Destiny Discussion Thread [Contains Spoilers]

J-Lord

I have seen a lot of threads about Destiny, but none really discussing the game itself in it's final release state.

I am a fan of Destiny, Sure it is not a 10/10 game but is still a lot of fun with friends. I have played it everyday since its release. The gameplay is great and the soundtrack is beautiful, sadly the same cannot be said about the storyline.

A good game must have a great storyline, one that makes you want to discuss the next day with your mates. Does Destiny do that??? In my opinion....no. Destinys storyline is one that can go to great places and at times leaves you wanting more. It is too bad that those times are few in number and you are constantly asking yourself what am I doing now?

You get caught up with everything else that is happening in the Destiny world that the main story takes a back seat while you interact with the Destiny world. There is a lot to do in that world so the story can easily be forgotten before you pick it up again and wonder what where you up to or why are we going to this planet again?

Playability is high with Destiny, considering you do the same missions over and over again in the hopes to get great rewards that will send you up the ranks in the Online world and for me I don't mind doing the same levels over and over again seeing as you can change the difficulty to suit your character.

So what are your thought? let me know what you think of Destiny?

Edited by J-Lord

As a Bungie fan, I felt somewhat obliged to get Destiny. After Halo Reach, I wondered what they'd come up with next. And here we are.

The storyline was indeed underwhelming. I was expecting a bit more background or explanation on some of the things in the game, rather than getting grimoire (did I spell it right?) cards and going to Bungie.net to read up on those characters, enemies, etc. Not to mention questions like, what is the Darkness? Are there other aliens out there? How do we actually stop them, and etc.

Even so, I've been playing Destiny since it came out, and it's certainly more fun when playing it with friends. I do love the gameplay and some of the mechanics in it. What gets tiring is the farming, but I just do it now and then while I level up my different classes of characters. And admittedly I suck at multiplayer, but I'm decent in the Crucible. Character customization is also fine, but I kinda wished there more options to use.

Here's hoping DLC will expand on the story, aside from giving us more Raids. Yeesh, my friends and I have yet to tackle the Vault of Glass, and I know it's gonna be painful. I have a feeling that instead of getting a Destiny 2 or whatever, it'll be expansions like how WoW is doing. But if things don't get better, or give enough reason for people to come back and play, then it was all for nothing. 

I've seen enough of why people hate Destiny, how underwhelming in several areas it is aside from the story. Even so, I enjoy playing it. But starting next week, I'll be balancing it out/taking a break from it once Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is released. And of course any other games coming out in the rest of 2014. But still, as overhyped as it was, Destiny isn't THE worst game ever, and has room for improvement.

• Like 1

Note from J-Lord: No Spoiler below just shortening the quote.

As a Bungie fan, I felt somewhat obliged to get Destiny. After Halo Reach, I wondered what they'd come up with next. And here we are.

The storyline was indeed underwhelming. I was expecting a bit more background or explanation on some of the things in the game, rather than getting grimoire (did I spell it right?) cards and going to Bungie.net to read up on those characters, enemies, etc. Not to mention questions like, what is the Darkness? Are there other aliens out there? How do we actually stop them, and etc.

Even so, I've been playing Destiny since it came out, and it's certainly more fun when playing it with friends. I do love the gameplay and some of the mechanics in it. What gets tiring is the farming, but I just do it now and then while I level up my different classes of characters. And admittedly I suck at multiplayer, but I'm decent in the Crucible. Character customization is also fine, but I kinda wished there more options to use.

Here's hoping DLC will expand on the story, aside from giving us more Raids. Yeesh, my friends and I have yet to tackle the Vault of Glass, and I know it's gonna be painful. I have a feeling that instead of getting a Destiny 2 or whatever, it'll be expansions like how WoW is doing. But if things don't get better, or give enough reason for people to come back and play, then it was all for nothing. 

I've seen enough of why people hate Destiny, how underwhelming in several areas it is aside from the story. Even so, I enjoy playing it. But starting next week, I'll be balancing it out/taking a break from it once Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is released. And of course any other games coming out in the rest of 2014. But still, as overhyped as it was, Destiny isn't THE worst game ever, and has room for improvement.

Well said. I too feel that some areas like characters and unanswered questions could have been better handled. Part of me also hopes there is a Destiny 2 but I also feel that this may come out as a Big update for Destiny after these small DLC packs.

I too have yet to tackle the glass vault, wondering how to go about it with only 3 of my mates having the game. Should make things interesting.

Only time I play the Crucible is when I have Bounties that must be completed like the Reef Bounties. I am good at it when I am not restricted to getting head shots with a scount rifle. (that bounty just kept coming back!!)

I read through this hoping for no spoilers which I got lol and although I'm only starting Destiny on sunday, your posts haven't really wavered me from wanting to play it, however I do agree that a good story generally makes a game great so I'm looking forward to seeing how this one plays out, even if it isn't the best, also if you two wish to game with me sometime, I'd be up for that since I don't know anyone else who is playing it.

I read through this hoping for no spoilers which I got lol and although I'm only starting Destiny on sunday, your posts haven't really wavered me from wanting to play it, however I do agree that a good story generally makes a game great so I'm looking forward to seeing how this one plays out, even if it isn't the best, also if you two wish to game with me sometime, I'd be up for that since I don't know anyone else who is playing it.

Sorry for the spoilers Dark, have marked the Topic to say this topic contains spoilers. Just sorry it wasn't quick enough to save yourself from them.

What Console do you play Destiny on? From what I understand the Online Cross play is restricted so only xbox one users can play Xbox One users and Ps4 play with PS4. Same goes for the last gen consoles.

I have an Xbox One mainly to get future Halo games, and in the meantime, I got Destiny for it. If only it had cross platform play, I'd join ya. But sadly, there is no such feature.  -_- I am sorta building up better gear and more classes for future raids, among other things, so adding more friends to my clan (if I can even call it that) would also be good.

Sorry for the spoilers Dark, have marked the Topic to say this topic contains spoilers. Just sorry it wasn't quick enough to save yourself from them.

What Console do you play Destiny on? From what I understand the Online Cross play is restricted so only xbox one users can play Xbox One users and Ps4 play with PS4. Same goes for the last gen consoles.

The only spoiler was that the story wasnt so crash hot which I'll have to judge for myself anyway and I'll be playing it on ps4 so unfortunately we likely won't be able to play it together

The only spoiler was that the story wasnt so crash hot which I'll have to judge for myself anyway and I'll be playing it on ps4 so unfortunately we likely won't be able to play it together

It is a shame that this games isn't cross platform but I guess that is the way it has to be. Hopefully Destiny brings out more to get me interested in it again, playing it on and off currently still a fun game, just feels like there isn't a whole lot I can do that I haven't already done

• Like 1

It is a shame that this games isn't cross platform but I guess that is the way it has to be. Hopefully Destiny brings out more to get me interested in it again, playing it on and off currently still a fun game, just feels like there isn't a whole lot I can do that I haven't already done

I've only played Destiny for about 2 days and I'm already lvl 14, I kind of avoided the missions to go chest hunting since lots of people seem to either not know where they are or not care, I've made 10k glimmer mostly from chests and I bought myself a new sparrow lol. So far the story seems a bit short, giving only around 5 missions or so per world and I'm assuming that's the end of it but I havent got there yet, I just hit Venus and I don't know why people have told me lvl 20 is the level cap since I've seen higher level enemies than that soo yeah, any advice for this game too btw?

I've only played Destiny for about 2 days and I'm already lvl 14, I kind of avoided the missions to go chest hunting since lots of people seem to either not know where they are or not care, I've made 10k glimmer mostly from chests and I bought myself a new sparrow lol. So far the story seems a bit short, giving only around 5 missions or so per world and I'm assuming that's the end of it but I havent got there yet, I just hit Venus and I don't know why people have told me lvl 20 is the level cap since I've seen higher level enemies than that soo yeah, any advice for this game too btw?

Level 20 is the max level for leveling with xp. Once you hit 20 you can start finding items that have a light perk on them. The more Light you have the higher your level is beyond 20, I think you can only get to a max of 29 or 30 with the best gear in the game.

Hmm I don't know what advise I could offer... What class are you? I guess if you ever get some purple gear don't upgrade unless you think you want the perks it offers. Upgrading purple armor is different from blue and green classed gear as it requires much rarer and harder to get materials and a lot of them at that.

In terms of gear the rarity level goes from White -> Green -> Blue -> Purple -> Yellow

Most of my gear is made up of blue items except for two purple items and one yellow (Exotic Gear). I have a purple helmet or mask for my hunter class which I am upgrading and don't have enough materials to fully upgrade it. I also have a chest plate which I am waiting to get a better looking one before upgrading. Lastly my most prized item is my exotic sniper rifle only has six bullets, cannot reload or get ammo for but it will recharge its ammo over time and is powerful.

Destiny is a fun short game, hopefully they bring more out for it soon but other than playing it on and off it will be awhile before I get back into it, the queens bounty thing they had a little while ago was enough to keep me going as I wanted my class item from it which I did get.

My highest character in Destiny so far is my Titan, at Level 28. I dunno if I'll hit 30 anytime soon, but probably before the year ends. In the meantime, I'm leveling up my Warlock and Hunter (moreso for the former) as to even things out with my clan when we do start doing the raids.

I mean, yeah, I don't mind doing bounties, daily & weekly, to level up my characters, weapons, etc. & in order to get more glimmer, materials, & other currencies to level up what I got, but the Crucible stuff just varies for me. I'm either having a good time with my pals, whether or not we win, or on some days, I just give up cuz some other players are purposely being a dick to me. I dunno.

I'll at least get back to Destiny when the new expansions come along. And in the future, Bungie better have learned their lessons from all this. If not, then they really need to get their sh!t together. 

My highest character in Destiny so far is my Titan, at Level 28. I dunno if I'll hit 30 anytime soon, but probably before the year ends. In the meantime, I'm leveling up my Warlock and Hunter (moreso for the former) as to even things out with my clan when we do start doing the raids.

I mean, yeah, I don't mind doing bounties, daily & weekly, to level up my characters, weapons, etc. & in order to get more glimmer, materials, & other currencies to level up what I got, but the Crucible stuff just varies for me. I'm either having a good time with my pals, whether or not we win, or on some days, I just give up cuz some other players are purposely being a dick to me. I dunno.

I'll at least get back to Destiny when the new expansions come along. And in the future, Bungie better have learned their lessons from all this. If not, then they really need to get their sh!t together. 

I only have one character lol, level 25. When I was playing Destiny I took my sweet time and enjoyed what was there in the game, story, bounties and just doing other things in the destiny world. It is after you hit 20 that the game really slows down even though you can start getting the good stuff for your character. Bungie did say they are harder on themselves the critics that criticize the game, So without doubt we will see some improvements on the game in the future if not Destiny 2 at the very least.

Don't get me wrong Destiny is a good game, just not as good as all the hype gave it. Seeing as this is a MMO styled game in a way meaning it needs constant internet connection, there is a possibility that Destiny can majorly improve with some updates in the future.

Internet is the way for games in the future and Bungie took a huge step making a game like this for consoles. They now have to work hard to make it work well, they had a rough but good start at the same time. I look forward to seeing what they will do next as I think we all will.

I only have one character lol, level 25. When I was playing Destiny I took my sweet time and enjoyed what was there in the game, story, bounties and just doing other things in the destiny world. It is after you hit 20 that the game really slows down even though you can start getting the good stuff for your character. Bungie did say they are harder on themselves the critics that criticize the game, So without doubt we will see some improvements on the game in the future if not Destiny 2 at the very least.

Don't get me wrong Destiny is a good game, just not as good as all the hype gave it. Seeing as this is a MMO styled game in a way meaning it needs constant internet connection, there is a possibility that Destiny can majorly improve with some updates in the future.

Internet is the way for games in the future and Bungie took a huge step making a game like this for consoles. They now have to work hard to make it work well, they had a rough but good start at the same time. I look forward to seeing what they will do next as I think we all will.

I'm gonna speak on some of your other post too, just not gonna quote that bit lol. I already knew the level of rarity for gear, it seems to be pretty much the same for most games, so far I've got all green items, a couple blue things and today I got myself a blue rarity handcannon with 11 rounds that is so op it isnt funny lol, headshotting enemies was never more satisfying and since I was using a 13 shot scout rifle, the only thing ive lost is my sights which Im a better shot with iron sights anyway lol. Ive seen a lot of the purple gear for sale with the merchants and today i got my first mote of light out of a chest at lvl 17 which i was surprised by cuz i thought you could only get them at 20 lol. Im playing Hunter too, I was wondering what the hell is up with my subclass, I clearly have to lvl it seperately but thats annoying because ive already cleared most missions and yeah, its annoying that it didnt just fill out with all the skill points my other class already had.

So far I'm still enjoying it but it definitely seems like a game that doesnt stay with you, its like a few days, hit lvl 20 and youd probably be over it. I'll admit theres a few things i wanna keep playing it just to get and I've got a friend getting it soon so Ill play with them too but I hope they add A LOT more to this game, well Im off to hit lvl 20

• 2 weeks later...