Heavy Object

Koby

Heavy Object
Yb6LyE9.jpg
MAL

Synopsis: Qwenthur came to the Alaskan military base to study Objects, the new weapons that have completely revolutionized war as we know it—battles are fought by soldiers controlling Objects far away from harm; however, when he starts to get close to Object pilot Milinda, will he discover the grim truth behind Heavy Objects?

From the creator who brought you A Certain Magical Index & A Certain Scientific Railgun....

PV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZDDuFj_qmg

483t3fI.jpg

• Like 4

Sounds....Different.

I will at least check it out.

It's basically a mecha show where the pilots aren't actually in the mecha at all from the sounds of it. The only real draw of the show is that it was created by the same guy who created Index and Railgun. Judging from the first episode via FUNi-stream; the art and animation is pretty low-key, which is a bit disappointing. I hope this show manages to surprise us though and actually be worthwhile. Most of the people who read the source material seem to think the anime will be good.

• Like 2

The first episode seemed to be more of an introductory episode.  We got to see the MC, the pilot of the Object and the MC's hot looking Commanding officer.

The art is a bit low key, but it does not bother me much, since I am more for content usually.  

Let's see how the anime progresses,

Anime seems to follow novel fairly close, besides that one fanservice scene (which I think was not in the source). First episode is only introduction to characters and setting, which, as I stated previously, is somewhat flawed (IMO).

For me, science in all of Kamachi Kazuma's works seems inconsistent and lacking, so this show is hardly anything new for that matter. Though unlike Index or Railgun, Heavy Object takes place in more serious setting, and these weaknesses can cause more 'damage' to the overall enjoyment.

Anyways, it is hard to judge overall show from just the first episode and I am planning to check some of continuous episodes before making decision, whether to watch the whole thing or not.

Anime seems to follow novel fairly close, besides that one fanservice scene (which I think was not in the source). First episode is only introduction to characters and setting, which, as I stated previously, is somewhat flawed (IMO).

For me, science in all of Kamachi Kazuma's works seems inconsistent and lacking, so this show is hardly anything new for that matter. Though unlike Index or Railgun, Heavy Object takes place in more serious setting, and these weaknesses can cause more 'damage' to the overall enjoyment.

Anyways, it is hard to judge overall show from just the first episode and I am planning to check some of continuous episodes before making decision, whether to watch the whole thing or not.

Stated previously where?

It's pretty normal for first episodes to be an introduction to the show, haha.

I think I'm not alone in hoping that the finale of this show teases Index S3 though and it's very likely to actually happen.

• Like 2

Stated previously where?

At Fall 2015 Anime Season topic. It was one line, but it still counts.

It's pretty normal for first episodes to be an introduction to the show, haha.

It is not always the case for action focused shows and sometimes anime may have 'exclusive' content in first episode to get higher interest in show (FMA:B did this). Using such tactics here is probably not necessary as Heavy Object have a well known author behind it.

I think I'm not alone in hoping that the finale of this show teases Index S3 though and it's very likely to actually happen.

While I finished both Railgun series, I have yet to go through any of Index. Still, based on various news articles and flow of events, it is only natural that there will be Index S3, only question is when.

this first ep was not great but because i like his other work ill keep watching hopefully gets better

Episode 2 was actually fairly decent besides all the plot armor for the MC. Seriously with such a reckless stunt against an enemy with a HO he shouldn't have made it out alive; but you know how it is.

• Like 1

Despite the art, especially the low-grade explosions, looking so terrible; this show is actually really well done. Episode 3 really broadcast this and set this series a part from pretty much the rest of this seasons shows thus far. Really liked the way the MC managed to come up with a way to handle business and take down an HO with a single thought process. Seems a bit far-fetched but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

• Like 3

Despite the art, especially the low-grade explosions, looking so terrible;...

^This. Considering show takes place in setting, where there are, and most likely will be, a lot of explosions, there low quality stands out a lot.

Episode 3 really broadcast this and set this series a part from pretty much the rest of this seasons shows thus far. Really liked the way the MC managed to come up with a way to handle business and take down an HO with a single thought process. Seems a bit far-fetched but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

While episode 3 was clearly the best thus far, I simply can't get past the poor (IMO) setup.

To me, it fails as it tells and does not shows the introduction to Object. The Objects have changed the way war is carried out only because author says so, and without some believable proof of it's "greatness", story looses some of the impact. The strategy employed by the protagonists are neither new or innovative - it is simply not commonly used in the setting because again, author says so.

P.S. I probably sound somewhat bitter, and I am. When I read premise, I expected an interesting ideas (and setup) and even went as far as to start reading the source material. I was disappointed and I am bringing my disappointment to anime as well.

Edited by Hark0n

• 3 weeks later...

Stalled it at episode 3. Really enjoying the show so far. The creator of Raildex really knows what he's doing with his story arcs and their enviromental circumstances. The characters are really adapting to these catastrophic futuristic situations and I like that. Quenther and Havia begin to realize the consequenses and losses of war and they really grow from that. The Princess also starts slowly, but surely to act more of a human being and less as an emotionless robot and I find that developing for her character. What I mean is that this show had a boosting start and it will definitely keep me going for future episodes.

Although, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. Should I watch more episodes in sub or wait for the dub to come in less than a couple weeks? To be honest, I'm leaning more to the latter cause I like FUNI's dub proadcast in general, but I will think about it.

• 3 months later...

So the second cour of the Broadcast (English) Dub has started. The series seems to have remained about the same. It doesn't take itself serious and is more comical than anything else in my opinion.

Heavy Object is about a bunch of mini-arcs with pretty much the same premise, but different settings. Our two main characters are thrown into dangerous situations with pretty much zero chance of survival but they always come out on top and get the mission done. Objects are suppose to be some unbeatable force that took down the governments that we know and can only be taken out by other Objects; yet our main characters manage to continuously take them out anyways. Which apparently has other consequences such as terrorist groups who don't operate Objects now believing they can do the same which is pretty much endangering the world.

It's a decent show and I enjoy it to a certain degree, but I'm certainly not deeply invested in the show. I often find myself pausing it to pay attention to other things.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...