GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There!

Koby

In August of 20XX, a portal to a parallel world, known as the "Gate," suddenly appeared in Ginza, Tokyo. Monsters and troops poured out of the portal, turning the shopping district into a bloody inferno.

The Japan Ground-Self Defence Force immediately took action and pushed the fantasy creatures back to the "Gate." To facilitate negotiations and prepare for future fights, the JGSDF dispatched the Third Reconnaissance Team to the "Special Region" at the other side of the Gate.

Youji Itami, a JSDF officer as well as a 33-year-old otaku, was appointed as the leader of the Team. Amid attacks from enemy troops the team visited a variety of places and learnt a lot about the local culture and geography.

Thanks to their efforts in humanitarian relief, although with some difficulties they were gradually able to reach out to the locals. They even had a cute elf, a sorceress and a demigoddess in their circle of new friends. On the other hand, the major powers outside the Gate such as the United States, China, and Russia were extremely interested in the abundant resources available in the Special Region. They began to exert diplomatic pressure over Japan.

A suddenly appearing portal to an unknown world—to the major powers it may be no more than a mere asset for toppling the international order. But to our protagonists it is an invaluable opportunity to broaden knowledge, friendship, and ultimately their perspective towards the world.

Unfortunately doesn't seem like any fansub/fanedit group will be picking this up. All we have is Sushit saving us from the choppy CR video by retiming and muxing the CR script from HorribleSubs into an HDTV source video.

Episode 1 was not good imo. I almost didn't continue the show after that crap setup, but episode 2 redeemed itself and I was happy I stuck around. Episode 3 seems to be an interesting ride from the preview so lets hope it doesn't disappoint! :)

Just watched the first two episodes of this and I'm feeling it. I love escalation. I just can't resist it when a country in a show just goes "'MURICA!!" all over some uncivilized plebs. 

It's funny that it's the Japanese Self-Defense Force that is doing all the massacring. So much for being there just for 'self-defense' as their name implies. I kind of lol'd at MURICA deciding to stay out of it for now so that when it blows up in their face later they won't be to blame and they're letting the Japanese take care of it so they can come in and reap/steal the profits later.

What the hell is up with that stupid Emperor on the other side? His armies are getting destroyed left and right and he just sees it as a way to keep his enemies from that side of the gate in check rather than realizing that he needs them and he's severely outmatched and outclassed and doesn't stand a chance alone. He clearly doesn't have his head in the right spot given the circumstances at hand and I honestly don't see him agreeing or negotiating terms with Japan... even for his own people it seems it'd be best if he was taken out of the picture.

Yeah, when your own (hot) daughter questions you hard, you're in for a bad time. Emperor is going to be assassinated at some point during this show.

Was it just me or did it seem like he didn't care if she was killed off? He did end up sending her to spy on the soldiers who have been completely obliterating his army. I felt like he really couldn't handle someone questioning his decisions and sent her on what he thought would be a suicide mission to quiet her.

So dank. I love that they introduced the 3 other girls this early on (especially the loli goth). Rory is the best girl by far.

tumblr_nrn9koNtZr1s6441yo1_500.jpg

That was a nice battle as well with good contributions from all the characters. I can't wait for what's to come.

Edited by deanzel

You can definitely tell by the pacing that this is a 2-cour show. Now with episode 3 out of the way it seems the introductions of the main cast are pretty much over and we're finally moving past that. Rory seems pretty bad-ass and I liked that even with their firepower they didn't actually take out the Fire Dragon; instead it fled after losing one of it's arms. Onto the next episode!

You can definitely tell by the pacing that this is a 2-cour show. Now with episode 3 out of the way it seems the introductions of the main cast are pretty much over and we're finally moving past that. Rory seems pretty bad-ass and I liked that even with their firepower they didn't actually take out the Fire Dragon; instead it fled after losing one of it's arms. Onto the next episode!

This seems like a generic copy-pasted response that I've seen from somewhere else.

This seems like a generic copy-pasted response that I've seen from somewhere else.

That's what happens when you're a member of multiple anime communities. Besides I posted it here first then pasted it elsewhere. Different communities = different responses though and thus the same post can lead to entirely different discussions. Either way there's no reason or point in me typing two different posts about the same thoughts I had of each episode, so... yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

Story progression is moving really slowly. After watching episode 4 it doesn't really seem like anything really happened or took place. We see they're still learning how to communicate. The red head learns that her father is really the enemy they need to be worried about but doesn't seem to believe it even though the old general said as much. I'm surprised he's even alive somehow. We finally learn how the blonde ended up in the well, and we hear that our world is having issues believing the story about all the dead. Firstly how did they even find out about how many people were being massacred in the GATE world? Also, they came at them ready for a fight, it's not like the JSDF just decided to kill everyone for no reason; they defended themselves from a threat.

• Like 1

GATE really suffers from an issue with pacing. It's extremely padded out to make what little story they have last for 2-cours. Nothing happened in episode 5 until 19 minutes in and by then the episode was basically over. The story, the characters, the animation, etc.. this series has everything going for it, but that pacing is just killing it for me. There is so much this show could be doing to expand the story and keep it going but it's just failing in that regard.

• Like 1

GATE really suffers from an issue with pacing. It's extremely padded out to make what little story they have last for 2-cours. Nothing happened in episode 5 until 19 minutes in and by then the episode was basically over. The story, the characters, the animation, etc.. this series has everything going for it, but that pacing is just killing it for me. There is so much this show could be doing to expand the story and keep it going but it's just failing in that regard.

You have a point there.  Gate, does seem dragged out. The last episode was easy to watch, but other than  the end and the Lt getting slammed by the door, nothing really happened.

That ordeal with Rory was just over-the-top ridiculous. Why would she go into an orgasm over feeling all the dead souls? Just seems silly.

"Why do you guys sit on your helmets?"

"So we don't get our balls blown off!"

LOL, probably the best line of the episode.

Itami getting out of the Humvee was the dumbest thing possible to do and clearly only done to progress the story.

• Like 2

yes they met all the other world girls in one ep then had nothing to do

if i did not have to wait a week each ep i would not mind the pace as much

That ordeal with Rory was just over-the-top ridiculous. Why would she go into an orgasm over feeling all the dead souls? Just seems silly.

yes yes it was

"Why do you guys sit on your helmets?"

"So we don't get our balls blown off!"

LOL, probably the best line of the episode.

why were they playing music?

Itami getting out of the Humvee was the dumbest thing possible to do and clearly only done to progress the story.

otherwize the princess would not make a decision (lol that's the title of next ep)

over all this is one of the few shows this season ive watch on the simulcast day exactly

i love it!

Edited by Pikanet128

• 2 weeks later...