non mmo games like WOW

skate.101

So i have been playing world of warcraft for over a year now on a private server and have found it addictive yet frustrating to play a game without a pause button and a "not so friendly" community.So i was thinking if there are any good alternatives of wow which have the same experience like gearing your character and leveling it up but without the mmo angle to it so that i can play it by myself without any sort of interaction with other people and yet have a similar gaming experience.

PS i do not own any console just a laptop :) and yes i simply love tower defense games as well i am not much of a graphics enthusiast so mind blowing graphics isn't something i look for in any video games. 

Could try Guild Wars, it's similar to WoW except only towns are hosted online. Normally you'd party up then it makes the leader host the game outside of towns, but there are npc party characters you can invite instead. I've only ever played the first game and not Guild Wars 2 but I'm guessing it'll be similar.

• Like 1

In terms of simularity it's hard to replicate an mmo experience without the mmo part.  With more and more games compatible with the workshop in Steam people are beginning to mod games to add depth to the npcs to give it more of a team feel despite being single player.  TES V is a good example of that.  In regards to the sheer size of WoW that's been described to me (I've not played it myself) the third Dragon Age game has a nice large world with depth to it.  The draw back is that it's EA exclusive.  TERA was just released on Steam as well and might be an acceptable alternative, if it's the way it was before then you have the option to play PvE or PvP at your discression.  In my experience with the game the community was overall very pleasant.  I think it had to do with the fact that it's a player regulated game to some degree.  If you want to stick with Blizzard it's not quite the same but there is always Diablo 3,  definitely worth whatever the price is now that they've gone to great length to fix it's problems.  It's not out yet but you may want to consider Kingdom Under Fire 2 as well, again it's not quite the same but it offers the same choice between interaction with the community of player or going at it alone.  I don't know much about WoW so this may be completely off target but hopefully it helps.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well to name a few The Elder Scrolls series(Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim), Dragon Age series, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Two Worlds series, Diablo series, The Witcher series(graphics intensive). Also the Fallout series mainly Fallout 3 and New Vegas. All of those are on PC and have a modding community.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...