PC vs Console gaming

sloppyjoe103

I prefer PC because of the control you have over things and mods or customization's, plus other advantages.

The only reason I even use a console anymore is to play with friends who don't have the games on PC or have a lower end computer that cant run them all. I've kinda fallen away from consoles after PS2 was done from lack of time to sit and play games all day anymore and I'm on computer more anyways. I can emulate PS2 or tons of other consoles on my computer anyways and since it's probly my favorite console, I don't really need consoles all that much except for friends and exclusives.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like both. Though I guess I would have to say my "preferred" right now is consoles (specifically PS3/PS4/Vita) because that's where 90% of the games I enjoy the most are and those games are usually exclusive. I stick mainly to JRPGs and although Steam has some, it doesn't have nearly as much as the PlayStation platforms have. It's nice to see that Steam is starting to get more though. 

Though if a game releases on both Steam and a PlayStation console, I'm probably still going to get it on my console instead, because I prefer physical copies over digital, and I love buying Limited/Collector's Editions and obviously Steam isn't going to have those most of the time. However if I like a game enough, I'll definitely double dip and get it on Steam as well to support it more.

• 4 weeks later...

To me it feels like console gaming is getting all the negatives of PC gaming. For one they are no longer plug and play. You buy a new game and you have to update the system firmware to play it. You wait a half hour and that's done. Then when you think you're ready to play the game requires you to install it. Once that's done you still aren't ready to play since you have to install patches for the game.

And PC gaming has adapted some of the nicer things about console gaming. They're much better designed to work with TVs now than they used to since they have HDMI ports, and most PC games coming out nowadays have native Xbox 360 controller support.

To me it just depends on what genres you prefer. For example playing a fighting game an a PC with a keyboard and mouse isn't always the most pleasant experience (though you can always buy a controller) and having to play a Real Time Strategy game with a controller on a console isn't always fun either, though it often depends on the particular game. Some games (like RPGs) tend to work well on both PC and consoles.

Hello, this is my first post here, so I hope everything is ok:

Advantages of PCs

• You can find a lot of games like in the Steam Origin store.
  • Most games (physical disk) are very expensive but a lot are cheap (in key stores).
  • It is easy to do more things at the same time.
  • Shooter good at playing with PC.

Disadvantages

• Hardware can be quite expensive (& and difficult to change if you don't have any ideas how or you have a notbook).
  • Not every game were release for PC (damn Exclusives).
  • Without a gaming wheel maybe hard to play games like "NfS" or "Project CARS".

Consoles Advantage

• Console exclusive games.
  • You can play every game with a steady FPS. (most games)
  • Mostly cheaper than a good PC.

Disadvantages

• Your games don't have the highest graphic optimum.
  • Some games are a bit different from their PC buddies.

• 2 weeks later...

PC because...

1. I believe the graphics are the same but on your pc if you want to have the latest graphic card to play games on the highest quality you change your graphic card.

2. If your gamepad controller isn't compatible or it's broken you can play with your keyboard.

3. Nowdays the new games doesn't be realeased only on consoles to promote the consoles. They released on pcs too, even if it's on a later day.

4. You can play and old games like Far Cry.

5. The pc games are more affordable from console games. Even if you don't want buy the retail version of the game and you want only the digitall version the price is more cheaper and i notice that the price on the pc games when times pass by drops. On the other hand, on the console games it doesn't drop so quick.

They only thing that lacks on the pc is that some games are never released on pcs and they released only on specific consoles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got both and they have their own merits. Overall I love PC mostly because mods because dedicated modders accomplish a lot from fixing bugs to altering gameplay in a way you like.

Example: Dragon Age Origins DLC had abilities which did not work in the Expansion and modders fixed it ASAP while Devs took one and a half years or so. And that final patch did not even fix many other bugs mods had. Mods also allowed to skip a tedious "dream Level" and adjust Gore to suit your liking.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going just off of the general feel and playing style alone and not off of other advantages such as mod/alts etc...

Having played games on both. I would say I prefer console gaming over PC gaming.

I haven't played a PC game in a very long time, but when I did, I liked PC gaming for more of the strategy type games like Worms. (Games where you could take your time and not make instant decisions) and football/soccer games. (which do not require too much input).

I tried to play Hitman 1: code name 47 on the PC a while back using a keyboard and found it hard to play as well as to remember the commands as there was so much you could do and too much action happening at the same time.

They would be much easier to play with a PC controller which mimicked one of the console control pads. Of course this way I would not see much of a difference between the 2 in terms of general play.

I guess in the end it comes down to what you are more exposed to. I know people that cannot use a controller and would prefer a keyboard and mouse, I also know people that cannot play fighting games without a joystick.

On 11/22/2015 at 8:06 PM, InternetPersons said:

To me it feels like console gaming is getting all the negatives of PC gaming. For one they are no longer plug and play. You buy a new game and you have to update the system firmware to play it. You wait a half hour and that's done. Then when you think you're ready to play the game requires you to install it. Once that's done you still aren't ready to play since you have to install patches for the game.

And PC gaming has adapted some of the nicer things about console gaming. They're much better designed to work with TVs now than they used to since they have HDMI ports, and most PC games coming out nowadays have native Xbox 360 controller support.

It's not as complicated as PC's is yet, not that I feel PC's are terribly complicated, but it's definitely becoming more of a hassle. For Christmas, we had to open up the XboxOne we'd gotten for a family member as present awhile before while they were out so we could update everything. The idea being, they'd be able to just plug and play when they opened it on Christmas. It was even more of a hassle because you had to have a Microsoft account to even get started, then there were some odd graphical bugs on the menu. We ended up spending far too long setting everything up. And then to cap it off we forgot to check the games, so they had to all be updated when we tried them out on Christmas. And now we're getting rumors of some PS4 sort of upgraded version, weakening the "don't have to worry about buying upgrades or weird hardware incompatibility with consoles" argument. Console companies would love it if they could sell expensive upgrades like PCs but also keep the control of a closed source console.

Personally, I'm comfortable enough with PC gaming now to just wish everything came out on it for convenience. But I understand the business side that still encourages exclusives. A number of games simply wouldn't be funded because the console publishers only fund them to get software to get people to buy the consoles. It's just an economic balancing act. Overall, exclusives are a bad practice for consumers, but consumers themselves can individually benefit from individual exclusives being made when they otherwise might not.