My PC's internet speed is slower than sister's Mac??

truanifan678

So my problem that I'm hoping to improve is that my sister's Mac has a incredibly better speed via wifi than my PC no matter if I'm connected through wifi, through a Powerline adapter, or wired into the back of the router with an ethernet cord.

Here are a couple speed test results on the Mac:
Wifi on Mac (Safari) = 71 Mbps
Wifi on Mac (Firefox) = 64 Mbps

Here are a couple speed test results on the PC:
Netgear Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter on PC = 44 Mbps
Wifi on PC (Chrome) = 19 Mbps
Wifi on PC (Firefox) = 20 Mbps

We both used the same site (fast.com) taking turns several times checking the speed.
Normally I use the Netgear Powerline Adapter in my room to increase my speed for videos since my wifi connection sucks.

My PC is running Windows 7 (64-bit). The router is a Motorola SURFboard provided by the ISP. We can't buy our own because the last time I did they threw a fit when our internet had problems. Our wifi network goes from the router to an Apple AirPort Time Capsule 4th gen. (Please keep the Apple product hating out of the thread. It is what it is and I have no say in it so complaining about Apple products won't help.) The ISP disabled the wifi on the router because we connected it to the AirPort.

Any advice would be a huge help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by truanifan678

22 hours ago, DJHulp said:

Get the latest Internet Driver this isn't upgraded with Microsoft Update Automatically!

I'm not as computer savvy as I want to be... I think I found some of the right ones, but I'm afraid of screwing up my computer. How do I know which are the right ones? Some of the drivers I'm not sure where to find them or if they're part of some sort of driver bundle. I'm ashamed to say I've always just depended on the auto update for system stuff except for things like Perl and Python which I needed to install for other software.

18 hours ago, JohnFlower said:

What's the model of your PC?

Lenovo ThinkPad E430.

14 hours ago, Animemaster said:

maybe there is some background internet usage?

Shouldn't be, but again I'm not the most computer savvy so there probably is. How can I determine what connections are running? When I tested the speed the only thing I had open what the browser.

Thanks everybody for helping me with this. I'll try installing the drivers that I found that seem to match the ones I already have.

Did you test it with the computers/laptops in the same room?

What is the speed when putting the ethernet cable in the Mac?

Does your router have 802.11ac enabled?

The router is a Motorola SURFboard

from the router to an Apple AirPort Time Capsule 4th gen

Wait, a router after a router? Or is the SURFboard a modem?

Edited by misseps

1 hour ago, truanifan678 said:

I'm not as computer savvy as I want to be... I think I found some of the right ones, but I'm afraid of screwing up my computer. How do I know which are the right ones? Some of the drivers I'm not sure where to find them or if they're part of some sort of driver bundle. I'm ashamed to say I've always just depended on the auto update for system stuff except for things like Perl and Python which I needed to install for other software.

Use Right Click onto the Start Button -> Device Manager -> Network Adapters.

Then click or double click left mouse onto Network Adapter and click then onto Driver.

Then test first out if you can update the Drive even if it said you got the latest one please: if this not work then use you're driver details and search it online with Google. ;) 

Edited by DJHulp

46 minutes ago, DJHulp said:

Use Right Click onto the Start Button -> Device Manager -> Network Adapters.

Then click or double click left mouse onto Network Adapter and click then onto Driver.

Then test first out if you can update the Drive even if it said you got the latest one please: if this not work then use you're driver details and search it online with Google. ;) 

Thanks! Seeing as this was my sister's former laptop (who is Mac-minded and probably messed a lot up on this thing) I wonder if she blindly installed stuff? There seems to be a lot of drivers and I'm not sure it it's all suppose to be there or not. I openly admit I'm pretty computer stupid so... Yeah. Here's a quick shot of my Network Adapters.

pmdl3zD.jpg

After trying to update via the Device Manager and clicking the driver for Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter I get a "Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software" error. Should I just continue, uninstall and install fresh, or something else altogether?

Really, thanks for all the help with this. I'm learning a lot.

1 hour ago, truanifan678 said:

Thanks! Seeing as this was my sister's former laptop (who is Mac-minded and probably messed a lot up on this thing) I wonder if she blindly installed stuff? There seems to be a lot of drivers and I'm not sure it it's all suppose to be there or not. I openly admit I'm pretty computer stupid so... Yeah. Here's a quick shot of my Network Adapters.

pmdl3zD.jpg

After trying to update via the Device Manager and clicking the driver for Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter I get a "Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software" error. Should I just continue, uninstall and install fresh, or something else altogether?

Really, thanks for all the help with this. I'm learning a lot.

You can try reinstall, but first make a windows backup & driver backup.

So you can always return if something went wrong.

Why Windows Back-up:

Make a Full-Backup from you're computer so you can always return.

Why Driver Back-Up:

If only something went wrong with the Drivers and not the PC then you can return faster this way.

Tip:

If it was from you're sister and its now you'rse I recommend to make a Back-Up from the Files what you need / sister need.

Make also a Full Back-up from the PC & Drivers just incase and do then a Clean Install.

It will definally make you're pc go faster, but you have to reinstall everthing.

BTW:

Use Google, I'm not going to help step by step!

Because above things are a lot to do, I'm sorry!

Edited by DJHulp