RIP Kickass Torrents

Catar

As someone who torrented in the past but not so much now, This is a major hit for the torrent community. However, I agree with Koby if someone is profiting from torrents and torrenting then that is illegal and should be no surprise when they get shutdown. I've also always felt being labeled "Pirates" was ridiculous as well when in my opinion we should be labeled as "Preservers" because i'd like to think the majority of the torrent community was founded or based upon sharing or preserving that which may possibly be lost in the future.(Sure, they say things are forever on the internet but is it really??? I shudder to think what could be lost if it is not preserved)  Now, i know that may sound like a big stretch but hear me out. I don't know the full details on how torrenting came about but considering how most technological communities came about it was about sharing. Now, however i think that ideal has been twisted and misconstrued into greed, corruption, competition etc. By saying this, I mean that it first started out about "sharing" and "preserving" things. but then i think the majority of the community became a lil too obsessed with more and more that it slowly evolved into those other things i formerly mentioned. but that's not the only problem, another problem i noticed is it is 2016 and torrenting has not changed since when i started around 2005 or 2006. by this i mean, a couple different big sites were the main go to for stuff. industries have not even bothered(that i know of) to try to compromise or even capitalize on/with torrenters. (I would personally be more than happy to give money to companies that can provide me with good drm-free encodes like some of the many uploaders do here. I enjoy taking screencaps in my spare time but i can't do that with drm'ed episodes, movies etc. and that is a shame.) torrenting is still so open based that without some sort of anonymity service you can be pinpointed easily which again is a shame. seeding needs to be more thought out and possibly new methods implemented to mitigate possible damage or losses. Don't get me wrong I appreciate seeders and all they do but i think seeding is a huge proponent of possibly being detected. I've heard of seedboxes but never really bothered to check into them more intently. i guess what i'm saying is we need something more centralized where it mitigates liability on everyone. Anyways guys, that's my two cents sorry it's so long and hope it made sense. xD LOL whenever  it comes to these types of subjects i know what i want to say but to put it into words is a different thing. However, I would like that "Preservers" thing to replace the whole so-called "Pirate" name-game.

Edited by Cupcake
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mr. Kimiko said:

https://kickass.unblocked.live/full/

We are trying our best to bring back KAT to it's original glory. As of now, registrations and login are disabled.

Still a fake. -_-

Again actual KAT staff have already said they can't revive it as they don't have any site files or code. Every 'new KAT' is just a fake. The biggest one is just a TPB copy with a KAT skin for example, while others are just cached versions of KAT. Hence why full site is not available etc.

KAT is not coming back unless the owner gets out of jail and manages to win back his servers in court.

Just now, Koby said:

Still a fake. -_-

Again actual KAT staff have already said they can't revive it as they don't have any site files or code. Every 'new KAT' is just a fake. The biggest one is just a TPB copy with a KAT skin for example, while others are just cached versions of KAT. Hence why full site is not available etc.

KAT is not coming back unless the owner gets out of jail and manages to win back his servers in court.

Well, Kim Dotcom managed it with the Megaupload servers and the same lawyer. It's certainly possible. I doubt it though; after that fiasco no one will want a repeat. 

Just now, Catar said:

Well, Kim Dotcom managed it with the Megaupload servers and the same lawyer. It's certainly possible. I doubt it though; after that fiasco no one will want a repeat. 

Kim Dotcom, made MEGA from scratch though. Unless you're talking about Megaupload 2.0 which we haven't seen yet, but is also being freshly designed and coded from the ground up apparently, but yeah it does seem like he got back some of his servers. Still though, that was after a 4 and a half year long court battle. So even still, I doubt we'll see the KAT owner be able to revive KAT anytime soon. Court process is slow af.

Just now, Koby said:

Kim Dotcom, made MEGA from scratch though. Unless you're talking about Megaupload 2.0 which we haven't seen yet, but is also being freshly designed and coded from the ground up apparently, but yeah it does seem like he got back some of his servers. Still though, that was after a 4 and a half year long court battle. So even still, I doubt we'll see the KAT owner be able to revive KAT anytime soon. Court process is slow af.

Hell, that court battle isn't even over yet =P He just got the servers back, not off the hook entirely. 

54 minutes ago, Koby said:

Still a fake. -_-

How many years is the KAT owner expected to serve? I saw the court documents of the guy who busted him. I guess it was the same dude who busted that Silk Road guy.

On July 26, 2016 at 8:19 PM, testing123 said:

Try out LibraryGenesis or Academic Torrents.

+1. Library Genesis is THE best resource for textbooks in my opinion. I only found 1-2 texts in torrents that I couldn't find there actually. And it's direct download so super fast too.

For animes BakaBT and Nyaa are enough in my opinion. Never really went beyond them anyway. I don't watch movies but when I looked up uncompressed BD movies I came across some private Chinese trackers. They did seem pretty legit. IPT is also very good. Not a huge collection but quality stuff. Also found the last star novel there when I couldn't find it anywhere else in DDL OR torrents. 

Edited by bloodtalon

• 4 weeks later...

Before kat, it was TPB and some other weird looking torrents like Snoop, Lime, along with torrentz, Torrentz wasn't sure what it really was at 1st and i want the torrent, i was young and stupid and didn't understand it. always used google for my torrents, search like "blah blah blah torrents" then, "blah blah blah kickass". Will be missed.

Couldn't have said it any other way, Koby and Dr. Whiskers.

Edited by Smileyyakadoo

This also reminds me of when Demonoid got crushed when it was the place to go for anime, books, movies and almost anything else. It was off for many years and everyone found somewhere else to go. The owner was also jailed during this time. Although the site is now up and running, it is not as active and many of the torrents are no longer seeded. I still go there on occasion. In its prime though torrents were usually seeded for a really long time. One could find some rare/older torrents and still get them since all users needed to keep good ratios in order to keep their membership.

I did use Kickass often enough and will miss having the search functionality that it provided. Eventually another site(s) will replace it and file sharing will continue just like when other sites have been brought down.

The authorities are just playing whack a mole game in the end. The users will feel the pain for a short time but will adjust and find something new to serve them what they want, need and/or desire.