Funimation & Crunchyroll Partnership

Dervell

8 minutes ago, Inverti said:

Please tell me you're kidding. Fansubbers are unprofessional to the bone. Piss poor grammar and spelling, flooding JP honorifics all over the subs to conform to weebs... need I continue? Yes, they get the job done quick. A HAPHAZARDLY done product, at that. It's really no surprise that Funimation and Crunchyroll are gonna stick with PROFESSIONAL translators and subbers.

LOL, sorry... I thought that it would be obvious that we are not using them to actually translate seen as they would be working with the official source. Though to be honest, some the funi TL's I have seen are questionable. Have a read on Crymore's website and look for the official vs fansub TL posts. 

This line: "Mainly to deal with the styling, typesetting and of course, karaoke effects." should have read "But only Mainly to deal with the styling, typesetting and of course, karaoke effects." 

4 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

Alright, time for my honest thoughts. The merge is great and all that jazz - definitely for the fans and members. 

I still think and believe companies like Funi and CR should headhunt the fansubbers and offer them (paid) jobs at each of the respective ends for subbing anime. Mainly to deal with the styling, typesetting and of course, karaoke effects. I would be more than willing to spend money on anime releases if they didn't look like shit (video and subtitle wise). I understand that deadlines are a huge factor, but please, fansubbers get stuff done within the next day of the show being released. 

There is another role, this one for the encoders. That "Download to Own" option CR speaks of here, imagine if the "best-of-the-best" encoders of today get hired to encode and release that for public purchase. 

The only thing that leaves is the availability and accessibility for the rest of the world... but that's another day's problem. 

47 minutes ago, Inverti said:

Please tell me you're kidding. Fansubbers are unprofessional to the bone. Piss poor grammar and spelling, flooding JP honorifics all over the subs to conform to weebs... need I continue? Yes, they get the job done quick. A HAPHAZARDLY done product, at that. It's really no surprise that Funimation and Crunchyroll are gonna stick with PROFESSIONAL translators and subbers.

I have to agree with Moodkiller on this one, why is it that you can get better versions of anime illegally for free than in an official release !? surely it should be the other way round! I have several anime that I have purchased to support the production but then ended up downloading better versions elsewhere anyways. And well Agreed sometimes Fansubbing can be erratic and full of errors but there is little chance that those issues would persist if these companies were paying Fansubbers to help with official releases. I can understand the issues with such an idea but I truly think it would benefit the community as a whole.

And Personally I would like to see all BD/DVD releases should come with digital downloads anyway (I know some do already) , although having a physical disc version is nice the versatility of a file is far superior in my opinion, download to own would be great! lots of other content on the internet works like that so I don't see why it wouldn't work for anime!?

All in all I think the community benefits from the merge so that's good at least :D

Edited by Moby JJ
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

Alright, time for my honest thoughts. The merge is great and all that jazz - definitely for the fans and members. 

I still think and believe companies like Funi and CR should headhunt the fansubbers and offer them (paid) jobs at each of the respective ends for subbing anime. Mainly to deal with the styling, typesetting and of course, karaoke effects. I would be more than willing to spend money on anime releases if they didn't look like shit (video and subtitle wise). I understand that deadlines are a huge factor, but please, fansubbers get stuff done within the next day of the show being released. 

There is another role, this one for the encoders. That "Download to Own" option CR speaks of here, imagine if the "best-of-the-best" encoders of today get hired to encode and release that for public purchase. 

The only thing that leaves is the availability and accessibility for the rest of the world... but that's another day's problem. 

one of the issues with this

is Fonts

1. Fan subbers use so many font's
    • quite a few that cost money
      • different licensing for web vs Home video
    • not sure how crunchyroll streams the subs exactly
      • would non standard fonts be an issue when streaming
  2. Fan subs are complex in styling
    • would the stream be able to handle all the complex stuff
      • kFx
      • 10+ signs with x y &z rotations moving across the screens all at once
        • my iphone could not handle some of the signs in [GJM] Space Patrol Luluco
          • and there one of the simpler ones
  3. the issue with PGS subs
    • Color Issues
      • have you ever made an ass into a pgs and noticed any drawing objects used to cover signs are not quite the right color
    • Complex Styles again

I think it would be great but there so many issues

not to mention legal issues

• would the company's feel comfortable that stuff would not be leaked
  • Would Fansubers want to let the companys know that they were a fan subber
  • etc.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Inverti said:

8 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

What you two don't realize, is most of Crunchyroll staff IS ex-fansubbers who quit fansubbin to work for Crunchyroll as-is.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Etzimal said:

Then why does everyone say the CR subs so shit? >.<

On a more serious note, I'm happy with the announced partnership. I did always say that FUNi would get AoT w/ Trainzzzz in the end.

Because 'fanedit'-groups of today need to still feel relevant.

For example, Commie gets shit on a lot by people, but if you actually look at their releases in comparison to CR rips, the only difference is some typesetting and some English for OP/ED in most cases aside from a handful of localization edits and the occasional meme. There are some releases they do though that they really go all out on the editing which is where all the flack about their work comes from, but the biggest handful have very few edits in actuality. A lot of groups who try and heavily edit a CR script, tend to do more harm than good in most cases as Dark_Sage over at Crymore use to showcase before that place died. This isn't to say there isn't groups out there that do actually legitimately do heavy editing that improves the subtitles, this is just simply that the majority of the 'fanedit' scene of today doesn't.

I'll take a more recent example though in a series I'm actually working on: 91 Days. Someone made a comment about three of the releases having very few edits and only one group having a lot of edits. They claimed by default the latter must be better. So I decided to look into these edits; many of them seemed like an attempt to dumb down 'big words' but their editing choices completely changed the meaning of the original line to the point you no longer even had an accurate sub.

In another show, Re:ZERO; a lot of fanedit workers made a stink about how bad CR was because it apparently made a very minor TL error and one group caught it while another group didn't. Apparently correcting that one TL error, in their eyes, outweighed all the negatives introduced by trying to edit stuff that didn't need editing. For example: Changing Barusu to Balse. Their reasoning for this is for fans to somehow connect the name to a line said in an old Ghibli movie. However changing it for localization actually ruins/loses the intended joke of it being the same letters of his actual name but in different order. So by changing this nickname, they lost the real intended joke, in hopes of people 'maybe connecting the dots' to another joke. One can argue all day about the merits of this versus that, but you certainly can't get Balse out of Subaru by simply re-arranging the syllables can you?

I'm sure, one of them will likely read this post, take it out of context and paste it on Twitter though, but I don't really care.

• Like 2

I never cared for subs, but I gotta say, it's irrefutably true that with dubs, scriptwriters could take more liberties without receiving backlash (provided that they choose the RIGHT liberties, that is).

On 9/9/2016 at 8:30 AM, superprohero said:

boring

Boring, huh? Oh yes, isn't that exactly what you are? Uh-huh, that should be pretty obvious.

• Like 1

I really enjoy Funi-dubs, and even if CR dont get dubs right away i think (or hope) that this partnership between them will be a step in the right direction to make dubbed (or atleast Funi-dubbed) anime more accessible for us without access to Funimation or other dubbed anime. So even tho i might seem a bit sad in my first post, that they wouldn't get dubs to CR, i still think this partnership is great news because of what i hope it could lead towards. But again, this is an opinion from someone without access to Funimation so there isn't really a downside for us with this partnership. I hope that FuniRoll is the start of something beautifull :x

On 9/10/2016 at 5:49 AM, Pikanet128 said:

one of the issues with this

is Fonts

1. Fan subbers use so many font's
    • quite a few that cost money
      • different licensing for web vs Home video
    • not sure how crunchyroll streams the subs exactly
      • would non standard fonts be an issue when streaming
  2. Fan subs are complex in styling
    • would the stream be able to handle all the complex stuff
      • kFx
      • 10+ signs with x y &z rotations moving across the screens all at once
        • my iphone could not handle some of the signs in [GJM] Space Patrol Luluco
          • and there one of the simpler ones
  3. the issue with PGS subs
    • Color Issues
      • have you ever made an ass into a pgs and noticed any drawing objects used to cover signs are not quite the right color
    • Complex Styles again

I think it would be great but there so many issues

not to mention legal issues

• would the company's feel comfortable that stuff would not be leaked
  • Would Fansubers want to let the companys know that they were a fan subber
  • etc.

I would imagine that most of the technical issues with the fonts and delivery of complex typesetting/kfx could be fixed with hardsubbing them though? Take a page out of Funi's book. Though I know you said this would hopefully mean everything gets softsub releases. I think they (CR) would be crazy to release the fansubbers version with softsubs, especially if they utilize the Download-to-own method, as I just see that being stolen by the butthurt fansubbers who didn't get chosen to work for them. 

As for the legality of the fonts, well buying them would work as now CR would have a bigger budget thanks to more people paying them for worthy releases + the increase from Funi fans. Snow ball effect. I haven't looked into all the fonts, but I assume if you bought them, you are free to use them however you see fit (unless otherwise specified by the dev and as long as you don't redistribute them).

Now the legal issues of fansubbers being just that, fansubbers, seems like @Koby has that covered?

On 9/10/2016 at 6:52 AM, Koby said:

..is most of Crunchyroll staff IS ex-fansubbers who quit fansubbin to work for Crunchyroll as-is.

If you can't beat them, join them!

(or ask them to join you in this case)

Edited by Moodkiller
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

Now the legal issues of fansubbers being just that, fansubbers, seems like @Koby has that covered?

If you can't beat them, join them!

(or ask them to join you in this case)

I knew that our TL For Shinran Subs was one

he left to work for CR 

thats why we died

that and a few weeks later Conan was added to CR

That group was him doing TL

one other who did timing

me who interpreted his slight engrish (No I did not just guess i guessed and checked back a lot with out TL)

one who did grammar check sometimes (I normally ended up doing it because I was the typesetter and encoder)

were some others who do pretty much nothing

that was back when I had more time on my hands

• 1 month later...

I don't really have much of an opinion on this one. I don't really use Crunchy Roll for like .. anything.. and Funimation I only hang around for DBZ titles. In fact when I tried watching the video I zoned out and looked at all the DBZ statues and merchandise and kinda didn't listen to what they were saying. 

I guess we'll see what it brings? 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Prince Salza said:

Hey guys, which is better: Funimation premium or Crunchyroll premium? I think crunchyroll has more shows, but funimation offers both dubs and subs. Which is the better value? Funimation is $5.99 per month, and C.R. is $6.95 per month. Thoughts?

Starting this season FUNimation will only have dubs. While Crunchyroll will stream the sub-version of the shows FUNimation licensed.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Prince Salza said:

Hey guys, which is better: Funimation premium or Crunchyroll premium? I think crunchyroll has more shows, but funimation offers both dubs and subs. Which is the better value? Funimation is $5.99 per month, and C.R. is $6.95 per month. Thoughts?

32 minutes ago, Koby said:

Starting this season FUNimation will only have dubs. While Crunchyroll will stream the sub-version of the shows FUNimation licensed.

@Prince Salza@Koby tl;dr Subscribe to FUNimation if you watch dubs, otherwise go with CrunchyRoll.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry for digging up an old topic, but has there been any news on these upcoming dubs? As stated in this screenshot, a dub for The Testament of Sister New Devil would be released ''in the coming weeks''. That was back in September last year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but almost half a year has passed without any update on the matter. Same goes for Kabaneri actually... so what gives?

Edited by Scyrous