Notification Pop-up Closes automatically

ani-me

This happens only when there are unread notifications. You click on the notification icon on the top, scroll through the list and in a few seconds, bam, it "closes" without any warning. This has been happening for quite some time now, probably more than 15 days.

From "closing", i mean, the list becomes empty or something, I don't remember exactly. I'll try and remember to get a screenshot the next time this happens.

It is annoying since you lose track of the notifications, and of course all the unread notifications are now marked read and that is another problem.

I am not sure if it is restricted to some specific settings or anything, since apparently no one else has reported it.

This is my config/setting here, might help reproduce the bug,

Browser: Chrome

Kametsu Theme: Default/Brave

Apologizes if already reported but I couldn't find one.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Chrome has always been buggy with IPS. The last several IPS releases have each had bug fixes specifically for things only broken in Chrome. I believe this is another thing that is likely Chrome specific related as well and likely the reason it hasn't been reported or fixed. Or since you're saying it's only started recently, it could be something new that was broken in the latest IPS release that may be fixed in the next one. Either way it's something that will have to be fixed by IPS and out of my hands. Maybe it's because I never have a lot of notifications since I check regularly through the day or maybe because I use FireFox, but I haven't experienced this issue. If anyone not using Chrome has experienced it, please speak up!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Smileyyakadoo said:

Maybe its windows 10 related, anyone have issues in other windows? I'm OSX and use Safari and Chrome, no problems in chrome I've seen.

Could be. I'll try and check it out on some other browser if I get the time, and have notifications at the moment.

Just tested it on Firefox on windows 10, and it still happens, though it took slightly longer than chrome, so e problem is not exclusive to chrome. Also, not related to windows as per..

12 hours ago, Darkshadow6400 said:

It's not Windows 10. Happens to me on Chrome for Android.

I believe that then it could be the theme that is to blame here. Has anyone tried it on a different theme yet? I have tried only the default "Brave" theme.

I have:

Windows 10 64bit

Latest Chrome

Brave Theme 

No problem, I can open the notification tab, scroll the complete list, can even scroll the whole thread and go back to top & it's still open. Do you have any add-ons? I only have adblock & Logitech smoothscroll

9 hours ago, Vaux said:

I have:

Windows 10 64bit

Latest Chrome

Brave Theme 

No problem, I can open the notification tab, scroll the complete list, can even scroll the whole thread and go back to top & it's still open. Do you have any add-ons? I only have adblock & Logitech smoothscroll

I don't have any extensions in Firefox, and the ones in Chrome shouldn't effect it, so I don't really think that could be the issue. Also, this does not happens each and every time, more like 8 out if 10. Also, sometimes it takes a few seconds. Could you please try it again sometime?

11 hours ago, JohnFlower said:

Firefox follows Chromium's lead in terms of development these days.

Once again, test Chrome's dev builds.

I am sorry but i don't get your point. Besides, this probably has to do with the event system, which are pretty different in both browsers.

12 hours ago, JohnFlower said:

Firefox follows Chromium's lead in terms of development these days.

Once again, test Chrome's dev builds.

In this context it wouldn't matter if it worked in the dev build if it's still broken in the main release. Sure the dev build will eventually replace it, but the vast majority of Chrome users can't be expected to use dev builds regularly.

I doubt it's forum theme specific as I wouldn't see any reason Ehren would have done anything to the notification area outside of some CSS styling modifications. Though I suppose an issue with CSS could be the culprit, but it's kind of unlikely. Most of our themes are by him though. So anyone having this issue, if you could confirm if the issue exists on IPS Default or Asphyxia then we could rule it out.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ani-me said:

I am sorry but i don't get your point. Besides, this probably has to do with the event system, which are pretty different in both browsers.

Events? No. Did you even try Chrome dev?

22 hours ago, Koby said:

In this context it wouldn't matter if it worked in the dev build if it's still broken in the main release. Sure the dev build will eventually replace it, but the vast majority of Chrome users can't be expected to use dev builds regularly.

Who cares what the majority use. If it isn't working in stable (read: stale) versions, you test other versions. In this case, I'm recommending Chrome Canary for the simple fact that 'it werks 8 me' in the latest Chromium builds.

If it works in an up-to-date version, then you go back and figure out what's changed. It's a simple process of elimination.

If it doesn't work, then you try more browsers. Try a browser less dependent on Chrome, like Internet Explorer or Edge.

22 hours ago, Koby said:

I doubt it's forum theme specific as I wouldn't see any reason Ehren would have done anything to the notification area outside of some CSS styling modifications. Though I suppose an issue with CSS could be the culprit, but it's kind of unlikely. Most of our themes are by him though. So anyone having this issue, if you could confirm if the issue exists on IPS Default or Asphyxia then we could rule it out.

A simple test for this case is for the user to set their theme to 'IPS Default'. I thought this had already been done though..?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...