Anime series that ended but never finished telling it's story

Oblivia

There should be some more Black Lagoon happening at some point, I've read that the writer is doing more.

I'm surprised Air Gear's sequel didn't get further then about 2 episodes in before getting cancelled, with the first season having 50+ eps you'd think it was doing well.

Does never finished count if a series wasn't finished being dubbed? D. Gray-Man would be my suggestion if it does

4 minutes ago, Vaux said:

There should be some more Black Lagoon happening at some point, I've read that the writer is doing more.

I'm surprised Air Gear's sequel didn't get further then about 2 episodes in before getting cancelled, with the first season having 50+ eps you'd think it was doing well.

Does never finished count if a series wasn't finished being dubbed? D. Gray-Man would be my suggestion if it does

I don't know where you get your numbers.... but

Air Gear only has 26 episodes (one of which being a special) plus a 3 episode OVA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rinscewind said:

Trigun anime was not in line with the manga? I don't read much manga, but sometimes the changes aren't that great when adapting it to anime.

What are the major differences in the ending - I mean, is Trigun a totally new story (like the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime as compared to Brotherhood being in line with the original storyline) with most of the overtones being the same, or does it follow the manga until a certain point then deviate? And if the latter, then can the difference be summed up readily?

Your response just piquied my interest. Thanks.

The Trigun anime is very similar to the first FMA anime, in the sense they only were able to adapt a small portion of the manga, and then they had to create a whole new arc and ending.

In fact, the manga of Trigun is very long. It didn't end until 2007, and the anime was produced in 1998

• 3 weeks later...

If we were to really list all the animes, even just the popular ones, I guess this will be one heck of an list.

I have't read other comments, so not sure if someone has already mentioned these, but nonetheless my two cents, in alphabetic order:

• Accel World
  • Air Gear
  • Baka and Test (it feels incomplete to me, though not sure if it actually is)
  • Blood Lad
  • Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan
  • Blue Exorcist (but the anime ended at a good point though)
  • CANNAN
  • A Certain......Series (I have heard of no further plans for continuing the series, and not does it seem so)
  • Code:Breaker
  • D-Frag (again, not sure though)
  • Deadman Wonderland (probably, most disappointing of all)
  • Devil is a Part-timer
  • Elfen Lied (Just WHY??)
  • Flames of Recca
  • Future Diary | Mirai Nikki (though there exist an OVA that skips everything and directly shows the end, but what use it that?)
  • Ga-Rei-Zero (don't remember properly, saw long time ago)
  • getbackers (not sure, but feels so)
  • Golden Boy (again, feels so but not sure)
  • Hellsing Ultimate (well, actually afaik, it is complete, but wanted more)
  • Hnter x Hunter (older one, haven't got the chance to see the 2011 version yet)
  • Kenishi: The Mightiest Disciple
  • Nura Series
  • Samurai Champloo (not sure, but might be)
  • School Rumble (again, there is an OVA the skip everything and directly shows the end, but that is no good)
  • Soul Eater (anime ended at a good point, feels almost complete, but is not, and should be continued)
  • Suzuka
  • Tenjho Tenge
  • Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles Sereis
  • Tsukihime | Lunar Legend Tsukihime
  • WATAMOTE (not sure, but seems so)
  • Wolf's Rain (maybe, not sure if it is, saw a long time ago)
  • xxxHOLIC

If I happen to find more, I'll try and remember to report them here.

Anyways, great idea, and hopefully when it grows huge it might help people like me, who hate in complete stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one who was upset at the cancellation of Kampfer? Maybe I'm just weird, but I really liked that show. Also previously mentioned, Deadman Wonderland bombing made me sad. And the long delay, I guess, of Highschool of the Dead S2. Also, not so much unfinished as the story was screwed up in season 2, Rosario Vampire done the way the manga was would have been much better.

Spice and Wolf and Accel World are two of my favourite anime and never got a follow through, despite there being content.

Well for Accel World there is still hope I guess, but the Spice and Wolf light novels have been finished for some time already, and the last anime came out in 2009...

Maybe Mirai nikki too, I don't really remember much of how it ends other than it's completely crazy (no spoilers please), gotta rewatch it some time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably moreso my own personal opinion but I would have liked to see more Ed and Al adventures after what happened in Conqueror of Shamballa (sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who likes how FMA 2003 ended...), though the series does end on a relatively good point.

I'd love to see more Flame of Recca, especially because of the hilarious way they wrapped up loose ends at the end of the anime.

Hoping for more Black Lagoon to come along soon, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The anime that I would really love to see continued is Kekkaishi

Out of 35 complete manga volumes only about 13 were animated.

I realize that it's nearly impossible, but if continuation/reboot will happen one day, I will be the happiest anime fun alive!

Also Rave Master was mentioned already

• Koby changed the title to Anime series that ended but never finished telling it's story