Big Hero 6: The Series (Sequel to movie) -- Coming to Disney XD in 2017

Koby

Big Hero 6, the hit Walt Disney Animation Studios film based on characters and concepts from Marvel Comics is getting a sequel - but instead of a film, it will come to Disney xD as a series. The show will debut in 2017 and is in production now.

The follow-up to the Academy Award-winning feature film inspired by the comic book characters created by Man of Action's Steven T. Seagle and Duncan Rouleau will be spear-headed for Disney Television Animation by executive producers Mark McCorkle and Bob Schooley, the creators and showrunners of Kim Possible. They're joined by fellow Kim Possible alum Nick Filippi, who will also serve as an executive producer and supervising director.

Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer of Disney Channels Worldwide announced the series as part of the Kids Upfront for 2016, one of 17 new series planned for debut across Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney XD.

"Our colleagues at Walt Disney Animation Studios have created a brilliant new world, inspired by Marvel, with vivid, unique characters," Marsh said in a statement provided to ComicBook.com. "We are thrilled to have the opportunity to further develop these characters into a world class animated series – full of fun, action and the kind of endearing storytelling that only Mark, Bob – and Baymax – can deliver."

The series will start immediately following the events of the feature film, and is a direct sequel to the events there. The continuing adventures of Hiro and Baymax, his robot pal, are once again joined by Wasabi, Honey lemon, Fred, and GoGo Tomago. Now established as a team, Big Hero 6 protect the city of San Fransokyo from high-tech villains while Hiro faces the unique challenges as a scientific prodigy at San Fransokyo Institute of Technology.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I Absolutely love the movie, I just hope it to be 3D animated (like in the movie). Hopefully it will be better than the "Mr Peabody and Sherman Show" from Dreamworks to netflix, I hated the animation but the movie was good.

But I'm really looking forward to watch it.

Edited by TadeuGT

The movie had that "animated series" vibe from the start, makes me wonder if we are returning to the late 80's-90's where most of the big animated movies had their own spinoff series (The Jungle Book - The Jungle Cubs/Tail Spin, The Lion King - Timon and Pumbaa, Aladdin animated series just to name a few). Then saying that, getting a spin off has always been a thing for the larger successful movies, not always turned into an animated series but to poop out one or two straight to VHS/DVD/TV movies.

If they can make money on it, they'll milk it for all its worth. Lets hope the series doesn't taint the movie.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...