Anime Archiving: 1080p or 720p

Vash1306

139 members have voted

1. 1. Anime Archiving: 1080p or 720p

• 1080p
    • 720p
    • Depends on the Series
    • 480p

If the anime had a high budget or the animation & art had a wow factor; then 1080p. Otherwise it's 720p for me. As stated previously by others, 1080p anime is more often than not nothing more than a placebo upscale bloat.

A lot of BDs were done from SD masters and 576p was pushing the limits of quality versus placebo.

• Like 1

If the anime had a high budget or the animation & art had a wow factor; then 1080p. Otherwise it's 720p for me. As stated previously by others, 1080p anime is more often than not nothing more than a placebo upscale bloat.

A lot of BDs were done from SD masters and 576p was pushing the limits of quality versus placebo.

yet, you released a 1080p version of Soul Eater Not?

yet, you released a 1080p version of Soul Eater Not?

Because I felt for a show like that we should give downloaders a choice, especially since there are users who eat up anything 1080p regardless of merit and regardless if a 720p release was better. Plus while SEN! may not have a high budget or wow-factor animation; it is a spin-off of a show that did and the original Soul Eater has easily earned a spot in my top 20 favorites of all time. Then there was the case of the difference in file size only being about 50% less (500 mb vs. 1gb) compared to some shows who have like 500 mb 720p and 3 gb 1080p.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Used to be a fan of 720p when I first started collecting--it seemed like a decent enough balance between quality and size. Now though, almost entirely 1080p if I can find it--the quality difference is usually sufficient enough to more than justify the larger storage requirements (usually better audio encoding at this level, as well), and large hard drives are easy to obtain.

The major exception would be older sets that have been re-released on BD, sometimes the upscaling effects are mitigated by a 720p encode better than a full 1080. 

• 4 weeks later...