Gaming PC Help...

dn_angel000

I found an AMD Gaming PC on Amazon and was wondering how outdated it is. In the Product description it's equivalent  to an Intel i5 with R7 240 Graphics card, so just buy comparison how outdated would this AMD build be?? lol

Amazon Link: $499.99 AMD Gaming PC

Also was curious if these custom gaming builds would be able to run most if not nearly all relatively new games @ MAX SETTINGS:

Intel Build:

Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00GHz LGA1151 CPU

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 Motherboard

16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2400MHz PC4-19200 CL14 Intel X99 Quad Channel kit (4x4GB) Black Heatsinks

x2 ASUS STRIX Radeon R9 390X Overclocked 8 GB DDR5

OCZ Technology 256GB Vector Series SSD
Cooler Master Seidon 120M Water Cooling System
Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1500W PSU

AMD Build:

AMD FX 9370 H20 Cooled CPU

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz 32GB RAM

x2 Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2 8GB

OCZ Technology 256GB Vector Series SSD
Cooler Master Seidon 120M Water Cooling System
Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1500W PSU

If you're wanting to play all modern games on max settings with a PC that isn't going to have any trouble you're really going to be looking at at least $1,500 to $2000 with an Intel Build.

If you just want a PC that could play games on decent to high-end settings and not have issues while being on a budget, you'd be looking at around $750 with an Octacore AMD build.

If you just want a bottom of the barrel gaming PC you could build one for around $400, but I'd really suggest spending more for a better gfx card at least.

Either way, I'd recommend building yourself because these prebuilt ones will always cost you more for less.

• Like 1

Kek, those kids that have those shitty AMD APUs (A series) for serious gaming are delusional if they think it's equivalent to an Intel Core i5. Even the first generation i5s (we are 6+ generations in) can keep up with the A series . In short, don't bother with AMD's APU if want to seriously play games. On the other hand, they are damn good for HTPCs, especially if you can use the hardware decoder.

At the moment I will heavily suggest waiting for AMD Zen, as right now the used Intel Xeon market is way better in terms of price to performance ratio for gaming. I got a heavily overclockable Xeon 6 core CPU that rekts anything AMD can throw at it for about $180AUD and rivals the newer gen CPUs that cost around $500AUD. You can get a lot of them for even cheaper from Amazon or Ebay in other countries.

Or take @JohnFlower's advice in waiting for Kaby Lake from Intel.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dn_angel000 said:

What would you suggest for an AMD build to play modern games @4K?? lol

Bro I'm not sure you'd actually benefit from the 4K res. To really take advantage of that, you'd need the game assets to be of the same fidelity, which is rather unlikely. And using supersampling on textures has its limits too I guess. Right now, the safest bet would be to steer clear of 4K, and start investing in VR. From the reading I've done, it's about to become way more relevant than 4K res in the years to come. But you're welcome to argue, always nice to hear a fellow's views on the matter. :)

Edited by AB1908

Gaming is mostly a measure of the video card. Buying a prebuilt PC for gaming is fine, but to play the latest games be sure to add your own video card and maybe power supply.

I usually buy cards that are on both of the following lists: (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/)

p6OgAMc.png?1 

The left is the best performing cards, the right is the best value video cards for the money. A video card that that is near the top of both of these lists thus represents the best performance/price ratio.  At the moment, Nivida just released their 1xxx series line so the "older" 9xx series line is going down in price.

Taking that and the lists into consideration, the video cards to buy atm are either the GeForce GTX 970 or the 980 Ti, depending upon price range. (Note: I totally forgot to highlight the 980 Ti on the left chart. and the Radeon R9 295x2 is only highlighted for OP reference.) I've seen the GTX 970 as low as $200 on ebay/craigslist or ~$250 retail.

However, that's for 1080-1440p, I'm not sure what to recommend for 4k since that's a different league.

I always try to stay away from Crossfire/SLI or dual-gpu cards as they offer diminishing returns and games are not really optimized for it, but maybe a dual GPU setup is the only way to do 4k atm. Maybe the GTX 1070? or dual 970's?