A section for live-action shows

Beemo

IF there's an issue, then why not make it so the live-action stuff is strictly anime/video game related? Like the live-action Death Note movies or whatnot.

Because nobody wants that stuff. The stuff people are talking about is mostly Disney and Nick shows.

Most of the folks here, when they say they want to trade live-action shows, are referring mostly to obscure kids shows and movies. Things that really aren't available anywhere else.

This is exactly what I'm getting at. If you limit the shows to children oriented then maybe. It would somewhat stick to the overall tone of the site. However, it's up to Koby to decide, I'm just some guy spouting rubbish.

I understand that, but you seem to be forgetting what this site targets.

I don't believe this site should start hosting Top Gear or Arrow or Mad Men, shows like that. At which point do you start allowing uploads of software, films, books and music? Why stop at live action? Why should you only be allowed to upload anime OST's? Why cant I upload Hollywood films? At which point do you stop being about anime and games and become a general leech site like tehparadox?

Like cartoons, many adults couldn't care less about children's live-action. So it's often treated like disposable trash instead of being properly preserved.

Game of Thrones / Mad Men / Breaking Bad are easily available on torrents, IRC, Usenet, etc.

But try to look for Nickelodeon live-action shows...or a teen sitcom from NIne Network in Australia....and all of a sudden it's really damn hard.

Maybe there's an iTunes release we can decrypt if we're lucky. Maybe there are a couple of DVD volumes featuring the "best of" that series.

Or maybe it only aired on TV once and someone's obscure recordings are the only extant proof of the show.

As a kid in the late 90's I loved watching So Weird on Disney Channel. It would be nice to have an easily-accessible section where I could download it instead of spending hours finely combing through niche sites and contacting collectors for decent-quality rips of the show.

Edited by pikablu

We had a section for live-action before. It died from lack of active uploaders willing to keep links active after the MegaUpload fiasco of January 2012. Though it also wasn't as niche in it's pickings either. I might be up for allowing a live-action section that focused solely on live-action adaptations of animated works and other niche Nick/Disney classics like Are You Afraid of the Dark?! and So Weird, Animorphs, etc...

But it really would depend on how many people would be willing to step up and offer uploads for this.

I know of other communities (albeit nearly dead communities) who already feature most of this (CNS, DDW, etc...) and specific private trackers like myspleen. Is there really that much of a demand here at Kametsu for this?

I feel like as long as we have a few dedicated members uploading and active, there shouldn't be a problem with a section like that dying. It's not like we can't upload and post this kind of stuff already in the entertainment board but a dedicated section would make it more organized and easier to find such content.

Not to mention, those communities are invite only. Kametsu being of an open registration nature invites more possible uploaders to the community without having to jump through hoops.

Edited by UncleSkeleton

This idea has been proposed many times by different members, even once by myself, however it still has never happened.  Its ultimately up to Koby to allow the additional section or not.  However it would also need to be decided what the limitations are on the new "Live Action" section.  As several people have already mentioned, would both TV Shows and Hollywood Movies be allowed?  Would it be for TV Show Seasons Only?  Or would it be even more strict and only allow Disney/Nick TV Show Seasons?

Regardless of the choice, I am still in full support of adding the new section. 

• Like 1

This idea has been proposed many times by different members, even once by myself, however it still has never happened.  Its ultimately up to Koby to allow the additional section or not.  However it would also need to be decided what the limitations are on the new "Live Action" section.  As several people have already mentioned, would both TV Shows and Hollywood Movies be allowed?  Would it be for TV Show Seasons Only?  Or would it be even more strict and only allow Disney/Nick TV Show Seasons?

Regardless of the choice, I am still in full support of adding the new section. 

There are loads of fantastic children's shows outside of the narrow Disney / Nickelodeon spectrum, like Zack Files / The Big Wolf on Campus from YTV in Canada or Young Dracula on CBBC....or even original shows from non-USA Disney / Nickelodeon subsidiaries like Evermoor on Disney UK.

If there is such a section I prefer it would not be limited so strictly in scope. But it does need some focus, like TV show seasons from children / teen channels or clearly-defined children / teen blocks on existing channels (e.g. Cartoon Network live-action, but not Adult Swim live-action).

Edited by pikablu
  • Like 1

I think, given how HORRIBLE Megaupload's death and aftermath was, it's not fair to compare that to the current warez scene.

The entire Internet was far to dependent on that one site. Though I can't really blame them, since it offered unlimited bandwidth and no upload restrictions for the most part.

I can see Land of the Lost (the TV series, not the horrible movie) and Jason of Star Command, not to mention a number of the "puppet" shows being part of a new section, live action but aimed at kids on Saturday mornings. Don't know how many of those shows are easy to come by, I know the dvdrips of LotL were pretty crappy and I had a heck of a time finding Jason of Star Command at one time...what was that other show based on an 80s toy? Captain Power was it? It was live action and seems pretty hard to come by decent quality files, don't know how many kids aimed live action stuff made it to DVD though...

Heck, even the old Ghost Busters (the one BEFORE the movie, Filmation 70s?) live action show could make the grade as it's probably silly and kid friendly.

Of course, the question is who has this kind of stuff or who can find it? And the answer may end up being very few as these type of things aren't what many rippers focus on, what companies released to DVD and searching the net seems to be more difficult these days.

Be interseting to give it a shot. Worst thing that can happen is the section has no entries. lol

Besides puppet shows like Fraggle Rock, The Muppets and Dinosaurs there should be older shows based from manga and comic books too; Incredible Hulk, Batman, Wonder Woman, Lois & Clark...

I managed to find a MEGA link to the complete set of Star Trek The Next Generation in 1080p, though not sure if Koby would want something like that here.

I can see Land of the Lost (the TV series, not the horrible movie) and Jason of Star Command, not to mention a number of the "puppet" shows being part of a new section, live action but aimed at kids on Saturday mornings. Don't know how many of those shows are easy to come by, I know the dvdrips of LotL were pretty crappy and I had a heck of a time finding Jason of Star Command at one time...what was that other show based on an 80s toy? Captain Power was it? It was live action and seems pretty hard to come by decent quality files, don't know how many kids aimed live action stuff made it to DVD though...

Heck, even the old Ghost Busters (the one BEFORE the movie, Filmation 70s?) live action show could make the grade as it's probably silly and kid friendly.

Of course, the question is who has this kind of stuff or who can find it? And the answer may end up being very few as these type of things aren't what many rippers focus on, what companies released to DVD and searching the net seems to be more difficult these days.

Be interseting to give it a shot. Worst thing that can happen is the section has no entries. lol

Which version of "Land of the Lost" are you talking about?  I instantly thought about the 1991-1992 series that aired on ABC/Nick, which I used to really enjoy, but I couldnt find anything about it ever being released on DVD.  Just some youtube tv or vhs rips is all I have ever seen.

I am sure a show like that would be allowed, along with other oldies like "Hey Dude" and "Salute Your Shorts".