Can Enterprise SSDs be used on regular PCs?

SenshiKeizu

Hey, guys I just got one question.

I just got a Samsung 3.84TB Enterprise SSD from someone (it was free), and I was wondering if it works on standard PCs.

I am aware that enterprise SSDs are mainly used for data centers, but I just wanted to know if I can add it to my PC with no issues.

Can it also be used as an OS drive?

Edited by Salem

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say yes.

It's still a storage drive at the end of the day; just with better hardware/life expectancy since it's designed for 24/7 use. I immagine the read and write speeds would be similar, if not better.

Odd that I couldn't find a direct yes/no answer via search results. It's all comparisons of enterprise vs consumer storage. :S

Edited by EmptyBasket

On 12/27/2016 at 1:40 AM, Salem said:

Samsung 3.84TB Enterprise SSD

According to Samsung's website:

INTERFACE
SATA 6Gb/s 
(compatible with SATA 3Gb/s & SATA 1.5Gb/s)

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/enterprise/pm863a.html

So yes it would be able to. Like Beave said, if the plugs fit, it will work. 

On 12/27/2016 at 1:40 AM, Salem said:

Can it also be used as an OS drive?

What do you think the data centres put their OS onto? :P (Probably PCI-e versions but anyways...).

Yes it can be, usually one would get a 128/256/512GB SSD, place the OS onto that, and use a traditional 4TB HDD as storage. 

Thanks for the help guys! 

I just wanted to be sure since the term "Enterprise SSD" kinda scared me. Good to know it works like a regular drive.

8 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

...usually one would get a 128/256/512GB SSD, place the OS onto that, and use a traditional 4TB HDD as storage. 

I was going to use the normal Samsung 850 Pro (2TB) as my OS drive. But since I was given the 3.84TB SSD and the fact that I install a lot of programs I thought it would be appropriate to use that. Also I've read that Enterprise SSDs last longer so I thought why not.

On 29/12/2016 at 6:04 PM, Salem said:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Cool ok, just a reminder, if you are going to use the 3.6TB as the primary drive, you need to set it to GPT (instead of MBR) for you to use the whole (3.6TB) as a single partition drive. MBR does not support partitions greater than 2TB, whereas GPT does. http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1923415/install-windows-3tb-4tb-larger-hdd.html

By the looks of things, Windows will set it up this way (GPT) for you from the beginning if doing a clean install? But Im not 100% sure.

4 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

Cool ok, just a reminder, if you are going to use the 3.6TB as the primary drive, you need to set it to GPT (instead of MBR) for you to use the whole (3.6TB) as a single partition drive. MBR does not support partitions greater than 2TB, wh

By the looks of things, Windows will set it up this way (GPT) for you from the beginning if doing a clean install? But Im not 100% sure.

Don't worry I'm aware of this.

Usually if the drive is clean then Windows would set the drive to GPT instead of MPR.

But the important thing is for the motherboard to support UEFI.

31 minutes ago, Salem said:

Don't worry I'm aware of this.

Usually if the drive is clean then Windows would set the drive to GPT instead of MPR.

Cool cool. 

And isn't that only for secure boot enabling? I'm pretty sure you can install Windows 10 on a non UEFI mobo: 

"For new devices that are launched a year after the release of Windows 10, they must have UEFI and Secure Boot enabled at the factory. This does not affect existing systems." - source

5 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

Cool cool. 

And isn't that only for secure boot enabling? I'm pretty sure you can install Windows 10 on a non UEFI mobo: 

"For new devices that are launched a year after the release of Windows 10, they must have UEFI and Secure Boot enabled at the factory. This does not affect existing systems." - source

From my understanding UEFI is a newer version of the BIOS interface which can support higher than 2TB capacities. Any BIOS Utility that has a GUI is UEFI. The older interface (regular BIOS) just has a blue screen with text.

This is what a UEFI interface looks like (look at the top left), it has a GUI:

Spoiler

ASUS%20X99-D%20BIOS%2001%20-%20EZ%20Mode

Whereas the old BIOS interface looks like this:

Spoiler

biosHead.gif

But again I'm not sure.

Edited by Salem

On 31/12/2016 at 10:24 PM, Salem said:

From my understanding UEFI is a newer version of the BIOS interface which can support higher than 2TB capacities.

Not such the case. I had a legacy BIOS with 2x 4TB's that it saw fine. Maybe your limitations would come into play with RAID setups? But for general storage, you're good :) 

On 31/12/2016 at 4:29 PM, Salem said:

I was going to ask why you stated this, but I see now.