Movies vs. Books

Elsch

So far I don't think I've read the book of anything first before the movie came out. I read the harry potter book before the movie came out but never finished it, but finished it after the movie was out....I only ended up reading the first lol. But I usually don't read fantasy books much.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It's true that the book will generally always be better, but there are some pretty worthy adaptations that I have seen (to which I enjoyed both the book and the movie/series).

~~~ Dune: I didn't think so highly of the 1984 movie, although it's still watchable. Now the 2000 mini-series is bloody awesome in comparison, given how long the book is no single movie could ever capture the essence of Dune. The 3-part mini-series does it justice, I think, and I love watching it again every year or two. The Children of Dune mini-series is pretty decent too, although the first is easily superior. I didn't read the book until after I had seen the TV show.

~~~ The Stand: This is both my favourite Stephen King book and movie. The Uncut edition of the book is like 1,200 pages, so again no short movie could ever hope to be even half-decent. The four-part mini-series did the job mighty finely, which is probably also because Stephen King had a lot of involvement with it. A few big things were naturally changed and left out, but it is forgivable. The only way to mimic the book perfectly would be to have a 22-episode TV series or something; maybe two of them. >_> Still, I think this was a fantastic movie and very well-cast. I actually saw the movie first, and a few times at that before I actually read the book (Uncut). I think this was beneficial because it really helped me appreciate the deep back-story of the characters, where I probably wouldn't have cared or perhaps found a lot of it to be boring.

Edit: Forgot to mention, in the case of the Game of Thrones, I saw the first episode and loved it, but then decided to read the book first before proceeding further. After I have done both I will then proceed with the rest of the Song of Ice and Fire novel series.

• 3 weeks later...

Some books should just be left as books

after seeing the Eragon movie I now believe that whole heartedly that movie was horribly done and they can't even continue the series

but other movies are very good when adapted from books... so can't really judge a movie by its book cover I guess they say

Elsch if i want to enjoy the movie for the movie, its better not to read the book(s) first. However, since all movie makers can do these days is remake the old movies or make new movies based off of books, its going to get to a point were i have read the books prior to the movie coming out. for example, "i am number four"... read the book before it came out, saw the movie and cursed it for being sooo bad!!