The N199@ word and who should use it

professa X

THE N199@ WORD USGAE  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do y'all agree?

Well yeah, they're always going to be used in any and every context. I'd say most of us are past that era of thinking and getting rid of those word in our vernacular for common use and consumption is avoid using the word, no matter if the word belongs to you. I guess, thinking about it, doing it either way would work to the same effect.

Maybe where you're at but the word faggot is becoming the same way nigger is being used. Around me and online in most place, faggot is not a PC thing to say no matter what. I used to use the word like the way you say it, but now it's frowned upon (because of it's negative connotation with gays). This will probably differ with Euros though. 

I still believe if I said nigga with the 'my nigga' context in front of other black people who do not know me, would get me in some serious shit. Either by their opinion or a serious 'reality check'. Nigger/nigga are interchangeable in this context. I still feel like no matter what word I said, it'd still incite the same reaction.

I understand, and I do sympathize but I would like to bring up context again. If you catch someone saying, "faggot," especially a young person, it is good to educate them and explain, depending on how they're using it is socially harmful, it might even inhibit them from using it, but telling people what to do outright is where I draw the line. It's not okay for a word like that to be used against someone when it does apply to them, but just like anything, we need to analyze (huh huh, "anal") each situation individually. 

And yeah, I wouldn't use a word like that to a stranger either. I also wouldn't say to a woman I just met, "You look so gropable," because although they may possibly be complimented by it, it's certainly not likely.

I'd agree with that, but in certain situations, context does not matter. Someone will take it the wrong way. The english language has SO many words and so many words with different uses meanings and nuanced meanings. Like I said earlier, it would be incredibly easy to replace nigger or faggot given that context. Instead of calling someone a faggot, I'd call them fucking annoying or something else. Instead of calling someone my nigga, I'd rather say 'bro' (it's funny how I used that word ironically and now I can't stop saying it). There's better words for it that don't have that negative connotation and there's no way someone can get offended in that way.

Bear in mind, I'm not really in a position where I use those two words regularly, because you're right; There are other words you can use. But they are citified enough in our English-speaking culture,

I imagine YG wouldn't have had as big of a hit with "My bro, my bro," and I don't see the term "half a fucking annoying person" catching on anytime soon.

But I do respect your point of view and opinions since you've laid them out so articulately.

I don't hear nigga/nigger used very much here, I have one black friend and I hear nigga from him every so often. I can't say I'm a fan. It's not that I'm offended or that I take the offense of someone else. It's just that it comes from such a toxic place and time that it leaves a sour taste. Hearing other, more positive words I think would be beneficial, and we don't have to forget about those toxic words, just avoid their common usage. 

I don't take faggot as offensive or anything, it's just distasteful, y'know.

Eh, I don't really mind. If my nigga my nigga didn't exist, we wouldn't have 50% of those fucking annoying vine videos with the same 'punchline'.

As do yours, simply giving my take on the matter (also a bit of a devil's advocacy cause I'm a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig hypocrite).

Edited by Natalie

I'm simply saying I don't think it's okay to say the words all willy nilly, that's only me. You will never hear me say it in public cause I don't think it's socially acceptable and I don't think it's okay. Like your stance on gays Limit, I really don't care if it's used, but I'm not a fan, I won't support it, and I won't use them in a public setting, ever. Well actually, if I'm talking about the word like this, I will say it.

Yeah I understand. Was just pointing that for certain people not living in the America's, it's not a bad thing (or taboo) to say nigga/nigger because no one is gonna get offended by it.

Personally, I would not say nigger/nigga myself if I were to visit the America's simply because I know that it's taboo there or negatively recieved.

It just depends also on where you are and how that word is recieved.

Well yeah, they're always going to be used in any and every context. I'd say most of us are past that era of thinking and getting rid of those word in our vernacular for common use and consumption is avoid using the word, no matter if the word belongs to you. I guess, thinking about it, doing it either way would work to the same effect.

Maybe where you're at but the word faggot is becoming the same way nigger is being used. Around me and online in most place, faggot is not a PC thing to say no matter what. I used to use the word like the way you say it, but now it's frowned upon (because of it's negative connotation with gays). This will probably differ with Euros though.

I still believe if I said nigga with the 'my nigga' context in front of other black people who do not know me, would get me in some serious shit. Either by their opinion or a serious 'reality check'. Nigger/nigga are interchangeable in this context. I still feel like no matter what word I said, it'd still incite the same reaction.

I understand, and I do sympathize but I would like to bring up context again. If you catch someone saying, "faggot," especially a young person, it is good to educate them and explain, depending on how they're using it is socially harmful, it might even inhibit them from using it, but telling people what to do outright is where I draw the line. It's not okay for a word like that to be used against someone when it does apply to them, but just like anything, we need to analyze (huh huh, "anal") each situation individually.

And yeah, I wouldn't use a word like that to a stranger either. I also wouldn't say to a woman I just met, "You look so gropable," because although they may possibly be complimented by it, it's certainly not likely.

I'd agree with that, but in certain situations, context does not matter. Someone will take it the wrong way. The english language has SO many words and so many words with different uses meanings and nuanced meanings. Like I said earlier, it would be incredibly easy to replace nigger or faggot given that context. Instead of calling someone a faggot, I'd call them fucking annoying or something else. Instead of calling someone my nigga, I'd rather say 'bro' (it's funny how I used that word ironically and now I can't stop saying it). There's better words for it that don't have that negative connotation and there's no way someone can get offended in that way.

Bear in mind, I'm not really in a position where I use those two words regularly, because you're right; There are other words you can use. But they are citified enough in our English-speaking culture,

I imagine YG wouldn't have had as big of a hit with "My bro, my bro," and I don't see the term "half a fucking annoying person" catching on anytime soon.

But I do respect your point of view and opinions since you've laid them out so articulately.

I fucking hit the like button with the YG reference!

Yea...like I said earlier you can't use nigga with someone you don't know. Cuz u didnt earn the right to call them that.

I mean, if I say my white friend is someone I would take a bullet for, why, in good fucks name, would I get pissed at him for calling me nigga. I just finished making him my sworn brother and now I'm bitchin about the word nigga. They, my friends, is what we call a two face.

In short Natalie don't go calling people you don't know, nigga cuz u didnt earn the right to that term of endearment. And of course today the word friend is so loosly used its hard to say "I just called my friend nigga and (S)he flipped his shit on me" and be sympathetic.

End rant

Edited by professa X

• 2 weeks later...

In short Natalie don't go calling people you don't know, nigga cuz u didnt earn the right to that term of endearment. And of course today the word friend is so loosly used its hard to say "I just called my friend nigga and (S)he flipped his shit on me" and be sympathetic.

Just to nitpick, reread my post. I never said directly calling someone a nigger, just saying nigger in public would get me in trouble, no matter the context.

• Like 1

Just to nitpick, reread my post. I never said directly calling someone a nigger, just saying nigger in public would get me in trouble, no matter the context.

I never said, you never said. Not with that being said, u r still beautiful!

I'm African-American in other words ''Black-American'' the word nigga is being used so many times in music,movies, video games, and other forms in for years. The use of word nigga can be use in many ways in how you based it from. Mostly the older generation hear the word ''nigger'' in since slavery was prominent in the late 19th century towards the half in the 20th century. I use the word nigga all the time whenever I'm saying in general but I don't use the word all the time when I'm working or around other people because I don't know when they react. People is all different shapes and sizes and color from racial backgrounds use the word besides blacks and whites.

• Like 2

I'm African-American in other words ''Black-American'' the word nigga is being used so many times in music,movies, video games, and other forms in for years. The use of word nigga can be use in many ways in how you based it from. Mostly the older generation hear the word ''nigger'' in since slavery was prominent in the late 19th century towards the half in the 20th century. I use the word nigga all the time whenever I'm saying in general but I don't use the word all the time when I'm working or around other people because I don't know when they react. People is all different shapes and sizes and color from racial backgrounds use the word besides blacks and whites.

Was wondering when u would comment. Thank you.

>_> then why mention it?

FLATTERY GETS YOU NO WHERE BUT THANK YOU.

• Like 1

>_> then why mention it?

FLATTERY GETS YOU NO WHERE BUT THANK YOU.

Mention wat? How beautiful u r?