Welcome to Kametsu

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Koby

Ajin: Demi-Human (TV & Movie Versions)

20 posts in this topic

Ajin
9wpDH3j.jpg
MAL

For high schooler Kei—and for at least forty-six others—immortality comes as the nastiest surprise ever.

Sadly for Kei, such a feat doesn't make him a superhero. In the eyes of both the general public and governments, he's a rare specimen who needs to be hunted down and handed over to scientists to be experimented on for life—a demi-human who must die a thousand deaths for the benefit of humanity.

2 people like this

First 'Ajin' Film titled 'Impulse' Opens November 2015

The official website of the Ajin film trilogy announced that the first installment, titled Shoudou (Impulse), will open in Japanese theaters in November 2015. The announcement also included the cast of the film and a second preview video featuring the cast of characters.

The films are adapted from the manga of the same name by Gamon Sakurai. In the manga, high schooler Kei Nagai becomes an immortal demi-human (ajin) and is hunted by the government for experimental purposes. North American publisher Vertical has been releasing the manga in English since 2014. The anime adaptation was announced in the July issue of good! Afternoon magazine.

Cast
Kei Nagai: Mamoru Miyano (Chihayafuru)
Kaito: Yoshimasa Hosoya (Strike the Blood)
Satou: Houchuu Ootsuka (Durarara!!)
Yuu Tosaki: Takahiro Sakurai (Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch)
Izumi Shimomura: Mikako Komatsu (K)
Kouji Tanaka: Daisuke Hirakawa (Free!)
Eriko Nagai: Aya Suzaki (Tamako Market)
Ikuya Okura: Hiroyuki Kinoshita (Aldnoah.Zero)

PV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaTgnBOrwHY

1 person likes this

TV Anime of 'Ajin' to Air in Winter 2016

Gamon Sakurai's horror manga Ajin has been announced for adaptation into a TV anime in Winter 2016. The manga was previously announced to be adapted into a film trilogy, with the first part scheduled for November 2015.

According to the news release, the TV series is produced to represent the original work more precisely. The manga follows high schooler Kei Nagai, who becomes an immortal demi-human (ajin) and is hunted by the government for experimental purposes. In addition to the TV broadcast on MBS, TBS, and CBC, the series will be streamed on Netflix, which began its service in Japan on September 2.

1 person likes this

Manga 'Ajin' to Bundle OVA

The official site for manga Ajin has revealed that an OVA will be bundled together with its eighth volume, to be released on May 6. The site also hints that the OVA will center around to country's first "ajin".

A film trilogy and a TV adaptation were previously announced this year. Hiroaki Ando will direct the series at Polygon Pictures (Sidonia no Kishi).

The manga is written by Gamon Sakurai. It began serialization in Kodansha's good! Afternoon magazine in March 2012. It is currently being published with seven volumes released.

1 person likes this

Anyone watched the first episode? Just finished it and while the CGI was weird at first, I have to say I really really enjoyed it. It was pretty awesome to watch imo. Great action, the characters were interesting and I am already invested in the storyline and I have a new favorite. Kai <3

I merged the discussion topics of the movie with the TV series since it's going to apparently mostly cover the same stuff; just with some slight differences. Didn't really see any reason to split the franchise discussion up, especially when discussions are lacking to begin with.

Anyhow...

The tv version of Ajin is apparently finally differing from the movie more. Ep 3 marks an hour worth of video for tv version, but it's only about the 48 mark into first movie. So within the first 3 episodes there is ~12 minutes of new footage compared to the movie. That's more than half an episode worth of material. At the rate it's going, it could be ep 7 before movie 1 content is complete... so I wouldn't see how they'd fit the other two movies into this season, unless this season is only intended to cover the first movie, or like half of the second, or if they start trimming some stuff out to end the first movie in the next two eps.

Anyhow, the show has been excellent thus far! Could see this easily being one of the top contenders for AotS for me alongside ERASED.

1 person likes this

As an action-thriller the last four episodes anyway have been just about flawless. Why doesn’t Satou dispose of this “project” when he deems it a failure? Because Kei intrigues him – there’s something odd about him.

I’m not quite sure what’s going on with Kei. He says himself that he never feels anything for anyone but himself, yet he tries to save those researchers at considerable risk to himself – those men who’d spent the last several day torturing him gruesomely. The risk to Kei here is very genuine, because Ajin can die, as Satou reveals – if they regenerate without being able to access the head, a new head grows in its place (which leaves us with all sorts of philosophical questions about identity). Why would he do that if he were incapable of empathy – if he were the cold and logical automaton his sister says he is?  It seems like a contradiction between the Kei Eriko (and Kei himself) describes, and the boy we’ve been watching for six episodes. But one thing’s for sure – as human or as Ajin, Kei isn’t normal.

There’s a lot to take in this week, as Ajin seems to have taken a rather unexpected turn – but then, what’s a good roller-coaster ride without a few unexpected turns? “Never a dull moment” is a turn of phrase that may as well have been invented for this show, because Ajin just doesn’t waste a moment of your attention – there’s always something happening, and always something to think about.

1 person likes this

As for the series. The first 6 or so episodes were from the first movie. The CG anime is not really my style when I watch anime., but the series was pulled off well, so I did not mind. 

I recommend watching this anime if you have not all ready.

Apparently Ajin was added to Netflix this morning with an English Dub!

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Koby said:

Apparently Ajin was added to Netflix this morning with an English Dub!

Yeah, @Emrys was watching it. :P

I just saw it, works getting in the way. Now how to download it ;)

It took a couple of episodes to get used to the CGI animation. Like most of you said, it isn't my style. But after a while I didn't even notice it. I really liked how dark the world was.

The last 3 or so episodes were intense. My partner paid no attention to the series, but she actually sat down and was glued to her seat for the ending. I think it's a great well paced series, and at only 13 episodes it doesn't outstay its welcome. It really did remind me of parasite from last year.

Honestly I didn't mind the CGI i just couldn't get into the story or the characters, because 90% of them seemed like they just were terrible people... I understand its fiction but the creators view which is basically that all people have 0 empathy of anything really made me stop watching after 4-5 episodes.

Yes Season 2 is out.  But, so far there is no one fansub group working on it yet.

4 minutes ago, Beave said:

Yes Season 2 is out.  But, so far there is no one fansub group working on it yet.

There is actually 3 different releases. Anon, Ajin2.com, and KamiFS have all done some of it.

So all three episodes that have aired has subtitles already...

None of them are as good as Underwater of course, but they're watchable at the very least for anyone who doesn't want to wait 6 months for Netflix subs and dub.

2 people like this

It's a shame that a series as great as Ajin is one of the very few anime that isn't being Simulcast. Instead it has like a 6 month delay to being subbed and being available only on Netflix (although it does fortunately get an English dub too as a result). Though I hear this second season is about to head into a complete anime-original route which is extremely unfortunate because that almost always spells disaster and thus I'm thinking the second half of this season is likely going to go downhill fairly quickly.

1 person likes this

Didn't think i was going to like it at first but man Saitou is such a badass.

The introduction/first chapter or so stuff was a bit... off I felt, but so much good stuff is going for it otherwise. The anime's animation was a bit weird to get used to but is so pretty and clean looking. It gets straight into Sci Fi-ish philosophical implications of regeneration/etc and I really enjoy the look into the MC's psyche. This is also probably the first time I've actually been super into a non sympathetic villain, too. He's just that cool. I'd recommend it. 

Hope the film ends up being good!