AT&T Buying Time Warner!

Dervell

After several days of negotiations, AT&T has reached a deal to acquire Time Warner.

According to The Wall Street Journal (via Variety), the purchase is valued at over $80 billion. Ownership of Time Warner means that AT&T will also be the proud owner of Warner Bros., DC Comics, HBO, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, as well as a number of iconic characters, including Superman, Batman and Mad Max.

While AT&T will also have ownership of the Harry Potter film franchise, the company won't outright own the Harry Potter character.

Time Warner and AT&T declined to comment on the deal, but a formal announcement is expected to be made very soon; potentially later today.

The deal is already stirring up concern among the American Cable Association, thanks to the market power that would be granted to AT&T through this acquisition. The company released a statement today, saying that "combining valuable content with pay-TV distribution causes harm to consumers and competition in the pay-TV market."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/22/att-buying-time-warner

Edited by Dervell

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, gumby said:

This is so crazy to me, hope they plan something well for it. They charge so much but I'm grandfathered at the same time...

There isn't much impact, actually. TWC is already owned by Charter and now goes by the name of Spectrum. This is basically just a branding buyout, but they don't really have the rights over the content owned by Time Warner, which are still under their respective owners. Since you said that you were "grandfathered in", I figured you were referring to the service of Time Warner, hence this response. The only services of Time Warner are owned by Spectrum, though, rather than AT&T, so that is pretty much safe. In fact, I personally have Brighthouse for cable and internet and that was bought by Spectrum, which bought Time Warner Cable and my price for the service actually dropped after that merge and my connection speeds are better as well (35MBPS down to 60MBPS down, with an upload of 5MBPS from around 1MBPS all for $30 a month from $40 a month with the slower speeds).