Marathon One or Multiple Series Simultaneously?

warlord8

When you watch anime: Do you watch one series at a time? Or do you like to mix it up, and watch two or more series together? Why?

Personally, I like to watch one series at a time. I can't pin it on any particular reason other than that its a habit. I have a linear approach with many things. The downside to watching one show at a time is that I find it rather hard to complete the show if the story is dry or progressing very slowly. For example, I was watching Ah My Goddess S1 but recently dropped it...

I don't really approach this the same way at all times. It really just depends on how much time I have and how much I'm really into a show. If I find I keep putting it in the background or pausing it to do something else then I'm probably not that into it and will probably take breaks to watch other shows in between. Also even while watching something I tend to keep up with my current airing shows as more priority so if I have new episodes to watch I'll watch them before going back to my backlog shows. However if I'm really enthralled with a show, I'll probably watch it all the way through as quickly as possible with less interruptions. Though it's rare for a show to meet that kind of expectations. It's something that only seems to happen in a blue moon anymore as the quality level of anime has drastically been declining and the more anime I watch, the less unique future anime seem. There really isn't that much 'original' stories anymore. It's mostly the same concepts used over and over with different characters to make it feel different.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, warriorpirate said:

Yeah, I'm the same.

And a lot of times I put the ongoing anime on hold while watching a series (especially if it's interesting). ^_^

Right on, man!

1 hour ago, Koby said:

.. Also even while watching something I tend to keep up with my current airing shows as more priority so if I have new episodes to watch I'll watch them before going back to my backlog shows...

As much as I would like to, I almost never watch any airing anime. I go for my backlog first cause of the storage issue lol, and I like to wait and see what people have to recommend for the season. Personally, I think its worth the wait because the anime will most likely be on bluray by the time I get to it. I only watched airing anime for Summer 2013 and Summer 2014, and it was a lot of fun. There was always something exciting to look forward to each week.

13 minutes ago, warlord8 said:

Right on, man!

As much as I would like to, I almost never watch any airing anime. I go for my backlog first cause of the storage issue lol, and I like to wait and see what people have to recommend for the season. Personally, I think its worth the wait because the anime will most likely be on bluray by the time I get to it. I only watched airing anime for Summer 2013 and Summer 2014, and it was a lot of fun. There was always something exciting to look forward to each week.

I rarely listen to people's opinions on what is best or recommended because it's usually slice of life, ecchi, romance, comedies that take that spot, and I tend to avoid all of those categories. Luckily the tastes of majority of users here at Kametsu are similar to my own, in that the Anime of the Season polls we've been doing have mostly aligned with my own opinion.

As for what to pick up each season, I read the synopsis, check out the key artworks, and watch the previews. I'll occasionally read through some season previews like at Random Curiousity just to get a feel of what others may think or to read further into the studios and people behind the show. I'll then have some shows I know I'm definitely going to like and some that are on the borderline that I'll opt to watch 1-3 episodes of before making a full decision to either drop it or continue it further. Like this last season, I picked up about 9 shows and I ended up dropping 3 of them within the first two weeks.

On the basis of waiting for the Blu-rays; most shows aren't going to have much differences besides uncensoring or just slightly uncensoring some of the ecchi scenes; or re-coloring blood back to red in the gore shows. I don't really pick up too much that fall under the ecchi category these days, but for the gore aspect I have occasionally held off on watching the TV release so I could see it on Blu-ray. However shows like Fairy Tail for example have no differences on the Blu-ray and in terms of actual quality the BD isn't any higher quality than the HDTV in most episodes; so it's pointless for me to wait a year+ for them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Koby said:

As for what to pick up each season, I read the synopsis, check out the key artworks, and watch the previews. I'll occasionally read through some season previews like at Random Curiousity just to get a feel of what others may think or to read further into the studios and people behind the show. I'll then have some shows I know I'm definitely going to like and some that are on the borderline that I'll opt to watch 1-3 episodes of before making a full decision to either drop it or continue it further. Like this last season, I picked up about 9 shows and I ended up dropping 3 of them within the first two weeks.

Yeah... I do the same.... I'm usually able to guess if I wanna keep on watching an anime after watching 2 or 3 episodes. There have been a few ongoing anime that made me stop in the middle of a series cuz I'd be too excited to watch the next episode. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up like 20 and so series and started watching them all in parallel at the same time.

I regret that decision every time I have a difficulty remembering specific plot points in a series, especially with the limited time I have (granted I started it in the Summer). I like to finish what I start, so I'll have to wait until some of them are completed before the amount is reduced. Probably to a number not greater than 6.

Edited by McBox
Avoiding repeated words.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually watch one series at a time, It's the only way I know, get the current one done and then move to the next one....Maybe occasionally I mix them up bc I dunno..just for fun...When I used to watched them on TV I was forced to watch them mixed-up bc they were airing several shows at a time and TV was the only way to follow the respective series....

I go back and forth with anime, I've dropped a few and I have others on hold to watch later.   I usually don't like to watch more than one episode unless I'm really into it, and that goes for everything I watch really.  The only anime that kept my attention and was able to sit through multiple episodes in a row were Fate Zero and Attack on Titan and the currently ongoing One Piece.  I don't have cable or dish so my only way of watching is on my computer and have bought a few series on blu ray to watch on my TV as well.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Depends. I very much like to marathon series' if I think they were be dramatic or story driven. If it's an airing anime I usually wait until it's finished.

Though, if it's just a comedy series or slice of life, I'm fine with watching one episode here and there.

When I watch anime, it is when I have the appropriate time to sit and enjoy it. I tend to prefer mini series because the are usually 12-26 episode long and when I take off I can watch it . I prefer watching only one at a time because it lets me get a feel for the characters, their personalities and emotions. With so many anime being similar it lets me be more in the "Zone" for those specific characters and not mix them up with others. For longer anime, I would stick to series plots and if I stop it would be at a good stopping point where there is a good ending where I can pick it up again and not have to check back to see what subtleties I have missed. I like to try and guess and figure out where they are going to take it before it happens. The one thing I don't watch is currently airing, since I don't have the channels, I like to have something that is finished so I don't get left hanging on a cliff hanger, something you know they do just to piss you off, lol.

I have in the past watched a variety of genres,  but I will stop watching if the main characters go way off base in a direction that I no longer find interesting or if they get too 'annoying' when they do that it can ruin the experience. The one thing I prefer for anything I watch is a good ending, I don't like it when they drag it on and the the ending is anticlimactic and just doesn't make sense.  

Prefer quality over quantity.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I usually only stick to one or two series at a time because I find if I start watching too many at once, one show falls to the wayside. Though if I'm watching a longer show I'll often break it up by taking little breaks to watch other stuff after the end of a story arc or when my attention starts to wander.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...