SOTW #183: Vertical Signatures / Death Note [Closed!]

Apollo

mv77.png

SIGNATURE OF THE WEEK #183

Theme: Vertical Signatures / Death Note

RULES:

• All entries are to be submitted by Wednesday, March 4th.
  • Your entry must be related to the chosen theme.
  • Only one entry per participant. However, you may edit your entry until the deadline.
  • Signatures must be your own work.
  • Entries can be in GIF, JPG, JPEG or PNG format, and should be no larger than 600x220 pixels. Animated signatures are allowed.
  • Pre-made signatures are allowed, as long as they have not been used in a past Kametsu competition.
  • In addition to your entry, please also submit a theme idea for next week's competition. Please check the SOTW Themes thread to make sure your theme has not already been used.
  • Please read all Graphical Division Rules and Forum Rules before entering. All rules apply.
  • Only entries should be posted until voting begins. Anything besides entries and staff announcements will be treated as spam and will be deleted. Comments, criticism, and discussions should be saved for voting. Exceptions such as theme clarification will be allowed at the discretion of the Graphics Team.
  • Complaints about the theme will not be tolerated, as this is disrespectful to the previous winner. As such, these posts will be deleted.

VOTING

RULES:

• All votes are to be submitted by Friday, March 6th.
  • To vote, reply to this thread, listing your top three signatures IN ORDER. First place gets three points, second gets two points, third gets one point; the person with the most points wins.
  • Along with your vote, you may say why you picked the signatures you picked, and/or leave constructive criticism for any entry you wish. Do not feel that you have to, but you may if you want.
  • Keep in mind the theme and the connection between the theme and the signature. Please do not vote for the render/image, but for the OVERALL signature you think looks best.
  • Avoid favoritism.
  • You may not vote for yourself.

EXAMPLE:

Sally - Fit the theme the best.
Bob - Text could have been better.
Anna - Render placement was a little off.

ENTRIES:

ParasiteEve

qqvn0p.jpg

Shazi

MisaSig_zpsdajdjnhh.png

Bardon

9bheu1.jpg

Athena

bad1b1p.jpg

Apollo

persona3%20copy_zpscsvr1cs9.png

RESULTS

FIRST PLACE

Apollo

SECOND PLACE

Athena

THIRD PLACE

Bardon

POINT BREAKDOWN:

Apollo - 19
Athena - 14
Bardon - 10
ParasiteEve - 9

Shazi - 8

Edited by Apollo

Voting is now open!!!

After speaking with Athena, we've decided to bring back the first, second, third choice voting format. We're going to use that format when we have four or more entries, and we'll use a poll if we have two or three entries. Obviously, if we only have one entry (or none!!!), we'll have to extend the deadline.

Please see this post for rules and entries.

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 1

We have done this because both times the polls have been up there have been ties.  Which reminded us why the other voting system was implemented. 

As for my votes...

ParasiteEve -  I love L even thou I have never seen the series.  I love the way he looks so adorable and cute.  I love this sig.

Apollo -  I love yours as well but you got second because the contrast levels that you do in most of your sigs is a little off for me. But still great job.

Bardon -  I LOVE GREED!  I love the way you handled this character but it still feels lacking, which is why you got third.  I can't quite place it, but its lacking for me.

Edited by Athena
  • Like 1

I love L even thou I have never seen the series.

You love L even though you've never seen the series?? Wait, You didn't watch DEATH NOTE!?!?!?!?! :P

It seems we've gone back to the original style:

1. Apollo  - I'm not good at CnC with Verticle Sigs. However, I still like your's a lot

2. Athena - I gave you second cause overall it's a nice sig, just a little too much pink going on

3. Bardon - Sorry not good at CnC, but greed is on of my fav FMA Characters(I'm not basing this on char alone)

1st Athena - I like the whole theme and how the notes/sheet music seems to envelope her. I do notice a random letter 'A' in the bottom left corner, was that intentional? Or were you planning to put your name there? 

2nd Shazi - A big plus for me is when the text matches that used in the series. Nice and simple sig. 

3rd Apollo - Just your kind of style. 

Addition feedback

ParasiteEve - I felt that the checkerboard in the background resembles too much of a transparency layer and it makes the sig feel "incomplete" in a way. If it were possible, I would have continued with the bigger of the checkered squares having them replace the smaller ones. There seems to be a definitive line between the two. Other than that, its good.

1st Athena - I like the whole theme and how the notes/sheet music seems to envelope her. I do notice a random letter 'A' in the bottom left corner, was that intentional? Or were you planning to put your name there?

That was intentional.  Anytime the full name doesn't quite look right in my sigs I put an "A" for Athena.  Its a new way I am doing it, because I don't  like leaving my sigs without my personally touch that says its mine.  So I picked a font I liked best and I use it for my "A" and its unique.  That way I am still signing my work without taking away from it too much.  Putting the full name in there just did not work with it and I put it like this.

• Like 1

I often intentionally refrain from voting in SOTWs that I myself compete in, mostly due to keeping things unbiased and not appear as if I'm giving the other peeps my vote because of any "technicalities".  xD

But at least in this one, I can try and start voting with CnC included to justify my choices? :P

So anyway here goes:

1. Apollo - I get the idea/intention you had with the lighting, mostly because your style is quite similar to my own. :X lol

But to be honest, it just falls a bit short with how bright the overall look already is. Try playing around with the levels in adjustments to see the difference I'm talking about.

2. Athena - Your sig is a SIGNIFICANTLY lively. (seewutididthar?)  But one teeny tiny problem: the patterns you tried to blend are too visible/standing out, especially the lower area with the blue. I can see 2 options to rectify that, one requiring an eraser tool to keep that stuff only in the background rather than on the render itself (which I believe may get messy and not something you'd be very fond of), the other method is to try a combination of blur overlaying and some color/level adjustment to make the minority colors....."seep" into the majority color.

3. Eve - I was honestly conflicted between you and Athena because personally I found the checker idea quite interesting. Only thing that made it too apparent how the thing might be just the transparent background in photoshop is the fact that you spread it from top to all the way bottom. You kept the hand upfront which was good, but same should've been done for his shirt. (not counting the hair coz I can see where you're going with that)

Oh and not sure if intentional but 2 opposite corners of your border look like they mixed into the sig rather than being black like the other 2.

Keep up the awesome work peepies~

giphy.gif

• Like 2