Berserk (2016)

Koby

TjbDXxa.jpg

MAL

Synopsis: Guts, known as the Black Swordsman, seeks sanctuary from the demonic forces that pursue him and his woman, and also vengeance against the man who branded him as an unholy sacrifice. Aided only by his titanic strength, skill, and sword, Guts must struggle against his bleak destiny, all the while fighting with a rage that might strip him of his humanity. Berserk is a dark and brooding story of outrageous swordplay and ominous fate, in the theme of Shakespeare's Macbeth.

This show is only one episode in and already getting lots of hate from the anime fanbase for it's choppy low framerate half finished CG animation... but honestly while that isn't good, the story is well enough that the animation didn't affect my opinion of the show to any degree big enough for me to not want to continue watching it. I've seen worse. This is Berserk, one of the biggest manga series in existence so I'm sure they know it'll be watched regardless.

• Like 2

Just now, JG1983 said:

Guys where is this series placed in terms of continuity ?

After the Golden Age arc or the main series ?

The original series and the Golden Age movies both retold the Golden Age arc. Although the original series episode 1 did feature some stuff from later before jumping back to the Golden Age. Anyhow officially the new series is said to be a sequel to the movie trilogy version.

3 hours ago, JG1983 said:

Truth is I haven't seen the series only the Golden Age arc so

thanks for the info and the quick reply...Gonna give this a shot.

You'll be confused. Honestly speaking here of someone who just recently who caught up with the manga a few months ago. I'd suggest reading the manga while watching it, at least.

4 hours ago, testing123 said:

You'll be confused. Honestly speaking here of someone who just recently who caught up with the manga a few months ago. I'd suggest reading the manga while watching it, at least.

I didn't read the manga, and I'm certainly not confused. It's fine.

I'm still enjoying this show just as much as I figured I would. It's Berserk, the story is awesome, and the mediocre to poor CG isn't bothering me. In fact at times I think it really fits and I'm not sure how else they could have animated it without going back to hand-drawn animation that would have fit the story as well as this. The cell-shaded-like animation seems to flow nicely with the CG for the most part... I just feel it could have been polished off more as it feels unfinished at times and I hope this is something they work on for improving with the BD release. I also hope they add nipples and more blood & gore to the Blu-rays. I knew going in that a Broadcast release of this would of course be watered-down a bit for television...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gilli said:

totallly reackon Berserk  was  inspiiration behind dark souls spirutally or literally 

I would not be surprised if a few game artists thought it would be cool to reference Berserk in Dark Souls, but a lot of the references fans have pointed out are a real stretch.

Episode 3 was probably the longest time nipple-less boobs stayed on screen out of any anime.

Oh my gawd that horse. That was just.... :oh:

Berserk sure does come with some sadistic ass creepers.

Anyone who read the manga... does it skip around as much as this adaption seems to be doing? Kind of looked like we'd be jumping ahead a bit next episode.

• 2 weeks later...

Episodes 4-5 were so sick!! The violence and the deaths are becoming more gruesome by the minute. Guts' determination to find the crazy Casca is a really decent change to his character development. I get this weird vibe that something terrible and dangerous is befalling on them, but can't figure out why. Also, why is that all the religious organizations on anime turns out evil and cruel? Can't wait for Guts to take Isidoro as his student (although, I don't see it coming) and start slicing up the Mozgus group in the next episode(s).

NOTE: Since Hangeki seems to have dropped the series (hopefully that won't be the case, but more than likely it is) I will be going on with HS releases now.

Edited by Imagine Breaker

I wish people would stop spamming all over the internet about how much this sucks because they hate the art. Sure it's not the best animation in the world, but it's certainly not the worst. The story more than makes up for it, and we've heard it enough that we don't need it repeated every week.

I didn't read the manga, so IDK if it jumps around as much as this anime, but I feel like it's jumping around quite a bit, like they're possibly skipping things to speed progression along or something.

Since I'm a Berserk fan, I really want to give this a try. Its received a lot of hate on the internet, mostly because of animation, so it's difficult to judge how good it is. Also, I kinda avoided reading everyone's comments so I don't get spoiled xD. Anyway, would you guys recommend? I can deal with poor/dodgy art, I'm more concerned with whether it lives up to the Berserk name in terms of storytelling.