New 'D.Gray-man' Animated Series Announced For 2016

Koby

yKOQ9XF.jpgIt was revealed at the Jump Festa event that D.Gray-Man will be getting a new animated series for 2016. The announcement also revealed two of the main voice cast, a promotional video, and key visual. A new official website was also launched.

The manga series is drawn by Katsura Hoshino and was originally serialized in Shounen Jump between May 2004 and April 2009. It was moved to Jump SQ from November 4, 2009 after the author received a hand injury and continued irregularly. The serialization has recently returned to Jump SQ.Crown Q.1. It currently has 24 volumes and previously received a TV anime adaptation that ran from October 3, 2006 to September 30, 2008 for a total of 103 episodes.

Synopsis
Toward the end of the 19th century, Allen Walker officially joins the organization of Exorcists that destroys the beings known as Akuma—mechanic weapons made by the Millennium Earl with the suffering souls of the dead. Allen has both a cursed eye and an anti-Akuma weapon as an arm, bearing the power of "Innocence," a gift given to him as an apostle of God. Allen, along with his fellow Exorcists, must put a stop to the Millennium Earl's ultimate plot that could lead to the destruction of the world and all who live on it.

PV

• Like 3

8 hours ago, neodeathgod said:

This is good news as i followed the old anime and even bought the US import DVD's of it even though only half was released. I think its still a bit early as the manga only comes out every 3 months so i don't know how long its going to be.

There is enough material for about 3 cours (36 episodes), maybe a little more... but yeah it's a very slow released manga and is often on hiatus due to the mangaka's issues.

I kind of hope that the mangaka will realize that she needs to head the series into some kind of closure and get to it; but it certainly can't be the case of the manga ending before this anime catches up, because that's impossible at the rate of manga release.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Imagine Breaker said:

Do we have any info on whether it will be a reboot or a continuation of the first series or an original anime series irrelevant to the manga plot?

The preview seems to suggest a continuation, but the way some of the announcement was worded and the issue of the voice cast only having two people listed both of which being new (Allen is being voiced by a new person), seems to suggest it's likely a reboot. So at this point it could go just about in any direction; but I doubt it's going down the path of anime-original content.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2015 at 5:17 PM, Koby said:

The preview seems to suggest a continuation, but the way some of the announcement was worded and the issue of the voice cast only having two people listed both of which being new (Allen is being voiced by a new person), seems to suggest it's likely a reboot. So at this point it could go just about in any direction; but I doubt it's going down the path of anime-original content.

I think I read somewhere that it will start at the Alma arc, so it's a continuation in that regard. But I'm not sure how much of the old cast & crew is going to work on it, so it could be like a reboot on that front.

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Vaux said:

Wow this is a surprise, if its a continuation is gonna be pretty bad for the western viewers since they dropped the dub 50 episodes short. I sort of hope it's like what Brotherhood was for FMA

It seems to be a continuation as all their PVs have only shown new material; however pretty much the entire voice cast has been changed. I guess they couldn't get the old cast back or just didn't want to.

As for the dub; it was canceled due to poor sales and the Japanese company wanting more money than it was worth for the rest of the license as a result. Seeing as sales being low was a big factor in it; I doubt we'll see anymore of the series dubbed, even with this new series.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Koby said:

It seems to be a continuation as all their PVs have only shown new material; however pretty much the entire voice cast has been changed. I guess they couldn't get the old cast back or just didn't want to.

As for the dub; it was canceled due to poor sales and the Japanese company wanting more money than it was worth for the rest of the license as a result. Seeing as sales being low was a big factor in it; I doubt we'll see anymore of the series dubbed, even with this new series.

Yeah I'd heard it was pretty lackluster and that it was canned indefinatly, did it even get a Bluray re-release?

I'd hope they might give it a chance with the new series depending on how it goes in Japan, I think they've dubbed worse ^_^

Just now, Vaux said:

Yeah I'd heard it was pretty lackluster and that it was canned indefinatly, did it even get a Bluray re-release?

I'd hope they might give it a chance with the new series depending on how it goes in Japan, I think they've dubbed worse ^_^

In Japan it's DVD only. In the US, FUNimation released a DVD-Upscaled BD for episodes 1-13 but discontinued it there due to again, poor sales.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...