'The Lion Guard' and 'The Lion King: Return of the Roar'

Koby

EtKgpLU.jpg

'The Lion Guard' announcement
Almost 20 years to the day that The Lion King first roared into theaters, Disney Junior has announced its plans for a follow-up TV-movie and series.

The Lion Guard — which will be geared toward kids age 2-7 and debut as a movie in fall 2015 before going to series in early 2016 — follows Kion, the second born cub of Simba and Nala, as he leads the titular group, which is tasked with preserving the Pride Lands. But rather than assemble a team of young lions to serve alongside him, Kion enlists a fearless honey badger, a confident cheetah, a happy-go-lucky hippo and an intellectual egret.

The Lion King franchise’s Mufasa, Timon, Pumbaa, Rafiki, Zazu and Kion’s older sister Kiara, the future Queen of the Pride Lands, can be counted on for occasional drop-ins.

With consults from wildlife education experts at Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park, The Lion Guard will incorporate themes of conservation, family and community while also highlighting problem-solving, creative thinking and diversity.

News of the series was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

“The story of The Lion King has deeply touched families around the world since its original theatrical release 20 years ago,” Disney Junior Worldwide EVP Nancy Kanter said in a statement. “We look forward to introducing a whole new generation of kids to both the Disney legacy characters and to new friends and heroes.”

TV Movie 'The Lion King: Return of the Roar' Prequel to 'The Lion Guard' announced
Rob Lowe and Gabrielle Union will be showing more pride in their work than usual with their latest project.

Lowe and Union have joined the cast of “The Lion King: Return of the Roar,” an animated primetime movie premiering on the Disney Channel in November.

The cast also includes Max Charles and Atticus Shaffer, with James Earl Jones and Ernie Sabella reprising their “Lion King” roles of Mufasa and Pumbaa, respectively.

The new offering follows Kion (“The Strain” star Charles), the second-born cub of Simba (Lowe) and Nala (Union), as he assumes the role of leader of the Lion Guard, a team of animals tasked with preserving the Pride Lands.

“The Middle” actor Shaffer will play intellectual egret Ono.

The cast also includes Joshua Rush (“The Adventures of Puss in Boots”) as Kion’s friend and fearless honey badger Bunga; Diamond White as confident cheetah Fuli; and Dusan Brown as Beshte, a friendly and good-spirited hippo.

“Return of the Roar” will break with the “Lion King” precedent in that, traditionally, the Lion Guard has been comprised of lions known to be the fiercest, bravest, fastest, strongest and keenest of sight in the Pride Lands. However, Kion breaks tradition by instead calling upon some of his friends who he believes best exemplify these heroic qualities.

The cast also includes Eden Riegel (“All My Children”); Sarah Hyland (“Modern Family”); “Jake and the Never Land Pirates” duo Madison Pettis and Jeff Bennett; Andrew Kishino (“Star Wars: The Clone Wars”); Vargus Mason (“Sofia the First”); Greg Ellis (“Star Wars Rebels”); Khary Payton (“Teen Titans”) and Kevin Schon (“The Lion King’s Timon and Pumbaa”).

The new film, which is produced by Disney Television Animation, was developed by Ford Riley (“Special Agent Oso”), who’s also executive producing. Howy Parkins (“Jake and the Never Land Pirates”) is directing and Christopher Willis (“Mickey Mouse”) is serving as composer. Beau Black (“Miles from Tomorrowland”) is the singer/songwriter.

The movie will be followed by the series “The Lion Guard,” which will premiere early next year on Disney Channels and Disney Junior Channels globally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X19M8Ugshlw

• Like 2

Interesting...

A little longer Preview of that very same scene.

Sneak Peek | The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar | Disney Channel

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2toXxKBg-kk"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In a way, reminds me of "The Jungle Cubs" 1993 TV Series of Disney's The Jungle Book.

Edited by Smileyyakadoo

• 4 weeks later...

I want to know what happened to Kovu. There has been no mention of him appearing or existing.

Some characters from The Lion King and its 1998 sequel The Lion King II: Simba's Pride will appear such as Kiara, Timon, Pumbaa, Rafiki, Zazu and Simba. It will also feature new characters including a cheetah named Fuli, a hippopotamus named Beshte, an egret named Ono and a honey badger named Bunga, who will serve as Kion's friends.

Current Cast List:

• Kion, voiced by Max Charles: Simba and Nala's son, Kiara's younger brother, Prince of the Pride Lands, leader of The Lion Guard, and the main protagonist.
  • Fuli, voiced by Diamond White: Kion's cheetah friend and a member of The Lion Guard.
  • Beshte, voiced by Dusan Brown: Kion's hippopotamus friend and a member of The Lion Guard.
  • Ono, voiced by Atticus Shaffer: Kion's cattle egret friend and a member of The Lion Guard.
  • Bunga, voiced by Joshua Rush: Kion's honey badger friend and a member of The Lion Guard.[6]
  • Simba, voiced by Rob Lowe: Nala's mate, Kion and Kiara's father and King of the Pride Lands.
  • Nala, voiced by Gabrielle Union: Simba's mate, Kion and Kiara's mother and Queen of the Pride Lands.
  • Kiara, voiced by Eden Riegel: Simba and Nala's daughter, Kion's older sister and Princess of the Pride Lands.
  • Timon, voiced by Kevin Schon: Simba's wisecracking meerkat friend.[6]
  • Pumbaa, voiced by Ernie Sabella: Simba's and Timon's warmhearted common warthog friend.[6] Sabella reprises his role from the original film and its spin-offs.
  • Rafiki, voiced by Khary Payton: A wise old baboon who serves as a shaman of the lions of Pride Rock.
  • Zazu, voiced by Jeff Bennett: A red-billed hornbill who serves as Simba's major-domo.
  • Mufasa, voiced by James Earl Jones: Simba's father and Kion and Kiara's grandfather who was killed in the original film by his brother Scar, but who lives on as a spirit. Jones reprises his role from the original film.
  • Mzingo, voiced by Jonny Rees
  • Tiifu, voiced by Sarah Hyland
  • Zuri, voiced by Madison Pettis
  • Janja, voiced by Andrew Kishino: A cunning spotted hyena.
  • Cheezi, voiced by Vargus Mason: A crazy spotted hyena.
  • Chungu, voiced by Kevin Schon
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I didn't like The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar. Everyone has new voices and totally different accents. They could have at least tried to sound similar. As for Kovu he is basically doesn't exist as they jumped back in time so Kiara is still a cub, thus Kion is just a little younger than her is all; making it so the second movie just doesn't fit with the story line at all.

I was pretty much disappointed in this, but it's definitely aimed at a younger demographic so little kids would still enjoy this despite it's faults. Just don't expect old-time fans of the franchise to think much of it.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

This is seriously a very underrated series IMO.

Much better then a certain DUMPSTER FIRE series that shall remain unnamed.

Ever since I started watching it, I fell in love with it immediately. 😍

Pretty dark at times to for a show that airs on Disney Junior.

Every episode has basically been AMAZING in it's own, unique, individual way. Particularly recently.

The only bad thing is that it seems to only have one new episode a month now for whatever reason. 😞

Regardless this is pretty much my favorite cartoon at the moment.

'Til the Pride Lands End... Lion Guard Defend!!

or with what was just established in the latest new episode...

We'll Do What's Right... Pride Landers Unite!!

😝

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know... it's getting to the point where I'm about ready to declare this series the BEST western animated series I've ever watched.

DEAR GOD. THEY DID IT AGAIN. THAT S3 OPENER.

They just broke Rule #1 of cartoons (really of animation in general). They aged the main characters and I LOVED IT. Plus... even more similarities to FFXV (which is really a good thing and bad thing at the same time. It's only increasing my worries that this series is going to end up ending the same way FFXV did. 😭)

There's no other way to describe what I just watched other than AMAZING. 😍

11 hours ago, Koby said:

Is there a list somewhere of which episodes are filler (don't progress the story or hold any relevance overall) and which aren't?

Not aware of something like this sorry.

To me, each episode is GREAT in its own, unique, individual way.

The best way for me to answer this is that pretty much all of S1 is kind of 'slice of life' except with 'problem of the day' and/or 'problem of the episode' and then S2 is similar but it begins to take a 'darker' tone with occasional references from the villains about bringing Scar back until it actually happens in the one-hour 'Rise of Scar' special. Then the series actually has an arc that lasts throughout the rest of the season. In this case I guess you can call it either the 'Return of Scar' arc or 'Defeat Scar Again' arc after this S2 episode. So each episode is important in it's own way (again IMO) with the occasional 'slice of life' still in there every so often.

Then S3 Scar is defeated, new problem, additional member/main character and new arc introduced that apparently explains what Kion & Guard were doing during 2nd Lion King movie. Best way to describe this new arc is 'Healing' or 'Tree of Life' arc.

Sorry if this answer is unsatisfactory. 😓

Edited by CardGames

2 hours ago, CardGames said:

Not aware of something like this sorry.

To me, each episode is GREAT in its own, unique, individual way.

The best way for me to answer this is that pretty much all of S1 is kind of 'slice of life' except with 'problem of the day' and/or 'problem of the episode' and then S2 is similar but it begins to take a 'darker' tone with occasional references from the villains about bringing Scar back until it actually happens in the one-hour 'Rise of Scar' special. Then the series actually has an arc that lasts throughout the rest of the season. In this case I guess you can call it either the 'Return of Scar' arc or 'Defeat Scar Again' arc after this S2 episode. So each episode is important in it's own way (again IMO) with the occasional 'slice of life' still in there every so often.

Then S3 Scar is defeated, new problem, additional member/main character and new arc introduced that apparently explains what Kion & Guard were doing during 2nd Lion King movie. Best way to describe this new arc is 'Healing' or 'Tree of Life' arc.

Sorry if this answer is unsatisfactory. 😓

I asked because I watched like 14 episodes of season 1 and all it amounted to was a bunch of one-off episodes aimed at 3 year olds.

So if it got better, was hoping to be able to watch some condensed list of episodes that actually have merit to watching them and progress the actual story and character development.

Loved the two films and was rather disappointed with what I saw of Lion Guard; but I'm totally down for some story about Kovu, Scar, and how they tie this into the movies and whether or not they explain why Kion wasn't around for Simba's Pride so that it fits nicely in without having to ignore some pretty glaringly obviously plot holes.

35 minutes ago, Koby said:

I asked because I watched like 14 episodes of season 1 and all it amounted to was a bunch of one-off episodes aimed at 3 year olds.

So if it got better, was hoping to be able to watch some condensed list of episodes that actually have merit to watching them and progress the actual story and character development.

Loved the two films and was rather disappointed with what I saw of Lion Guard; but I'm totally down for some story about Kovu, Scar, and how they tie this into the movies and whether or not they explain why Kion wasn't around for Simba's Pride so that it fits nicely in without having to ignore some pretty glaringly obviously plot holes.

Honestly... yes. It does. Although S1 is still pretty good (again IMO)

There are definitely some good character development moments but I think they don't start happening until S2 IIRC. Most notably for Kion & Bunga.

Kovu has only appeared in one S1 episode unfortunately. He hasn't appeared since then. Scar returns as pretty much an 'evil plotting ghost' in S2 and the rest of the season up until S3 premier is him as the main villain again.

As far as Scar... other then what I mentioned above... they actually did reveal something about him in the S3 premier. They revealed how Scar got his... well... scar (no pun intended I swear 😅) Then he pretty much had the same thing done to Kion in an attempt to make him evil and the point of S3 seems to be to heal him (as well as another Guard member who got injured in the battle to defeat him which caused a new member to join but the injured member is still a member as well)

Honestly... I haven't watched the other Lion King movies myself. I seriously need to do that one of these days. So I can't speak for 'plotholes' from it. But... from what I can guess... Kion & Guard were out trying to get Kion & other member healed during Lion King 2. Because they completely leave the Pride Lands in order to do so. But since I haven't seen the movies myself that may not be a satisfactory resolution or answer to any 'plotholes' due to whatever happens in Lion King 2. 🤷‍♂️

P.S.: Also... believe it or not... Wikipedia does a somewhat decent job of describing stuff that happens in the episodes if your interested. Though they are minor summaries obviously. For full details on what happens in episodes... you'll have to view it's wiki (yes there is one)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Lion_Guard_episodes

Edited by CardGames

• 2 months later...

Well...

The last two episodes of this series just aired today and yesterday. I've successfully completed this series.

If anyone is legitimately curious as to how the series ends... ask and I'll make another post in a spoiler tag with how it ends.

Otherwise... just watch it yourself. Because it really is that good.

For me... the BEST western animated series I've ever watched. There will NEVER be a replacement.

I'll NEVER forget this show. I'll remember it. ALWAYS.

😍

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, EchoNightBlood said:

I really enjoyed this show.  Shame its over now.  They even created a lot of original songs for it which have not all been released.  I would buy the album for the last season if it was available.

Same. As well as any DVD/Blu-Rays of the series if they were to release (*insert loud laughter here because that's clearly never going to happen ever*)