Tor and new laws

rand

http://themerkle.com/fbi-can-obtain-a-warrant-if-you-run-tor-come-december/

Just a heads up because it seems this story is not getting any media attention if you run tor and live in the usa expect the feds to be at your door if they think your up to no good.....

So why is this happening?  The fbi has been using xss attacks on tor websites for years now and the total invested amount for those attacks are huge were talking millions of dollars and the use of universities to help make a temporary exploit in tor also the fbi cannot break into tor because the system works.  So if your connection is encrypted or running tor "your up to something" and that is enough for a search warrant because this is a last ditch approach because the tor system is too strong.  In a few countries encryption over the internet is banned because the proper implementation of strong encryption (aes-256/rsa/pgp) is almost bulletproof, and that is one thing in this entire world you can rely on.  This brings me back to the frog in the pan with water with low heat.  Our freedoms will be slowly stripped and one day people would not remember a time when it was any different.  I can bet my balls they are doing this not only to catch online crime aka the use of darknets and tor network for illegal purposes like drugs but in the name of anti-terror and its going to get a shit ton of funding and not make the news.  The attack is really focusing on encryption and the "*going dark problem".  Who knows at this point what is there next move, like making full disk aes encryption illegal or mandatory backdoors of encryption keys.  Windows already has those backdoors built in and some encryption vendors were asked to quietly "break your code in this way" to give the false illusion of security and to allow immediate access to information protected via encryption - fbi's iphone break in even when they had the means it was a ploy to try and change the laws to allow easer access to encrypted data.

*going dark - is a law enforcement term used to describe the massive inability to intercept in real time communications and decrypt data to allow remote monitoring of computers and internet connections due to the use of encryption.

Edited by rand
header typo/ syntax errors

Hate that few people give a damn about this kind of thing. When apple mentioned the fbi wanted backdoors in iphones there were tons of comments on many articles. Now that they believe the threat is gone they aren't paying attention anymore again. The only person fighting the rule 41 changes is Ron Wyden (and EFF I guess but they have few minor victories) which isn't enough. Hell even if he did manage to get congress to deal with rule 41 before December 1st they probably would approve it instead.

I've only used tor once (offline to see what it looks like) since I have no need for any of that dark web stuff. With the govt attacking privacy in many different ways this year my "gray" streaming days are numbered, I'm not a tech expert nor do I have the cash to spare for a vpn. Future dmca reform, tpp and its brothers, the fbi changing their NSL rules to include our browser history and this. The only people who will continue to use the net like nothing changed are the experts.

Fuck 2016.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the case of XSS attacks, it's direct malicious code injection and that opens up an interesting legal loophole.
Your computer has been attacked and files have been injected.

This is a federal crime (same as a virus maker) that can pop up the Exclusionary rule which is constitutional law.

But this also directly challenges the fourth amendment under :

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

It states that probable cause is NOT enough for a warrant, unless it has a description of exactly what is expected to be found and where.

Illegally obtained evidence is referred to as "evidence acquired by violating a person's constitutional protection against illegal searches and seizures; evidence obtained without a warrant or probable cause"

In this case, probable cause is a completely unknown and because the security of the hard drive has already been compromised, no files can be proven to belong to the user, nor can they be disproved as a plant.

TLDR> bill of rights says no.

• Like 1