Steins;Gate The Movie USBD will be hitting shelves on March 28, 2017

Koby

pyYGTvf.jpgYou’ve been waiting for it for years—and now we can finally say that FUNimation has officially announced that Steins;Gate: The Movie - Load Region of Déjà Vu will be hitting shelves on March 28, 2017!

The film won the 2013 Newtype Anime Awards for Best Anime Film.

Synopsis

After a year in America, Kurisu Makise returns to Akihabara and reunites with Rintarou Okabe. However, their reunion is cut short when Okabe begins to experience recurring flashes of other timelines as the consequences of his time traveling start to manifest. These side effects eventually culminate in Okabe suddenly vanishing from the world, and only the startled Kurisu has any memory of his existence.

In the midst of despair, Kurisu is faced with a truly arduous choice that will test both her duty as a scientist and her loyalty as a friend: follow Okabe's advice and stay away from traveling through time to avoid the potential consequences it may have on the world lines, or ignore it to rescue the person that she cherishes most. Regardless of her decision, the path she chooses is one that will affect the past, the present, and the future.

• Like 8

On 12/11/2016 at 11:52 AM, Koby said:

March 28th is a good day for anime though. Several other things such as DanMachi release same day.

Well, if I remember correctly, DanMachi came after Steins;Gate Movie. Also, the difference total length is huge. It is just a movie, 1 year should have been enough. Sorry, but this is one of my personal fav so I really am very very impatient about this.

Anyways, thanks for always posting these news.

16 minutes ago, Catar said:

DanMachi: Aired: Apr 4, 2015 to Jun 27, 2015

Steins;Gate Movie: Aired: Apr 20, 2013

jus' sayin.

anyway, don't worry, @deanzel will be here to save anime.

So, yeah I was correct.

It took them 4 years for this movie. Probably the second longest I have ever waited for a anime dub/BD-release/etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 3:58 PM, ani-me said:

Well, if I remember correctly, DanMachi came after Steins;Gate Movie. Also, the difference total length is huge. It is just a movie, 1 year should have been enough. Sorry, but this is one of my personal fav so I really am very very impatient about this.

Anyways, thanks for always posting these news.

It helps to understand that Funimation has been constantly adding more and more anime to dub on their plate, so they probs got too caught up with newer projects (by that, I meant simuldubs) while neglecting the Stein's Gate movie until Rintaro's VA, Michael Tatum bothered to remind Funimation that they still gotta finish dubbing that shit. xD

I've been waiting for the movie as well, but honestly, I've forgotten about it until the dubbed announcement was brought up again. I'm confident that Funimation will be able to live up to the expectations of several highly anticipated viewers. ^^

Edited by Inverti

On 1/6/2017 at 10:08 PM, Inverti said:

It helps to understand that Funimation has been constantly adding more and more anime to dub on their plate, so they probs got too caught up with newer projects (by that, I meant simuldubs) while neglecting the Stein's Gate movie until Rintaro's VA, Michael Tatum bothered to remind Funimation that they still gotta finish dubbing that shit. xD

I've been waiting for the movie as well, but honestly, I've forgotten about it until the dubbed announcement was brought up again. I'm confident that Funimation will be able to live up to the expectations of several highly anticipated viewers. ^^

Yes, those simuldubs delayed my Steins;Gate... I hate them...

And, just how can one ever forget about this?? Man, humans sure are useless..

1 hour ago, ani-me said:

Yes, those simuldubs delayed my Steins;Gate... I hate them...

And, just how can one ever forget about this?? Man, humans sure are useless..

Calm down... the Stein's Gate movie isn't everything; Funimation is still a business at its core, so of course it's no surprise that they're trying out new methods to make more revenue. Also, at least they didn't cancel the movie. So it's ok.

19 hours ago, Inverti said:

Calm down... the Stein's Gate movie isn't everything; Funimation is still a business at its core, so of course it's no surprise that they're trying out new methods to make more revenue. Also, at least they didn't cancel the movie. So it's ok.

hahhaha....

I am calm...I was just ..umm..acting I guess...

Well, I doubt any company would drop such a popular show.. it would surely sell better than most shorter series now a days..

Besides, a part of me appreciates the fact that they took the time to do it properly, hopefully, instead of focusing on speed like with simuldubs..nothing against simuldubs though..

5 hours ago, ani-me said:

hahhaha....

I am calm...I was just ..umm..acting I guess...

Well, I doubt any company would drop such a popular show.. it would surely sell better than most shorter series now a days..

Besides, a part of me appreciates the fact that they took the time to do it properly, hopefully, instead of focusing on speed like with simuldubs..nothing against simuldubs though..

Simuldubs are done well. Their pacing is faster than home video releases, but the quality hasn't dropped. Though, it may be slightly grating that a consistent cast might not necessarily be doable due to conflicting schedules. 

9 hours ago, Inverti said:

Simuldubs are done well. Their pacing is faster than home video releases, but the quality hasn't dropped. Though, it may be slightly grating that a consistent cast might not necessarily be doable due to conflicting schedules. 

Yes, I recall having a similar convo with someone...

I don't watch simuldubs, so surely I can't be sure, and since, according to what I have heard, the same audio, just lossless, is used in BD, so it probably must be good...Besides afaik Funi usually does a good job at dubbing..

4 hours ago, ani-me said:

Yes, I recall having a similar convo with someone...

I don't watch simuldubs, so surely I can't be sure, and since, according to what I have heard, the same audio, just lossless, is used in BD, so it probably must be good...Besides afaik Funi usually does a good job at dubbing..

Yup, indeed they do. Funimation usually does spot on casting, and in many instances, they do an even better job than the original Japanese.

9 minutes ago, Inverti said:

Yup, indeed they do. Funimation usually does spot on casting, and in many instances, they do an even better job than the original Japanese.

Except Black Star in Soul Eater where they cast a woman to play a boy and sounded ridiculous. I don't know who had the bright idea to have Brittney Karbowski (the voice of Misaka on Railgun/Index) voice Black Star...

Or Yu Kanda on D.Gray-man where they made a teen sound like an old man by casting Travis Willingham for the part; luckily they corrected this with D.Gray-man Hallow as he was the only character recast for the new dub. Ian Sinclair by far was a better fit for Yu Kanda imo and I'm happy that was corrected. It's just a shame the first 51 episodes can't be updated with his voice.

My biggest complaint of late is their use of fake accents however. I find fake accents worse than miscasting of characters. The 91 Days Simuldub by FUNimation sounded like garbage as a result and it's one of those shows where a dub would be extremely fitting since it's set in America, but the dub was so bad I didn't even bother to do a dual-audio release of my subtitled release I did. The accents are nerve-wracking bad.

But yeah, the majority of their dubs are usually pretty spot on. Steins;Gate was great imo.

3 hours ago, Koby said:

Except Black Star in Soul Eater where they cast a woman to play a boy and sounded ridiculous. I don't know who had the bright idea to have Brittney Karbowski (the voice of Misaka on Railgun/Index) voice Black Star...

Or Yu Kanda on D.Gray-man where they made a teen sound like an old man by casting Travis Willingham for the part; luckily they corrected this with D.Gray-man Hallow as he was the only character recast for the new dub. Ian Sinclair by far was a better fit for Yu Kanda imo and I'm happy that was corrected. It's just a shame the first 51 episodes can't be updated with his voice.

My biggest complaint of late is their use of fake accents however. I find fake accents worse than miscasting of characters. The 91 Days Simuldub by FUNimation sounded like garbage as a result and it's one of those shows where a dub would be extremely fitting since it's set in America, but the dub was so bad I didn't even bother to do a dual-audio release of my subtitled release I did. The accents are nerve-wracking bad.

But yeah, the majority of their dubs are usually pretty spot on. Steins;Gate was great imo.

I think the bigger issue here is casting a woman that sounds terrible as young boys as opposed to a woman playing Black Star, cuz even in the original JP, a woman was tasked to voice as Black Star. I would not have minded a higher pitched male tenor voice at all, honestly. In fact, I would have preferred it over Brittney, whom @NeutralHatred claims to be ultimate waifu material, not boys. 

3 hours ago, Koby said:

I would love to pitch in about this (haven't watched DGM yet), but if I have to be honest, you are the only person I've come across so far that doesn't like Travis as Yu. A number of people can't tell the difference between Travis and Ian too... you are entitled to your opinion regardless; just stating an observation in my circle.

3 hours ago, Koby said:

My question would be, since it's set in America, what's up with the contrived accents? Wouldn't the characters have sounded just fine if the VAs spoke naturally?? Also, contrived accents generally sound fine to me; yeah, they're stereotypes, but it's far less grating to hear a contrived British accent than British people speaking in American drawl. Imagine if Black Butler had everyone speaking like an American instead of British. Oooooh, that would have NOT gone well. And Hetalia without accents? That too.

Edited by Inverti

15 minutes ago, Inverti said:

I would love to pitch in about this (haven't watched DGM yet), but if I have to be honest, you are the only person I've come across so far that doesn't like Travis as Yu. A number of people can't tell the difference between Travis and Ian too... you are entitled to your opinion regardless; just stating an observation in my circle.

If you're friends were okay with Yu Kanda sounding like an 80 year old man with a raspy voice due to smoking too much then sure; but they wouldn't be the kind of people I'd pay heed to their opinions either.

Sinclair:

Willingham:

Just now, Koby said:

If you're friends were okay with Yu Kanda sounding like an 80 year old man with a raspy voice due to smoking too much then sure; but they wouldn't be the kind of people I'd pay heed to their opinions either.

I'm sorry but I prefer voices to actually fit with the character template. Travis' Yu Kanda voice would have been better suited for one of the bald or grey haired shriveled up men on the show.

It's the same as me as well (preferring voices that fit the character), but I guess I'll be the judge of that when I do get to watching the series myself... I'll form my own opinion by then. Probs won't be for a while since Funimation has yet to release the remainder of S1.

And we don't know for sure if Ian is gonna be a permanent replacement for Travis for Yu. Only time will tell...

4 minutes ago, Inverti said:

And we don't know for sure if Ian is gonna be a permanent replacement for Travis for Yu. Only time will tell...

No, we know for a fact. The dvds didn't sell well initially, and many people blame the casting choice for Yu Kanda. That was also the same reason I didn't buy them either. The lack of sales meant that the show didn't earn FUNimation enough to warrant the price Dentsu wanted from FUNimation initially for the second half; hence why they never came to an agreement. This has been discussed to death about FUNi and Dentsu not agreeing to a license price due to FUNi stating they wanted more than what FUNi thought would be profitable based on sales of 1-51. FUNimation made the smart move by choosing to recast him; although they didn't have a choice either way. From what I was told, Travis Willingham is now part of the Union and as such apparently cannot work for FUNimation or at least couldn't do so within their studio in Texas based on where he now resides. As such FUNimation has already confirmed back when they announced they obtained the rights to 52-103 finally that Ian Sinclair will continue to reprise the role for the second half of the series as well.

2 minutes ago, Koby said:

No, we know for a fact. People actually boycotted buying the dvds to the point they didn't sell well enough to warrant the price Dentsu wanted from FUNimation initially for the second half; hence why they never came to an agreement. FUNimation made the smart move by choosing to recast him; although they didn't have a choice either way. Travis Willingham is now part of the Union and as such apparently cannot work for FUNimation. As such FUNimation has already confirmed back when they announced they obtained the rights to 52-103 finally that Ian Sinclair will continue to reprise the role.

So in other words, Sengoku Basara Judge End was recorded before Travis joined the union, then? Anyway, I see that you've posted two audio clips... lemme watch 'em.

Edited by Inverti