Berserk (2016)

Koby

Extremely disappointed in this adaptation, the extensive use of 3d and the amateurish direction 

makes it extremely hard to watch.

Another issue is the stupid censorship, considering the manga was completely the opposite in this regard.

Since the series is only 12 episodes, I don't have high hope for the team to fix the problems plague the issue, yet, 

I want another team to have a crack at this amazing manga and try to give it the treatment it deserve.

The reason i watch anime is for the story, and the animation is not to high on my list when deciding if the anime is good or not. The animation was a bit weird, but isn't actually that bad just different, and after the second episode i got used to it. The story is still great even tho they skipped some parts of the manga, but what they skipped (if i remembre correctly) isn't that relevant to the rest of the story. Really love this anime so far, but it would probably be a little bit better if the animation was better tho.

Edited by Fishmonster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Got around to finally finishing this, and I wasn't too impressed. I think the storytelling could use some improvement. I really liked it at first, but things felt really slow and dull after episode 6. I am most disappointed in the soundtrack. 1997 Berserk's soundtrack is a masterpeice imo, and Gut's Theme is beautiful. It is a shame that the track was not in this season.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Berserk (the original) is my favorite anime of all time. I'm currently watching the 2016 release, and am finding it to be very enjoyable. It continues the bleak world view that the original series created so well. Many people complained about the animation in the new release, but I find it to be more than acceptable. I'm mainly grateful that they didn't subdue the violence and blood, as seems to be the case with many modern anime. I'm also very happy to hear that the continuation was approved for 2017.

A quick question- did any fansub group release an uncensored blu-ray version? It seems strange that for something as popular as Berserk, all I can find is the relatively low quality 1080p censored web rips. I was positive this would be a hot item for some of the higher quality sub groups.

• 3 weeks later...

The Blu-ray version will eventually be released by someone I'm sure of that. I'm hoping they'll get the original cast back for the dub (like they did for the movies). I loved the original like you. Although, I'm not a huge fan of the 2016/2017 adaption. I'm curious have you've read the manga? Maybe that's the causing the opposing views by many fans. I've read the manga so that's influencing my opinion of the show. Even though the 1997 anime didn't have much of a budget it made up for it through it's direction/characterization. I didn't feel that with new anime.

Joining Tang in the English Dub is Sarah Williams as Puck, Karen Strassman as Casca, Erica Lindbeck as Farnese and the following voice actors:

Griffith - Steve Cannon
Serpico - Max Mittelman
Isidro - Erik Scott Kimerer
Adolf - Doug Stone
Rickert - Erica Mendez
Collette - G.K. Bowes
Narrator - Jake Eberle
Godo - Abbot Kefford
Judeau - Kyle McCarley
Schierke - Mela Lee
Mozgus - Ray Chase
Luca - Wendee Lee