Dragon Ball Super

Koby

Reuniting the franchise's iconic characters, Dragon Ball Super will follow the aftermath of Goku's fierce battle with Majin Buu as he attempts to maintain earth's fragile peace.

How long can this show survive on Nostalgia alone? Hope it has more to offer in future episodes but I don't have much hope. Seems Akira has run out of ideas and they're just milking the franchise since it's a cash-cow. All the new transformations are simple palette changes rather than new designs and it's pretty lackluster so far.

DB Super thus far seems to be trying to replicate the comedy of Dragon Ball rather than continue the action packed Z story.

• Like 3

So has anyone started watching this?? Thoughts? Recommended subbers?

I gave my thoughts on the first episode above. As for fansubbers, the only release worth bothering with was by the 'Dragon Team' which is apparently made of up members of Baaro and the Moonlighters.

• Like 1

Dragon Team is the way to go. Can't wait for more fugly Videl!!

I don't mind Videl's design, but I'm saddened by the approach Akira took with Gohan after the Cell saga. I loved Teen Gohan, but then he turns into dorky nerd. Also really liked Future Trunks but current time Trunks is nothing like him. These complaints though aren't anything new with Super though, they existed in Buu saga from Z.

I'd honestly prefer a spin-off in the DB universe that doesn't put all the dominant role on the Saiyans than I would a sequel to Z such as we're getting with Super. I've always said I would have enjoyed a Namekian main character traveling the universe or something. With Z all the side characters ended up eclipsed once the Super Saiyan's got too powerful for anyone else to keep up. I get that the show is about Goku, but still, other shounen still give other characters the spot light from time to time.

• Like 1

So has anyone started watching this?? Thoughts? Recommended subbers?

I gave my thoughts on the first episode above. As for fansubbers, the only release worth bothering with was by the 'Dragon Team' which is apparently made of up members of Baaro and the Moonlighters.

Thanks! Just wanted some more thoughts from other people! :P Anyway, Dragon Team? Definitely going to check them out once I start watching! Thanks again! (:

I think its still a bit early to pass judgement on the show especially if  Toriyama is following the formula for dragon ball instead of dragon ball. personally i was always a bigger fan of the original dragon ball  since Z jumped the shark with the Freeza arc.  though personals i think a whole show could have been passed on Gohan the way he was in high school.

Some ting i looking forward to finding out is if Uub  will be reintroduced, also finding out more about the Kai's. based on some of what i have read this arc will revolve  heavily around the Kia on higher level the the Kabito Kai/ Suprem Kai. Besides i be thoroughly disappointed if this series turns out to be an other GT ( which even Mr. Toriyama him self has on many occasions said he did not want to be associated with)

After watching two episodes of I come to the conclusion that this nothing a TV version of the Battle of Gods film after looking at the next preview I was like ''WTF Really!?!? but overall the design and the characters look better but I can't pass on some of them like Koby mentioned about Gohan being a true nerd

After watching two episodes of I come to the conclusion that this nothing a TV version of the Battle of Gods film after looking at the next preview I was like ''WTF Really!?!? but overall the design and the characters look better but I can't pass on some of them like Koby mentioned about Gohan being a true nerd

From what I've read; DB Super will be 100 episodes and the first half will just be an alternate retelling of Movies 14 and 15. So we'll essentially have to wade through 50 episodes of filler-ish comedy fluff and rehashed plot before we get to anything substantially new and then it'd already be half over.

Are you kidding me I might as well just wait until we get something new and the Freiza reborn movie will be out next month in theaters. This really blows.

Well as it's a retelling and not a recap and also turning a movie into ~25 episodes each... we can expect differences and new stuff still.

Three episodes in and nothing has changed. I'm seriously thinking this will end up being a dropped show for me.

It seems like they're making characters weaker. Vegeta is exhausted from just a little bit of what should be considered light training for him. Goku is acting like he has a hard time pulling some weights that should be a cake walk for even most of the weaker spectrum of the cast. Beerus is overall a shitty character. Why does Mr. Satan suddenly look as dark as a Mexican? It's been no action and all silly mind-numbingly stupid thus far and seems to be jumping all over the place like it doesn't know what it wants to do. Really poor story telling.

Currently rating this show a 2/10.

It seems like they're making characters weaker. Vegeta is exhausted from just a little bit of what should be considered light training for him. Goku is acting like he has a hard time pulling some weights that should be a cake walk for even most of the weaker spectrum of the cast.

To be fair, aren't Vegeta and Goku old ass men now? It's been eighteen years since the events of Dragon Ball Z, they're all out of shape and whatnot.

It seems like they're making characters weaker. Vegeta is exhausted from just a little bit of what should be considered light training for him. Goku is acting like he has a hard time pulling some weights that should be a cake walk for even most of the weaker spectrum of the cast.

To be fair, aren't Vegeta and Goku old ass men now? It's been eighteen years since the events of Dragon Ball Z, they're all out of shape and whatnot.

It's only 3 and a half years, not 18.

Super ignores the ending of Z, it acts like Uub didn't exist either, and it starts 3 and a half years after the defeat of Kid Buu.

Plus full blood saiyans age very slowly and live much longer.

• Like 2

@koby 

well I for one dont agree with the story of this new DB super at all..

its just foolish to continue the story when its ended in 1996...

plus there was DBGT which gave a shitty ending ..

i wouldnt have minded if Akira had continued the series from DBGT 

it would have been much better and much more exciting than this and he could add this super-saiyan god thing there bcoz you cant see any super-saiyan god HA-s anywhere in DBGT which events had occurred after 10 years after the DBZ final ep (the Final tournament fight between Uub and Goku)  ... 

P.S:U guys knowing that DBGT was not originally done by Akira toriyama but some other guy, he just landed his support to the anime to look more like the actual part of the series

but it sucked anyway...

Edited by Royce_666

Despite all the negativity, if this is focused more on comedy then I don't mind. I will say I enjoyed DB more than DBZ.

Anyway will watch this later on.

It's not even focused on comedy anymore. It's just basically filler-fluff that makes the characters all extremely stupid. Trunks and Goten were having a hard time fighting a snake, Vegeta all huff-n-puff went to a carnival and rode on a roller coaster, Goku destroys King Kai's home again, Goten nearly killed himself driving a tractor off a cliff and Goku saved him as if Goten forgot how to fly.

• Like 2

It's not even focused on comedy anymore. It's just basically filler-fluff that makes the characters all extremely stupid. Trunks and Goten were having a hard time fighting a snake, Vegeta all huff-n-puff went to a carnival and rode on a roller coaster, Goku destroys King Kai's home again, Goten nearly killed himself driving a tractor off a cliff and Goku saved him as if Goten forgot how to fly.

XD Sounds like Akira can't remember the basic stuff. Unless he regretted making the characters so OP in Z.