PC vs Console gaming

sloppyjoe103

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone should just enjoy the games and stop with the whole pc vs console war but that will never happen. I personally game more on console (ps4) than on my pc because there is where a majority of my friends game on. At the end of the day you will most likely be gaming on whatever system your friends are on because it's more fun to game with friends than being by your lonesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gotta love those who think PC is the master race and don't even give consoles a second thought. Don't get me wrong, PC does have its advantages but it all depends on the type of PC. Most people I know can't afford a good PC thus they by consoles to get their gaming fill. And I find games more pleasant and easy to play on a console rather than a PC or Laptop seeing as there can be that many conflicting programs or errors you can get as a result of the way your PC's programs can be set up.

I have spent weeks fixing issues on my laptop just to play one or two games that all I would need to do on a console is put in the disc and enjoy. But with my laptop I do enjoy having steam, getting cheap games and modding my games. I find that PC and console games are good in their own areas and I play on both so I am not really biased towards consoles or PC gaming.

Both have their limitations and both have their advantages. If I was to pick one I would pick consoles are better for basic gaming, if you want to take it a little bit further and then PC is your main bet, that is if you have a PC or Laptop that can run good quality games smoothly (I do not have one). My Laptop isn't crap it can run some pretty good games but can't hold a candle to top quality laptops (Such as High end Alienware Laptops or even specially built PC's).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to be primarily a console gamer. However, I have moved over to PC gaming for a few reasons...

1. It is far more convenient. I get to have all my games on one platform and don't have to hook up multiple consoles.

2. Games are far cheaper, ESPECIALLY if you wait for Steam Summer / Fall / Winter sales.

3. Mods. The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod alone is one of the greatest fan projects ever spawned. It pretty much completely redeemed the vanilla version of Knights of the Old Republic 2 for me. Other mods can fix errors made by developers, enhance existing audio / graphical assets, or even add entirely new gameplay and story (To continue on the Star Wars games, Brotherhood of Shadow for Knights of the Old Republic 1 and the Total Conversion Mod for Battlefront 2).

4. Visual Fidelity is higher.

About the only reason I still have consoles is for the console exclusive franchises I like (Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Kingdom Hearts, Super Mario, and Legend of Zelda). If it wasn't for those series, I would be a 100% PC gamer.

I'm seeing a lot of "Console advantage = Exclusives". Exclusives are not an advantage, they're a disadvantage. The highest amounts of games sold are on console, it's the bigger part of the gaming market. However because of this, it enforces a lot of anti-consumer practices that people are compelled to endorse. One of these is console exclusive games.

Once a game is exclusive, it forces the hand of people who want to play that game into owning the console in question. Which in of itself isn't bad, but there are several consequences to this:

1. Since it is made exclusively for that specific console, any future ports to other platforms will be an inferior experience.

2. It generates brand fanaticism, people will often defend their purchase and their console with fervor. Which in the long run can badly influence communities.

3. Console exclusive games allow the publisher/retailer to get away with unhealthy business practices, without too much resistance from the consumers.

Of course there are some advantages as well, platform exclusive games allow the developer of the game to experiment with mechanics and features that take full advantage of the consoles capabilities. However because the console market makes up the majority of the industry, most of the bad habits occur because of it. That's not to say none of it is because of the PC market, an example of this is the mass purchase of unfinished games through Green Light and other such services.

All in all, I'm not really against consoles or console exclusives. It's more about the fact that people still pay companies for bad business practices, because they "want" an exclusive game. All the pre-order DLC and season passes eventually creates an environment where consumers over-pay for lesser quality products, which should not be the case.

PC all the way, baby.

1. You can play with a keyboard, so you can easily chat in multiplayer games
  2. Even if you don't like playing with a keyboard, there a products like the Steam controller
  3. You can much more easily customize your system
  4. You can use your PC for other things, e.g. you can use Spotify or some website while gaming. You can do so on consoles, too, but it is much more difficult to do that with controllers
On 2.1.2015. at 11:24 PM, Notoffensive said:

Expensive as shit to maintain.

Epensive as shit to build anything worthwhile.

I use a 200 euro PC for gaming, and it was pre-built. I run CS:GO, Gmod, TF2, etc, no prob. I understand that those aren't demanding games, but still. And I get to browse the web, code, etc as well for less than the price of a console?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PC's can be upgraded over time making them current, consoles you have to get the next gen to stay current, and as far as exclusives go some are porting them to PC as well so chances are you can play them on PC later, sure might not be at launch of said game but damn near close,

HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO SPEND IS THE BOTTOM LINE!

On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 4:57 PM, witt said:

I don't own a console, and I don't think I'll ever do. So PC all the way for me. :)

I hope I never have to.  That is, consoles are usually cheaper/more affordable because part of their HW cost is underwritten by the game sales.  With PC's game developers don't usually have to pay for access to the platform like they do on consoles.  Also -- it used to be, but not so much these days, that because of the extra licensing costs on consoles, Console games were more expensive (even though they had less resolution, fewer features and limited update potential). 

That said, PC prices are going up for desktops because the desktop market is being squeezed to make way for the cloud providers and because there aren't as many sales.  Think about just the processor -- say an Intel procesor.  You can't buy a single core, and I don't think Intel makes dual core x86-64 cpus anymore.   Now, I see options for 8-10 cores and over 20 at the high end -- Intel can't make them FASTER -- they learned that, they can only make them "wider" (more parallel tasks at same time with more cores).  Problem is that end-user-software hasn't adapted to make use of the width -- and the only ones that can make use of the width are companies that rent PC time out to multiple users (i.e. cloud providers).

As time goes forward, CPU manufacturers won't want to make x86-64 cpu chips with lower numbers of cores because the profit margin isnt' there -- they can charge more for chips w/more cores and get higher profit margins -- so just looking at the cpu, one can see strong factors going into making more chips with 10-20-??? cores which home users are not likely to be able to use or want to pay for.  Lower-end chips with 6-8 cores are already too much for most consumers to use, and certainly they don't really want to pay for them.  The Atom type processors for handhelds are going to be the new consumer-centric chip, which really doesn't have enough power for cool games. 

So how much longer PC's will be affordable for the masses, and not just the top 1-3% of the populace -- who knows.  Besides, as soon as MS requires secure-boot on Windows-branded PC's, the game is pretty much over -- the PC will have become a console, with software being locked down as dictated by MS.  MS already requires secure boot on all their Window offerings for non-x86-based computers, but didn't want to encumber Win10 with that problem -- instead they did every dirty deed possible (and are still doing them as patches are released to disable more Win7 functionality -- most recently 'Journal') to get people to move to the pay-as-you-go Win10...  lame!

A*a

• 4 weeks later...