D.Gray-man HALLOW

Koby

D.Gray-man HALLOW

HkyMMna.jpg

MAL

Synopsis

Toward the end of the 19th century, Allen Walker officially joins the organization of Exorcists that destroy the beings known as Akuma; mechanic weapons made by the Millennium Earl with the suffering souls of the dead. Allen has both a cursed eye and an anti-Akuma weapon as an arm, bearing the power of "Innocence," a gift given to him as an apostle of God. Allen, along with his fellow Exorcists must put a stop to the Millennium Earl's ultimate plot that could lead to the destruction of the world and all who live on it.

• Like 2

Only issue I have is that it's apparently only one cour of 13 episodes. I know the manga has been on a lot of hiatus' and not really advanced much in all this time due to the release schedule and there for a while was only releasing 4 chapters a year, but there was enough material for around 30 episodes so I would have preferred to see it announced at least for a 2 cour run of 24 episodes. Judging on just the preview alone, it seems likely they'll be skipping some of the smaller arcs and jumping into the next arc while also rushing it because there isn't any ideal way they could animate the arc shown in the preview in 13 episodes, much less do so if they animated any of the previous arcs that I'm thinking they'll be skipping over.

• Like 1

So they decided to skip the entire 16th story arc. Sure it was only a 6 chapter arc (most D.Gray-man arcs aren't very long though), but it really didn't make any sense to skip it entirely as we have a sudden jump. I suppose this does have a better starting place for a new series though, but I do hope they go back, perhaps in flashback mode to cover that missing segment, but considering this is only slated for a 13 episode run, I know that isn't going to happen here.

As for character designs, I'm honestly nostalgic for the old designs, but I didn't really care for Lavi, Cross, or Allens new designs. Lenalee suddenly has long hair, but probably the biggest change is Miranda is now brown-headed.

• Like 1

It feels like Allen really got nerfed power-wise and the fight so far was been pretty uneventful/lackluster and doesn't really seem to have any dimension if you know what I mean. Like it just doesn't give off that sense of emergency as if the cast is in danger despite them really being outnumbered and overpowered. I mean we all remember how hard it was to take down the first Level 4 Akuma they encountered at the very end of the first series. The characters have really had no time to have advanced since then so I don't feel like this one should be any easier to beat, but I have a feeling they'll put it down in the next episode mostly effortlessly whenever the Exorcists decide to actually get serious.

I'm enjoying seeing more D.Gray-man after all these years but so far I feel it's been a rather emotionless adaptation and I hope they can do something to make me feel differently in the coming episodes. Unfortunately with just a 13 episode run and the manga not seeming like it's going to end any time soon... we're either gonna get some lame anime-original ending to close it off, or we'll end up with just another open-ended ending, and not really be any better off than we was before.

One good thing I suppose about Hallow so far is it gave FUNimation the push to finally take initiative to licensed episodes 52-103 (END) of the first series.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying this series, was sad to see the Timothy arc rushed through but maybe they did this to have the Alma arc be the best it can be and not rush through that. Its the meat and potatoes of Hallow so I hope they adapt it well.  Really looking forward to seeing Alma animated. he was such a fun guy ..... ;_; and I know what happens. It'll be funny to see the anime-only-fans reaction to this arc when its airing.

Spoiler

s1x_09.jpg

9 hours ago, Koby said:

FUNimation's English Dub of D.Gray-man Hallow premieres tomorrow night if anyone is interested in watching it. I've put off watching the Simulcasts and will wait till the dub gets to episode 3 for me to continue watching via the dub.

I will be watching the dub (and hopefully be collab with @professa X for a dual audio release) when it comes out tomorrow cause I enjoyed it for the most part on the first 51 episodes and since the old cast will be returning for HALLOW, I don't see a single reason not to give it a watch. Although, I don't think I can wait for the dub to catch up so I will probably be watching both the sub and dub versions.

22 hours ago, Imagine Breaker said:

I will be watching the dub (and hopefully be collab with @professa X for a dual audio release) when it comes out tomorrow cause I enjoyed it for the most part on the first 51 episodes and since the old cast will be returning for HALLOW, I don't see a single reason not to give it a watch. Although, I don't think I can wait for the dub to catch up so I will probably be watching both the sub and dub versions.

sorry mate. was really bizy. this weekend is when i'll even get the chance. is the audio out?

• Like 1

So they brought back almost all of the original cast, except Travis Willingham. He voiced Yu Kanda in episodes 1-51 and totally did not fit the part. I hated the dub because of him. He was the biggest problem with the dub in my opinion so I'm glad he didn't come back to reprise the role. Don't get me wrong, he's a great voice actor, probably most known as Roy Mustang in Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. He just simply didn't fit for Yu Kanda.

Fortunately we've got Ian Sinclair as the new Yu Kanda and he'll be voicing the role from episode 52 on. He previously voiced a supporting character named Chaoji Han in D.Gray-man but he's probably most notably known for the voice of Ryner Lute in Legend of the Legendary Heroes, Whis in Dragon Ball Z Movie 14 Battle of Gods, Salva Ene in Dimension W, Worick in Gangsta, and his biggest role as Brook on One Piece. He may not be the perfect fit imo, but he is already a much better option just going by the first episode of Hallow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishmonster said:

Can I watch this show without watching the original 103 episodes first? (Never really like to watch shows that are that long)

I wouldn't recommend it. This jumps in 6 chapters after where episode 103 left off and assumes the viewer has seen everything prior. Without watching what comes before you'll be missing out on all the character building, the story arcs, etc... that came before, and just jumping into something that you don't really know whats going on or why the characters are doing what they're doing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Koby said:

I wouldn't recommend it. This jumps in 6 chapters after where episode 103 left off and assumes the viewer has seen everything prior. Without watching what comes before you'll be missing out on all the character building, the story arcs, etc... that came before, and just jumping into something that you don't really know whats going on or why the characters are doing what they're doing.

could probably modify it to be a legit life advice

this anime is being fast paced. i watched all the anime and read all of the manga, but since there was such a long time between the last chapter before hiatus and the new quarterly series this anime could be really just a summary of everything that has happened minus the black order desctruction arc