GOD EATER

Koby

Set in Japan in the year 2071 where the world has been mostly destroyed by mysterious monsters known as the Aragami. An organization known as Fenrir was made to exterminate Aragami using weapons called God Arcs which is made from the cells of an Aragami. Those who specialize in exterminating Aragami are known as God Eaters. Originally God Eaters had one type in which their God Arcs can only keep gun form or blade form, however a new type has been discovered that can switch between gun and blade form. Since then, they have been classified new-types and the previous as old-types.

o8CSYI6.jpg

Gun blades?

Sounds good. Have you seen the first episode? If so how was it?

Nope, waiting for GJM! to sub it rather than jumping on the CR rip by HS. I have plenty of other stuff to keep me busy till then, so no real reason why I shouldn't or couldn't wait. The art style of this show is extremely weird. Reminds me of Vexille in that sense. The characters almost look CGI but they're not, it's just the way they're shaded and colored. Almost pastel like.

I watched the God Eater Prologue which came out in 2009 which takes place 6 years before the game story which the new series is based on. So in a way it can be seen as a prequel to the new TV series.

It was released officially subtitled on YouTube. No one else did it.

For anyone who wants to watch or download it, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NemX5bxF-ik

I gave it a 6/10 and found it to be a little boring but that's probably because I knew nothing of the series going into it (though I still feel like I don't lol so...). Hopefully episode one of the series is as enjoyable as the 'hype' it seems to have going for it in the anime fandom communities.

• Like 1

This anime is being criticized so much for it's art and noobs are mistaking it for CG when it's not (and doesn't look even close to it), but I thought the art was amazing. Just finished watching the first episode and I couldn't get enough of this art style. I like that this has the unique look that it does. It's probably one of it's biggest draws for me and we're only one episode in but I can already say I'll probably enjoy the ride this series has to offer more so than any of the others I picked up for Summer 2015. Could end up being AotS for me (not like anything else has really stood out in this mediocre season anyhow). I'm not really liking the MC nor how cliche he seems to be, but I do hope we get more focus on Soma. Soma seems like a character that could make any show better.

• 2 weeks later...

Koby, can you post the Prologue?

After watching episode 3 this anime is one of the better ones this season IMHO. Lots of action and some story line too.

It's posted above... Can you not see the youtube embedded?

I missed that.  I'm DDL it now.

Thanks!

Finally watched episode 2. It's unfortunate the rookie's mistake caused Eric to die anyhow after he made the effort to save him. Eric sacrificed his own life for the rookie. The reaction: possible removal of his God Arc. Seems reasonable when you think about it, but this is anime so he'll of course redeem himself and show that he's worthy enough to keep around. Especially since he's already shown he's a 'new-type'; those with the ability to switch their weapon from a gun to a sword and vice-verse.

The artwork is still one of the biggest draw-points the show has going for it, but it's also one of the biggest reasons people write it off as well. People can't understand that the shading used is an artistic style and also can't comprehend that it's not CG. They write it off as just being terrible CG effects, but it's nothing of the sort. GOD EATER has an extremely high animation budget and this kind of spot on detail shading is a lot of work. I think it makes the show stand out and gives it a unique feel among all the other generic art work out there. That was a big reason why I enjoyed Seraph of the End so much too; the way they hand-drew all the backgrounds was just fabulous there.

GOD EATER is starting to feel like the SotE of the Summer 2015 season to me.

• Like 1

O.M.G. episode 3 was bad ass. The MC has certainly proved his worth and is finally learning how to operate his God Eater and we finally see what all the hype is about with the 'new-types'. They've certainly got an advantage. Seems they have an extra ability besides just being able to change between a gun and a blade. Definitely looks like this will be my AotS and it's definitely the series I look forward to the next episode the most of those I picked up. Can't wait to see what episode 4 has in store for us.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get how Lenka isn't dead.

Apparently they're enhanced with Oracle blood/dna... butthe show doesn't really seem to explain that. Was it something you needed to have played the game to know about at this point? I was under the assumption they were basically regular humans who were simply able to use the God Arcs for whatever reason specific to them. After all, in this last episode the guards were scanning refugee's to see if they had the potential and then turned them all away. It didn't seem like it'd be something that had to be scientifically done in a lab. Otherwise they'd have known they wouldn't be capable off the bat without the need of scanning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lenka has some amazing healing ability there. To have your gut sliced open and bleeding to death and to come back and be able to fight a little bit later with a broken & dead God Arc is something. Then he jumps from a window and falls like 4 or 5 stories but gets up and acts like it was nothing. Alisa ran out of pills and suddenly started suffering from her past trauma of seeing her parents killed right in front of her. She loses the ability to fight and drops her God Arc leaving Lenka to try and save her with his dead God Arc, which of course was not possible. Lucky for both of them that Rindou appears just in the nick of time to save the day.

Nice episode overall and it's good to see some background story on Alisa.

• Like 2

Seems like we'll continue to get a special after every two episodes. The specials are nothing worth watching and just detail why they delay so much and stuff. Next week is Special 3 instead of episode 8.

Anyhow... We found out this episode that Rindou has basically been helping a secret group of regular humans to survive and supplying them with the means to do so. We also learn that Lenka's God Arc is in-fact still alive somehow and he manages to save the town by injecting it with an Aragami to shove a Vajra through a dam and down the river. Alisa is still suffering from her past trauma of seeing her parents killed and has been nothing but a tit-bag for the last couple episodes. I've gotten pretty annoyed with her character as of late. She acted so bad-ass at first for someone that keeps having to be rescued now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

God Eater Episode 9 Listed as Final TV Episode Next Sunday
The Tokyo MX station, Yahoo! TV Japan, and other Japanese television schedules are listing episode 9 of the God Eater anime on September 27 as the final television episode. The end of the television run does not preclude plans for the anime in another format or medium. The new anime Comet Lucifer will take over God Eater's 10:30 p.m. timeslot on October 4.

The God Eater anime premiered in August, and four "Extra" episode have so far pre-empted regular episodes that were previously scheduled.

• Like 2

'God Eater' Final Four Episodes to Premiere in Winter 2016
It was announced during the airing for episode 9 of TV anime God Eater that the final four episodes will premiere in Winter 2016. The announcement also revealed their titles with more information to come at a later date:

Episode 10: Sange (A Glorious End)
Episode 11: Meteor Light
Episode 12: Dai-Ichi Butai (First Unit)
Episode 13: Renge (Lotus Flower)

The series is a TV anime adaptation based on Bandai Namco's PSP action game series "God Eater", that was adapted by studio ufotable. It premiered in July 2015 and ran for a total of nine episodes with various breaks.

• Like 2