Sequel to Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 Announced

RazorDan

LNbFc3y.jpgAt the Code Geass 10th anniversary event on Sunday, a sequel to Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch has been announced. It will be titled Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Revival) and is set 3 years after the ending of R2. No news on what the plot will be or when it will air but it's clear that Lelouch will be involved, something that answers a lot of fan questions about R2's ending.

Personally, I am very excited, although I'm also wary. As a CG fanboy, I'm delighted we're finally getting more of the story but I am also worried that it could ruin what was a pretty great ending. What do you guys think? Comment below!

In addition, a three-part compilation film series of the previous Code Geass anime has been planned for January 2017. The voices will be redubbed for the movies, which will also include new scenes.

Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch is an original anime series produced by Sunrise, directed by Gorou Taniguchi with original character designs by manga artist group CLAMP, which aired in 25 episodes between October 2006 and July 2007. A sequel titled Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 was subsequently developed due to the immense popularity of the first season, also airing in 25 episodes between April 2008 and September 2008. An OVA Code Geass: Nunnally in Wonderland was released in July 2012. A spin-off movie series titled Boukoku no Akito was announced in April 2010, which screened in 5 parts from July 2012 to February 2016. The series was initially licensed by Bandai Entertainment for North American distribution before FUNimation re-licensed it in August 2013.

• Like 5

CyQRLbsUAAA3Ums.jpg:large

Saw this just before I noticed this post, looking forward to this, maybe have a crossover with Akito and the others during the new season. Also looking forward to Callin's reaction to seeing Lelouch alive hopefully and more C2!! 

Edited by (AC)

New season of Lelouch, that sound cool.

And well, I didnt really notice he survived either. But wasnt really paying attention cus I kinda got annoyed when Lelouche suddenly changed personality completely cus it was so freaking obvious he was going to do the whole: "Need a villain to unite the people" thing. And the whole reason i watched most of the 2nd season was so I could know how it ended. Maybe it wasnt to smart to marathon this series and I would probably have liked it better if i had a little break between R1 & R2.

But looking forward to the new season though, cus i was a fan of the Lelouche character, and the first season was great.

I'll likely do a rewatch of the series before the new season than, as it has been a while since i watched R1 & R2. (And i'll probably have to watch Akito aswell then)

Thanks for the info.

Must say I am surprised and excited by this news but as already stated above a little worried too. Code Geass was a great series (Have yet to check out the new movie series that has been coming out as I am hoping they dub it thus why I am yet to watch it.) but adding too it has a chance to ruin it.

For one the story may not be as good, it could be in someways rushed or have bad animations (look at Super or Berserk with its 3D animation). But this could very well be just as good as the first two seasons. I look forward to this!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J-Lord said:

Must say I am surprised and excited by this news but as already stated above a little worried too. Code Geass was a great series (Have yet to check out the new movie series that has been coming out as I am hoping they dub it thus why I am yet to watch it.) but adding too it has a chance to ruin it.

For one the story may not be as good, it could be in someways rushed or have bad animations (look at Super or Berserk with its 3D animation). But this could very well be just as good as the first two seasons. I look forward to this!

Same here I am also waiting for the Akito the Exiled English Dub.

7 minutes ago, Toddler Naruto said:

Same here I am also waiting for the Akito the Exiled English Dub.

I'm excited for it too, but it would seem that there's barely any info about it. And the Funimation license for the movie series has been secured for a few years already, too. Geez. :/

Edited by Inverti
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DJHulp said:

I hope if they are going to Dub it they use the same Cast. ;) 

Otherwise you get the same like High School DxD S03, it wasn't good anymore. :( 

I doubt it. Sunrise doesn't dub anymore and the Code Geass license is now in FUNimation's hands. It's very unlikely they'll get the original English Dub cast back, especially since it's cheaper and easier for them to just get their usual crew to handle it. Think Shakugan no Shana for instance where everything they did used an entirely new cast than what was done in S1.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moodkiller said:

Wait, High School DxD (1,2) were good?? 

>_>

<_<

As long as MC-Lelouch has the same English VA, I don't mind about everyone else.

*MK looks at his MAL list...STILL hasn't finished this series...

on that note, Lelouch season 2 isn't good either <.< Ending isn't bad though. 

1 hour ago, Catar said:

on that note, Lelouch season 2 isn't good either <.< Ending isn't bad though. 

¬¬ You're walking on thin ice

3 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

Wait, High School DxD (1,2) were good?? 

>_>

<_<

As long as MC-Lelouch has the same English VA, I don't mind about everyone else.

*MK looks at his MAL list...STILL hasn't finished this series...

Good for an anime centred around ecchi xD

Just now, Catar said:

i calls em like i sees em.

but yeah I don't usually venture into reviews and discussions because I apparently have very contentious opinions <.<

Well to each their own. Perhaps you wouldn't attract the evil eye if you'd said something among the lines of "you didn't like it" instead of "it's bad"  :P

Just now, Faronil said:

Well to each their own. Perhaps you wouldn't attract the evil eye if you'd said something among the lines of "you didn't like it" instead of "it's bad"  :P

I generally do, but in the case of Geass season 2 it just seems pretty objectively bad. There's so many bizarre choices made in terms of plot and character that make little to no sense, I can't see how anyone can call it anything but bad.

It honestly seems like the studio realized they had a hit on their hands, and the production committee stepped in and said "okay, time to insert every terrible anime cliché to make sure this sells well for a second release. Doesn't matter how badly it mangles season 1's plot."

but yes, that's just my opinion =P

6 hours ago, Koby said:

I doubt it. Sunrise doesn't dub anymore and the Code Geass license is now in FUNimation's hands. It's very unlikely they'll get the original English Dub cast back, especially since it's cheaper and easier for them to just get their usual crew to handle it. Think Shakugan no Shana for instance where everything they did used an entirely new cast than what was done in S1.

But we can be almost be sure that Johnny Yong Bosch is coming back for Lelouch IF Funi is getting the license. Also, given that the new Lelouch series ain't even out yet, you couldn't be absolutely sure if the license is falling into Funi's hands, as likely as it may sound. 

Let me use the Love Live series as an example. The first, original series belongs to Nis America, and Sunshine was licensed by Funi. And Hell Girl S1 -> Funi; S2-S3 -> Sentai

Regardless, I'm interested in seeing how this all turns out.

Edited by Inverti

9 hours ago, Faronil said:

Good for an anime centred around ecchi xD

Lol, I don't even know if I would go that far. Its to the point where I was like "ok, this is getting ridiculous now" 

Regarding Code Geass, I don't know what it was about this series that just didn't get me into the right frame of mind for watching it. I ended up looking forward to the action scenes more than anything and didn't focus much on the actual story.