too much. Akko just seems like the exact opposite of a character I should care about. Anyways 5 episodes to go, and the story hasn't really gone anywhere. We're still just getting episodic developments that do little outside of some slight character building. Pretty much these 20 episodes could have easily been condensed to about 4 episodes of content.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish the tv version were as good as the two OVAs. It's hard to put my finger on what exactly it is that is lacking, it just lacks the soul of the OVAs.

It's like a monster of the week format with crazy stuff happening every week but nothing that binds it together, no consequences.