TV Anime 'Gundam Unicorn RE:0096' Airs in Spring 2016

Koby

ofhKmwJ.jpgA television broadcast of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn was announced on Sunday on the official website. The seven-episode OVA series, originally released between 2010 and 2014, will be re-edited to fit into the new broadcast format under the title Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096.

The TV series will begin on April 3, 2016, and air on Sundays at 7:00 a.m. on TV Asahi and other networks. New opening and ending segments will be produced for the series with theme songs produced by Hiroyuki Sawano.

Tielle, a vocalist who was selected by Sawano in an audition in 2015, will perform the opening song "Into the Sky." Singer-songwriter naNami will perform the main ending song "Next 2 U-eUC-," while the second ending theme song "bL∞dy f8 -eUC-" will feature Aimer as a guest vocalist. The theme songs will be released on CD on June 29.

Gundam Unicorn adapts the light novel series by Harutoshi Fukui and Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. Six episodes of the OVA series were originally planned for production, but a seventh episode was later added.

Producers have cited the popularity of the series among viewers in their 30s and 40s. Each episode has also placed highly in sales rankings after release, and the final episode placed second in the yearly Blu-ray rankings of 2014.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warlord8 said:

Guess they want to milk Unicorn for all its worth. Personally, the OVAs were flashy, but I think they didn't add much to the UC timeline (neither did Victory - really disliked this one). Although, it was nice to get some canon closure on the fates of Char and Amuro. 

Yeah I'm going to pass on this myself. No point in watching the exact same content in a different format. It doesn't mention anything about new scenes being added or anything. It's just going to be the 7 OVA's cut to form a TV series of unknown length. They'd have to make it about 18 episodes to not cut anything out, and that's kind of a weird number count being the length of one and a half cours. I figure it'd probably be cut down to fit a 12 or 13 episode series. Which would be even more incentive not to watch it; and I don't foresee them adding 6-7 episodes worth of new material to fill out a two cour series. After all it does say the OVA's are being 're-edited' rather than 're-animated' which suggests they're just copy and pasting.

• Like 1