Fanservice: whats the point?

Bardon

No seriously, can I really be the only one who generally finds it irrelevant?

The genres of ecchi or harem aren't what I'm (entirely) talking about, just those shows in which the story and the theme behind said story make it too distracting and pointless for any amount of fanservice to be placed.

One of the biggest examples: High School of the Dead.

Zombified city, blood/gore everywhere, a complete set for a supposed horror anime.............but NOPE. Lets also for some odd reason add in a whole bunch of cleavages, flashes and.......bouncing. x___________x

Basically anime like that, in which it can be "contradicting".

Personally I could of course take it a step further by saying all ecchi/harem anime is pointless and that merely reading the description about Seikon no Qwasar gave me nightmares, but I think I'll just leave it at that for now.

I have to agree with Qrazed, there are certain part of audience, that enjoys watching anime just for fanservice; and as long as there are fans, there will be content for them to spend money on.
Anime Seikon no Qwaser (mentioned in opening post) is fairly good example how creators completely dropped any resemblance of story, action and character development when making second season. This and their next project clearly shows, that even without any effort of crafting plot one can still succeed as long as there is lots of PLOT.

Still, term "fanservice" can be applied to other elements besides underwear/nudity, like deanzel's example, or as demonstrated by Shaft in their unique ways. Due to this, while I don't enjoy having unrequited panties on screen, I can't condemn fanservice entirely.

Well in regards to fanservice it can vary.

For example, right now I'm watching Highschool DxD Born. That series is notorious for being fanservice heaven. But I particularly don't mind, because I'm not watching it for the fanservice.

At first, fanservice served as a form of...excitement. But now it's more of amusement than anything else. I'm not turned on by bouncing cowtitlers or random echii yuri moments. Not at all. I find those moments pretty gosh darn hilarious.

I pay more attention to the plot. And if fanservice serves a good purpose, that is to accelerate the plot rather than eskew it, then it's allright.

If these fanservice elements get in the way, however, then the series is lost. It becomes painfully obvious what the motive of the anime is, to generate money for the companies involved in its production, as Qrazed mentioned. I know that in the end commercial anime is all about making a profit but if generating that profit requires to throw the story in to the wind, then you have lost me as a customer.

So yeah, fanservice has its reasons. Sometimes its pointless, sometimes its humorous, and other times its exciting. So as long as it doesn't kill the plot then I'm okay with it.

• 4 weeks later...

To some extant I could agree that it’s there to attract more clients but, nowadays I’m starting to think that it’s a standard for Japanese anime. That thought came to my mind after a friend of mine asked me to come up with a list of some good action/adventure anime with good story plot and no fanservice or any type of ecchi in it. Needles to say, I had a very difficult time with that one.